Old Holley Pocket Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
JamesShields

Old Holley Pocket Knife

Post by JamesShields »

I have came across an old pocket knife. The blade says Holley mfg co lakeville. Very small knife, probably 3” in length. It’s not in the greatest condition. Just curious if anyone knows anything about it.
Attachments
image.jpg
LongBlade

Re: Old Holley Pocket Knife

Post by LongBlade »

Welcome JamesShields to the forum ::welcome:: ... The knife is a classic pen knife in a shadow pattern (meaning no bolsters or more simply metal capped ends in case you are not familiar with knife lingo) and appears to have a smooth bone handle. Holley Mfg Co existed from 1844 to 1930 in Lakeville CT and would be considered a desirable maker of old knives. Hope this helps...

Re: Old Holley pocket knife

Post by kootenay joe »

James, welcome to AAPK
I am not an expert in any area of knives & certainly not Holley. Bernard Levine has said that the majority of "Holley" branded knives you will see are fakes. Yours i am sure is an all original Holley. The handles might be ivory which Holley did use on some of their pen knives.
I'm sure someone who knows Holley knives will be along to give more specific info.
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You have started a second thread on this knife in the Q&A forum.
Perhaps a moderator will consolidate them ?
kj
JamesShields

Post by JamesShields »

Thank you, yes it does help. My grandfather gave it to me a few days ago. He said he didn’t know anything about it and wasn’t ever going to do anything with it. I was mainly wanting to know more about it because I was planning on getting it worked on if it was the right call. I didn’t know if it was worth anything or rather worth anything in this condition or just be better to get it refurbished and maybe gift it back to him.
JamesShields

Post by JamesShields »

Thanks KJ, I'd love to find someone who knows more about it. I'm wanting to get it refurbished if possible. But if it's worth more or anything at all in the current condition I would leave it be.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

In terms of condition - the knife looks to be in rough condition - frame chipped and cracked, chip on the small blade cutting edge as well. Do the blades snap open and closed? Do the blades wobble when fully open? It is to each their own in refinishing or refurbishing old knives such as this. Personally I do not but others may feel differently pending whether you are trying to preserve a piece of history or just want a knife to use. As you or your grandfather owns it it is entirely up to you. I am not a knife mechanic who can chime in if you want it repaired but you need to note all the issues. There is a repair subforum below among the subforums if you go that route. (BTW - I would not rate it as a high value knife just looking at photos and condition)...

Post by JamesShields »

Yes sir it is not in the greatest shape. The blades do snap back when closed and do not wobble when opened. I didn’t figure it was just real valuable but wanted to make sure before I had any work done to it. I appreciate your input and advice sir.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

You could sharpen the blades and put a drop of oil in both blade pivots and use it as it is, assuming that the handle piece is not loose.
If you get it re-handled it then becomes less of your grandfather's knife. A strong 'principle' in knife collecting is "It is your knife, you get to do with it as you want." There is no one 'right thing' to do.
kj
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

My pleasure JamesShield ::tu:: ::tu:: ... As KJ said it is your knife so whatever you do there is no right or wrong!! If you decide on the handle and you think your grand-dad would appreciate that effort than there are some great repair guys here if that is the route you go... I have my Dad's Navy knife that has shrunken handles and blades don't close exactly right - someday when the time is right I will have it fixed up as I know he would have liked it that way... Best to you!!

Post by JamesShields »

Thanks guys I appreciate the advice. I am undecided so far as to what I am going to do. But if I decide to get some work done to it I will post after pictures for sure.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”