Nippon tang stamp

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
vintagejunk

Nippon tang stamp

Post by vintagejunk »

I have a small gentlemen's two blade pocket knife bearing the stamp S Nippon. There might be a letter or symbol before the S, I can't really tell, but the Nippon is pretty clear. Main blade is broken off just above the stamp, but otherwise the knife is in pretty good condition. Appears to have bone scales and silver bolsters, color of metal is slightly different from my other knives with nickel silver. I understand that stamp was used between 1890 and 1920, after which Japan was used. I saw the post about the big Messervy, which appears to be a knife from the 60's stamped Nippon. I believe the design and materials in this knife fit the possibility that it is from this earlier era, but I have been unable to locate a single knife online to compare my stamp with. I'm hoping someone here has additional insight about this knife, or guidance as to where I can get more info. I am unable to get a good picture of the stamp, but I am including a picture of the knife. It is 2.75" long by 5/16 wide. I'd like to know if the style fits the era, or anyone knows where I can see other Japanese stamps from that era, or any other information you think will help me in confirming or denying the identity of this knife. If there are none on the internet, I assume it's fairly rare. Thanks in advance for any help you provide. I've enjoyed your guidance as a long time non-member reader.
WP_20130719_001.jpg
WP_20130719_001.jpg
mrwatch

Re: Nippon tang stamp

Post by mrwatch »

Nippon is a city or area in Japan prolific with production. From fine china to trinket ware to about anything else. With the U.S. importing laws everything has too be marked where it was made.
vintagejunk

Post by vintagejunk »

Finally got a picture of the tang stamp. Would love to hear if anyone has seen a similar stamp.
WP_20180312_001.jpg
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

The word,"Nippon" is the Japanese name for Japan. The knife posted looks to be pretty old but exactly how old is debateable. I have a couple of older Japanese knives but they are stamped Japan. If it were stamped "Occupied Japan" it would be easy to date:post WWII up until the mid 1950's.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”