Camillus pattern number?

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Landersknives

Camillus pattern number?

Post by Landersknives »

I posted this in new pick ups but I thought I would ask here. I love this knife. I recently picked up this Sword brand Camillus whittler pattern with a gentleman’s grooming file and fingernail cleaner blade and I was wondering on the pattern number. I this knife for great price. It was on eBay and I picked it up for $17.50 with shipping. All the blades are full in fact I think if it was used it was not much. On the pen blade it says Camillus Cut Co, Camillus NY USA. Thanks to all the fellas who commented on my knife in the other post and I am looking forward to more comments and information on this post. I am very happy to own this neat olé knife. Any questions just ask. If more pictures are needed let me know. Thanks everyone.
Attachments
82D372E6-7620-4BF5-B37E-6FBB80F1C6EA.jpeg
F5776FF6-C487-4CB4-831E-FCBAAA2CC4C1.jpeg
AD8372CA-BB03-4A92-80A0-30ECD59E9F62.jpeg
7670C153-2DF0-461A-A8FD-183D2B0C39D1.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Re: Camillus pattern number?

Post by kootenay joe »

ED, that is a very nice knife but one i have never seen before. I would like to see an enlarged close up of the Camillus marking. That might give us an idea of age.
kj
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

kootenay joe wrote:ED, that is a very nice knife but one i have never seen before. I would like to see an enlarged close up of the Camillus marking. That might give us an idea of age.
kj
Hey KJ I tried several pictures of the pen blade and I am going to put up the best one. On the tang stamp chart it says the Sword stamp for Camillus was used from 1941-46. The knife measures 3 3/8 inches. Thank you for trying to help me figure this out. ::tu::
Attachments
2B5018DA-2836-4D52-B462-91AF79D0B09B.jpeg
D48EA727-07CA-48F8-8DAE-555D8AC0C04F.jpeg
859F0FD4-32C9-4587-9952-F38DFDC51B5C.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ed here is a thread that shows Sword Brand knives in a 1928 catalog. I don't see your exact knife but there is an equal end whittler shown so that at least tells us the sword brand mark was used before 1941.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30943&hilit=Camill ... Brand+1928
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

gsmith7158 wrote:Ed here is a thread that shows Sword Brand knives in a 1938 catalog. I don't see your exact knife but there is an equal end whittler shown so that at least tells us the sword brand mark was used before 1941.
viewtopic.php?f=63&t=30943&hilit=Camill ... Brand+1928
Thanks Greg! That is great. I appreciate the help. The 243 knife on the I think 2nd ad has the same blade configuration but it is shorter than my knife and it has a different shield. That is so cool that the sword stamps were made that early. I’m excited. I wish I could get better pictures and I will try later today.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Hey Ed . Here is one that I had a while back. It didn't have the sword brand Stamp but it was an old one.This was the equal end and yours is the sleeve board version . I gave this one to Carmillus because he had two of the sleeve boards and no equal end. You must forgive the photo, I had to crop it from a group shot.
Attachments
100_2105.JPG
100_2106.JPG
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Somewhere on AAPK I have posted an interview I had with Tom Williams on February 26, 2010, I just can’t find it at the moment.
The following quotes are from that interview:

“The Camillus brand name was first used in 1902.
The name "Sword Brand" was first used in 1906.
Sword Brand was the best quality. They were the top line produced by Camillus.”

This information below may help you a little bit to date the knife.
I couldn’t tell for sure, is that a three line tang stamp on the small blade?

“Prior to World War II most stamps were four-line stamps: CAMILLUS/CUTLERY CO./CAMILLUS N.Y./U.S.A.”

“After World War II the word "CUTLERY" was dropped from the tang stamps and never used again with the exception of the Marine Raider Stiletto reproduction and the A425 (USCG knife) reproductions of the 1990s. In both reproductions the original tang stamps had been saved and were used on the reproduction knives.”
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

orvet wrote:Somewhere on AAPK I have posted an interview I had with Tom Williams on February 26, 2010, I just can’t find it at the moment.
The following quotes are from that interview:

“The Camillus brand name was first used in 1902.
The name "Sword Brand" was first used in 1906.
Sword Brand was the best quality. They were the top line produced by Camillus.”

This information below may help you a little bit to date the knife.
I couldn’t tell for sure, is that a three line tang stamp on the small blade?

“Prior to World War II most stamps were four-line stamps: CAMILLUS/CUTLERY CO./CAMILLUS N.Y./U.S.A.”

“After World War II the word "CUTLERY" was dropped from the tang stamps and never used again with the exception of the Marine Raider Stiletto reproduction and the A425 (USCG knife) reproductions of the 1990s. In both reproductions the original tang stamps had been saved and were used on the reproduction knives.”
Greg awesome knives! Thank you for sharing. Dale what great information my friend. I don’t see USA under the Camillus NY on the stamp but the stamp is pretty small. It reads as best I can tell:
Camillus
Cutlery Co.
Camillus NY
I really appreciate the help. I love the knife. It is quickly becoming a favorite. Great walk and talk. It just makes me smile :D . I really like the sword brand knives I have several. I need to get them all together and take some pictures.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Camillus used a 3 line stamping early on before switching to the 4 line stamp and then changed back to 3 line after WW II.
kj
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

gsmith7158 wrote:Hey Ed . Here is one that I had a while back. It didn't have the sword brand Stamp but it was an old one.This was the equal end and yours is the sleeve board version . I gave this one to Carmillus because he had two of the sleeve boards and no equal end. You must forgive the photo, I had to crop it from a group shot.
.....greg, that one is another of my favorites that I will never part with!!, love that old knife!!!..... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Tommy that knife went to the most deserving home I know of ::tu:: ::handshake::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”