Ouestions about a Randall knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
knifeseller

Ouestions about a Randall knife

Post by knifeseller »

I have another Randall knife that belonged to my late brother-in-law. This knife was not stored in it's sheath but it does have a discoloration on the blade. I know my brother -in-law never used his Randall knives so I am at a loss as to what this is. I am not interested in trying to clean the blade because I am fearful I may damage it. Can anyone tell me what this is and how it affects the value of the knife. I would like to sale it on Ebay to get some money for my sister. It looks like it is a Model 84 but I need a little more information about it. Can anyone help me with this? Many thanks in advance.
Randall #1.jpg
Randall #2.jpg
Randall #3.jpg
Randall #4.jpg
Randall #6.jpg
Randall #7.jpg
Randall #8.jpg
Randall #9.jpg
Randall#5.jpg
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Ouestions about a Randall knife

Post by terryl308 »

It is a model 8 with a 4 inch blade. Should be worth about 200-300 with the discount for the discolored blade. I believe they have gone done in price a little. If it was prefect, it should bring about $400. good luck ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Thanks so much for the information! I have a good idea as to how to price this.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

As Terry said, #8 Trout & Bird with a 4" blade. I don't think it would hurt it a bit in the world to take a little "Mother's Mag & Aluminum Polish" (found in Wal-Mart or any automotive store) to it. For certain it will not make it worse.

This is mine. Bought in the late '70s. I need to take new pictures.
Attachments
Randall Mod 8 - Trout & Bird - Stag.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by kennedy knives »

A Randall Model 8-4 standard Stag handle is $380.00 from Randall if you wait 48 months . Any options is extra The Micarta is not standard that's $45.00 extra if it has a thumb notch on top of the blade is extra $ 45.00 . The sheath is what they call a rough back sheath with a baby canteen snap . I believe that should put your knife made between 1983 to 1991 . You can clean it with Simi chrome polish , Fritz or the new stuff that Case puts out. I don't think I would take any less than $ 400.00 for it after you clean it . Hope this helps . ::ds:: ::tu:: ::tu::
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Thanks -you for the good information. I just might try some polish on it. My brother -in-law had a large number of Case knives that could use a little polish so I'll give it a shot. If I can get more money that would be a good thing for my sister.
knifeseller

Post by knifeseller »

Hello Jerry D,
Thanks for your input. I will visit my local automotive store and see if I can track down the polish you recommended. BTW that is a beautiful Randall!!
That is a real classic.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Thanks for the compliment and welcome to AAPK. Glad to have you aboard. Please post any comments on the results you achieve with Mothers. Let us know if you are satisfied.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Gumshoe

Post by Gumshoe »

RMK will refurbish it for a fee. Send it back to them and they will tell you how much they will charge before doing the work. If you agree, they will make it look like new again. I sent my Alaskan Skinner back and they charged me $50.00 to refinish it. You can check their Website for details.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”