Herder Abr Sohn Camillus Pocket Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
HILL_BILLY

Herder Abr Sohn Camillus Pocket Knife

Post by HILL_BILLY »

HOWDY Im new at this so bear with me. I picked up 2 knives. I can not find much info on them. Frieder Herder Abr Sohn Pocket Knife, Germany and Camillus New York spike. Herder has a spade on blade with the above info. Its almost mint and
WALKS AND TALKS with wood scales 3.5"closed 6.5 opened. Everyone knows its harder to make a folder than a fixed. Everything lines up and is real smooth. Its made better than some of the high end U S knives I have. Camillus New York Pocket Knife is 5" L MARLIN SPIKE NAUTICAL RIGGER'S KNIFE.. The ones I found have a different style logo on the blade with jig scales. Mine has smooth scales which has something to do with when they were made????????????? any info will help

Thank you in advance
D C
Wonder if Trump will bring any of the knife makers back to the U S
kootenay joe

Re: Herder Abr Sohn Camillus Pocket Knife

Post by kootenay joe »

Hello H-B. Big Welcome to the best knife forum, AAPK.
There are a few "Herder" brands but the one you have with the spade logo is the best & most valuable.
To make any reliable comment we have to see pictures. And it is "have to" not prefer to. There are millions of variations of knives as well as fakes and re-worked knives, all of which can be assessed with good pics taken from directly overhead, no flash, all blades open, both sides, all blades closed, both sides as well as closeup, enlarged of the markings. (usually on tang).
I am looking forward to seeing your knives.
kj
wlf

Post by wlf »

Welcome from another hillbilly. Herder made some terrific old knives.
I buy roosters combs and farmers..........................................................jack knives [/b]

GEC SFOs and others at LICK CREEK CUTLERY- www.allaboutpocketknives.com/wlf

May the Father and Son bless
Lyle
HILL_BILLY

Post by HILL_BILLY »

Howdy Here are some pix of the Herder abr Sohn I posted.
Thank you HB
Attachments
1fhs16138421113720rr.JPG
2fhs81355781113720rr.JPG
4fhs34385321113720rr.JPG
fhs72282031113719rr.JPG
alabama

Post by alabama »

herder is a sodbuster-(work knife) 1623 to mid 1990s possibly still in business...
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Excellent knife ! This pattern of a single blade in a wood handle with this blade profile originated in Europe as the basic work knife for farmers, etc.
It was first made in USA by Case around 1969 and they called it a "Sod Buster". Now all knives of this pattern are spoken of as a "Sod Buster" here in North America.
Until recently most German knife manufacturers made a "Sod Buster" knife. Friedr. Herder & Carl Schlieper (Eye Brand) are the 2 most highly sought after ones. Ebay auctions show the Friedr. Herder get the higher prices. They are very well made. The handles tend to be of larger girth than other maker's S.B.'s and they are nicely rounded at the edges and feel 'just right' in hand.
Herder has been making these i'm sure for well over 100 years (maybe over 200 ?) so they are difficult to date. Yours does not look recently made.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”