removing scuff marks or fine scratches from pocket knife bolsters

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
henryrawski

removing scuff marks or fine scratches from pocket knife bolsters

Post by henryrawski »

What is the best way to remove fine scratches from knife bolsters. I`ve tried Case polish with a dremel buffing wheel. It polished, but the scratches remained. I got some red rouge, but haven`t used any yet. Will polishing a knife detract it`s value? Thanks. Henry My email is henryrawski@bellsouth.net
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: removing scuff marks or fine scratches from pocket knife bolsters

Post by treefarmer »

I've had good results with Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish on nickelsilver bolsters, especially on fine scratches.
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Welcome to AAPK.

+1 on the Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish, especially if it's preceded by the use of 3M Micron Polishing Paper. ---► https://www.walmart.com/ip/37-948-3M-Mi ... 3=&veh=sem
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I have used Flitz or Simichrome polish with good results. Both are German made products and come in toothpaste like tubes.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Known by the names nickel silver, white brass, Maillechort, German silver, Argentan, new silver, nickel brass, albata, alpacca, or electrum it's a copper alloy with nickel and often zinc. Sooooo any of those products will "polish" it but to work fine scratches out of it, you need a very fine abrasive such as the 3M Micron Polishing Paper I recommended. Work your way down from the coarsest to the finest of course, use it wet or dry. Or, if you have the appropriate buffing wheels, buffing mediums and skills, that's another way to go.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

On nickel silver bolsters, I have had very good luck using a white rouge on a buffing wheel. However, do not use that method if you have scrolled bolsters or a serial number stamped into the bolster. Scrolled bolsters or bolsters with serial numbers can still be polished with Simichrome, however.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I would go with the Mother's Mag Wheel Polish as well. Been using it for years with really good results. I would NOT advocate the use of a buffing wheel for a couple of reasons:
It is way too easy to build up excessive heat and if you have plastic or some other synthetic handles they can easily warp.Once this happens it is almost impossible to straighten them out.
But the biggest reason is no matter how careful one is when using a buffing wheel it is way too easy for the knife to get caught in the wheel which usually results in said knife being catapulted straight down and either smashing into the floor or smashing into your foot. Even with the blade closed it can cause severe damage to the knife;not to mention your foot!
Hand polishing is the only way to go. Take it from someone who has come dangerously close to putting a blade through his foot!
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”