Kabar Jumbo Whittler

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Gunsil

Re: Kabar Jumbo Whittler

Post by Gunsil »

Roland, I e-mailed you five pages, I hope the copies weren't too large. I sent you a copy of the order form front and back, the front of the news bulletin, and the two page ad for the ETN91 knives, ENJOY!! Nothing like having definitive irrefutable info!!
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Even though it's not real ivory, it's still a great looking knife.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just got home from the P.O. and opened up the package with this knife. Wow ! Real elephant ivory, with nice grain too even better with a 9x loupe. What a score for $80 !
Then i opened my computer and received emails from Gunsil showing the 1991 Kabar advertising flyer. And it says "Handles of "Alternate Ivory", so close to the real thing they will amaze you"
Well, i am amazed.
I will take pics in am although even genuine ivory can look rather 'flat' in pictures.
The 'faux ivory' layer is rather thin and is backed by a thicker piece of what looks to be black wood. Can you see any evidence of this black 'liner' piece in any of the printed pictures ? It just seems odd that if a faux ivory material is made for knife handles why would also use underlying wood slabs ?
Or, is the total 'faux effect' intended to be a piano key with original ivory covering ?
It sure fooled me.
Joe thank you for posting your fine Toenails, all Kabar i'm assuming ? or actually Queen ?
Gene, thanks so much for figuring this out.
kj
alabama

Post by alabama »

old post-I have one of these in box-dated same-91 ck=collectors club plus year---knifeworld mag. showed current value of these last year-of course I cant find mine now that I have the knife--kabar collectors club=1979 to 06-per price/zalesky book..handle feels like cow bone --why would they laminate bone on plastic-may or may not be thin layer of prehistoric ivory..

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”