Please help me identify my Dad's knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Oldwolf

Please help me identify my Dad's knife

Post by Oldwolf »

I found this knife in my father's belongings.
It's nicely made, stainless steel with bone inserts, I believe.
Blade is hollow ground, and the overall length of the piece is 7" open and 4" closed.
The bade stamping looks like AKER with a swooping "R" and dagger.
Please see the attached photos.
Does anyone here know about this brand?
Attachments
Ayer (2) (Large).JPG
Ayer (3) (Large).JPG
Ayer (4) (Large).JPG
Ayer (1) (Large).JPG
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Please help me identify my Dad's knife

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Welcome to AAPK, the friendliest knife site on the internet!! ::tu::

I don't know who made it, but I read the stylized tang stamp as stating "Maker; TR".

That might be a custom made one-off or it might be a mass produced knife wanting to appear as a custom knife.

There is an extensive list of custom makers in Levine's Guide and he usually included a description of their marks if possible, but it is not up to date.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Hmm - I don't think I agree with Charlie's "Maker" or your "Aker". I see ARXR or MARXR. I'm going to guess that knife has origins in Pakistan or India.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

I'm going to have to side with Charlie on this one;definitely looks like "TR maker". Interframe knives with ivory(I think)inserts are not something that is mass produced.The finish on the knife looks to be a cut above any production knife although some of the Chinese stuff I've seen recently is getting there.
All my knife books are fairly old so checking for the initials for me might be futile as there are so many new makers on the scene now.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

I am pretty sure my uncle gave it to my dad many years ago. I am checking with him to see if he recalls giving it to Dad. My uncle is a man that likes nice things, knifes, guns, real estate, so my guess is that the knife is custom built. I will be very bummed out if it is made in Asia somewhere. ::teary_eyes::
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

My vote goes to it being a very nicely crafted custom folder. ::tu::

::welcome:: to AAPK.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Oldwolf

Post by Oldwolf »

philco wrote:My vote goes to it being a very nicely crafted custom folder. ::tu::

::welcome:: to AAPK.
I hope so!
I will keep the delusion going until my Uncle verifies things one way or another!
HaHa!

(Thanks for the welcome!)
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Two possibilities from Levine's Guide IV Edition, 1997.

Tom Riker, Martinsburg, WV

Tom Ross, Riverside, CA

Levine did not provide active dates or mark descriptions for either.

He also listed a Tom Russell, but stated "RUSSELL" was the mark he used.

The font in the mark on the OP is strange, but I'm pretty sure it says, "MAKER".

I did not recognize the inserts as ivory or Mastodon ivory. If that is the case, it's most probably a custom knife.

You can attempt to locate those gentlemen on the internet. If they are alive and still active or their work continued by a son or apprentice, they might have a website. If so, you can show them the knife and ask if it's their work.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I see this knife as an "interframe" with an inlay that could be mammoth ivory. This method of knife construction was popularized by Jack Busfield & Steve Hoel in early 1990's (or late 1980's ?) Eventually other custom knife makers began making interframe with inlay knives. The O.P. knife is a bit crude if compared with a Busfield or Hoel, but so are many makers.
I suggest this is a custom USA made knife by a maker who did not become famous but made good knives. This was not his first attempt.
You could send the pictures to one of the well established purveyors of custom knives and ask if they know of maker. You could search for Busfield or Hoel and see which custom knife dealers have their work. They might know some of the other interframe makers.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”