Early cock spur knife maker

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
58chevy348

Early cock spur knife maker

Post by 58chevy348 »

Could anyone possibly identify the maker of this early spur saw knife? Unfortunately it appears there was either no tang stamp or it is worn completely away. Will probably have it restored. Thank you!
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: Early cock spur knife maker

Post by Paladin »

58Chevy,
Well, you are having a hard time getting a response to your question. I thought sure someone would come along who really had an answer. I am not the one with an answer but I can tell you I have seen quite a few of these over the years and many did not have a tang stamp.
I have heard it opined that since cock fighting was illegal in many, or maybe most, states that the maker just wished to remain anonymous. I was never quite convinced of that but I had nothing better to offer.
Wish I had more for you. ::shrug::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

One thing that stands out is the steel pins which are typical of German made knives so your knife may well have been made in Germany. I also think the saw blade has been replaced with a piece of modern coping saw blade, it is way too wide for a spur saw and also looks like a metal saw blade (hacksaw) with the ripples evident. I don't subscribe to the theory that they may be unmarked because of cock fighting being illegal since when most of these were made there were no laws against cock fighting.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I've also heard they have a legitimate use for veterinarians, breaders and farmers. Even if they were used illegally, having a saw on a knife was not illegal.
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

I'm just curious--if this were your knife, how would you approach restoration? I'm thinking green bone handles, but without a tang stamp, I'm kind of lost about how to handle the secondary blade. I would likely rather just find a good secondary blade without a tang stamp (I wouldn't want the knife to mislead anyone in the future) unless I can nail down who might have made the knife.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Queen recently made a special order,not long before closing of cock spur knives for someone.Seen a few on Ebay recently.
Roger
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Guys,
Let me ask this,,, why would a saw like this be better than cutting the spur with a clipper like might be used on dog toe nails? What about a pair of dykes or such? Clearly, I have no experience is such matters but I have wondered what the pluses and minuses might be. ::shrug:: ::facepalm::

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Good question Ray! I think I’ve about decided to just go with classic style green bone handles and a non-stamped secondary blade. Unless I can mail down the manufacturer, I wouldn’t want the knife to mislead someone in the future.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”