Help with Greatgrandfather’s Pocket Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Aoden0472

Help with Greatgrandfather’s Pocket Knife

Post by Aoden0472 »

I was recently given a pocket knife from grandfather. It was his father’s. The knife is in rough shape. I want to learn more about it. The only markings I can find is a shield and 1924 stamped on the blade. Any information would be great. Also, any advice on restoring this knife would be great. I would love carrying it. I really don’t care about the value as I will one day pass this down to my son. Thank Tou in advance.
Attachments
B83D8AC1-5676-46E2-985C-DFC2BECD52E5.jpeg
AD6EAD1E-144E-47E0-9142-D4D20BA1E34C.jpeg
0950298C-5411-4AA9-A31F-4CF18D937D6B.jpeg
DE779428-3AC0-49A4-9519-DC81E854CC30.jpeg
34534701-0DE7-45B6-9B32-C726E0685312.jpeg
28944AC6-BD0A-4F62-A028-127533ED9A49.jpeg
29CD4898-CDBC-4656-9C7B-3C22FD6F952A.jpeg
A23A3C67-BCE9-482D-A24F-4D17B49036D3.jpeg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help with Greatgrandfather’s Pocket Knife

Post by peanut740 »

Has the look of a Winchester,ca 1919-40.I will have to check the pattern# this evening.The pattern is commonly called a toothpick.
Roger
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I think that you are right, Roger. Price and Zalesky list a Winchester, pattern 1924 as a 4 1/4", bone handle, small toothpick
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
Aoden0472

Post by Aoden0472 »

Thanks for the help so far. So did a knife manufacturer make them for Winchester? Also, any way to possibly date the knife? Finally, you guys have any suggestions on getting this in working condition?
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

If it were mine, I'd just take a match stick or something that will fit in the well of the handle and get all the dirt and etc. out of it, oil it up good wipe if off and enjoy it. It doesn't look in that bad of condition for being that old. Maybe put some mineral oil on the bone handle and wipe it down. I wouldn't use any power equipment on it at all. Nice old Winchester! ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Aoden0472

Post by Aoden0472 »

terryl308 wrote:If it were mine, I'd just take a match stick or something that will fit in the well of the handle and get all the dirt and etc. out of it, oil it up good wipe if off and enjoy it. It doesn't look in that bad of condition for being that old. Maybe put some mineral oil on the bone handle and wipe it down. I wouldn't use any power equipment on it at all. Nice old Winchester! ::handshake:: Terry
Thanks for the info. There is some rust in the well. I was wondering if there something to help break that up. Also there is some green corrosion in the bone handle. I am assuming this is from something else since the knife was stored in an old tool box. But, the corrosion is the little tiny grooves. Thank You again for your input.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Winchester made their own knives from 1919-40.I done know if there is any definite way to narrow it down.I would guess pre 1935.There quality declined in the later production.
Roger
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Here are a couple catalog cuts.

1934-winchester-1924.jpeg
1934-winchester-1924.jpeg (54.32 KiB) Viewed 1986 times
1940-Winchester-1924.jpg
"So did a knife manufacturer make them for Winchester?"

Winchester manufactured knives. Winchester bought Eagle Knife Co (to get their automatic grinding machines) and Napanoch Knife Co, and Winchester merged with Simmons (who had previously bought Walden Knife Co.). They moved the knife manufacturing to New Haven.

"Also, any way to possibly date the knife?"

The catalog cuts give a couple dates. One of the books on Winchester knives may give a more precise answer.

"Finally, you guys have any suggestions on getting this in working condition?"

Probably doesn't need more than a couple of passes on a Spyderco sharpmaker to bring the edge to shaving sharp. Might benefit from a tiny drop of oil in the pivot.

"Thanks for the info. There is some rust in the well. I was wondering if there something to help break that up. Also there is some green corrosion in the bone handle. I am assuming this is from something else since the knife was stored in an old tool box. But, the corrosion is the little tiny grooves. Thank You again for your input."

I'd just wipe down the steel parts with a rag damp with mineral oil. A match stick can help reach inside the well. The green is verdigris that formed from the brass liners. it is best removed dry otherwise the color may spread. I wouldn't use mineral oil or solvents on the bone handles for that reason. If the verdigris is loose, then it can just be wiped away with a paper towel. You're not going to be able to remove the verdigris on the liners that is hidden underneath the bone. If the color has stained the bone, it's not easily removed.

Nice family heirloom.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Aoden0472 wrote:I was recently given a pocket knife from grandfather. It was his father’s. The knife is in rough shape. I want to learn more about it. The only markings I can find is a shield and 1924 stamped on the blade. Any information would be great. Also, any advice on restoring this knife would be great. I would love carrying it. I really don’t care about the value as I will one day pass this down to my son. Thank Tou in advance.

Welcome to AAPK Aoden. ::handshake:: ::tu::

You're very fortunate to have this wonderful piece of family history in your possession Aoden. And I see you have great plans for it in the future being that you stated one day you will pass it to your Son.
The below is my opinion only, so just think about it ok?

Clean it up a little bit, those bolsters look to be in very good shape. I see no cracks in the handle material, if there are small cracks, it's no big deal, it's close to 100 years old.
Try to obtain a picture of your Grand and Great Grand Dad. Purchase a nice shadow box, such as the two of mine I have pictured below. Put the family pictures within the box along with the knife. You and your family can enjoy it every time you walk by it.
If you carry it you can easily lose it. If you use it, it will easily break. Your Winchester was not made for a "Everyday Carry" situation. That long blade will snap right off.
Many collectors call your knife a "Fish Knife / Tickler / Texas Toothpick / Powder Horn etc". Ideally suited for sticking, skinning and cleaning game fish.
You would not even have to sharpen the blade. Every little nick and scratch on it was the result of your family ancestors actions of their hard working hands providing bread and butter for the table. Why erase that?
As you have seen, there are some mighty fine people here in the knife world.
Stick around and start collecting and learning, you'll find a lot of assistance here. ::nod::

IMG_0004.JPG
IMG_0001 (2).JPG
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Old Folder speaks with wisdom! Good man to listen to and learn from. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

A catalog listing from 1930. Interesting to see the prices change: $16.50/dozen in 1930; $12.00/dozen in 1934; $13.2/dozen in 1940. I like the advice you got from OldFolder.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG1154.JPG
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

Old Hunter wrote:Old Folder speaks with wisdom! Good man to listen to and learn from. OH
Thank you for your very kind words Old Hunter. ::nod::
Dan
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Old Folder »

danno50 wrote:A catalog listing from 1930. Interesting to see the prices change: $16.50/dozen in 1930; $12.00/dozen in 1934; $13.2/dozen in 1940. I like the advice you got from OldFolder.
Dan
Thank you danno.
I am also wondering why such large price fluctuations. ::shrug::
Today's prices would be kind of scarry.
Dan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”