Remington R3433

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
espn77

Remington R3433

Post by espn77 »

I have two of the same pattern knives. One in rogers bone the other in rough black. Both have the same tang stamp. 1924-1933. The thickness of the long pull is different, the sledge is different, the black knife is about 1/16 shorter on both the frame length and backspring length.
Here is my question. I think the black knife is a contract knife and the bone knife is a Remington made knife. I know it's popular opinion that if it was a contract knife it should have a "straight line" stamp. Interested to hear your opinions.
Thanks Keith
Attachments
20171119_150137.jpg
20171119_150032.jpg
20171119_150051.jpg
20171119_150013.jpg
20171119_145950.jpg
20171119_155342.jpg
20171119_155402.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Remington R3433

Post by btrwtr »

Keith, far from expert on these knives and little to compare to. Given the differences in the knives I wouldn't doubt the synthetic handle knife could be contract made. Nice looking knives!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I appreciate your response Wayne. I find the two to be interesting.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Ain't many absolutes in this knife business, but those are some absolutey fine looking knives. ::nod::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Absolutely ::tu::
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

Nice knives ::tu:: Remington made 3432 (smooth black) and 3435 (pyremite) presumably with the same dies and parts as the 3433. I haven't seen one like your knife with the jigged black covers. A contract knife seems like a good hypothesis. I also wonder about the possibility that it was put together by PAL from leftover parts. Just exploring possibilities. Interesting knife!
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

You are also talking about a nine year span of possible production dates.
Do you know of any location move or financial difficulties for Remington during that time?
Perhaps new machining or a new COO/Plant Manager?

I would look in house before outside for reasons but they do look to be completely different builds with "similar" parts.
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

americanedgetech wrote:You are also talking about a nine year span of possible production dates.
Do you know of any location move or financial difficulties for Remington during that time?
Perhaps new machining or a new COO/Plant Manager?

I would look in house before outside for reasons but they do look to be completely different builds with "similar" parts.
It was just an idea being thrown out. I don't have evidence and wouldn't bet on it. The knife is very nice and the presently unknown history makes it a fun conversation piece.

All sorts of stuff gets left behind. Dealers are still liquidating parts from Schrade. You can buy parts by bag or bucket. And Queen has put together some parts knives. I bought a very strange parts knife direct from Courtney Daniels that seemed to be made out of parts from different models and different years. Waste not want not.

From Goins' Encyclopedia...

"in 1940 Pal purchased the cutlery division of Remington Arms Company............ They used stock parts Remington had left over, regardless of marking. Some Pal knives will have Remington marked blades in them--both the circle and straight line markings"
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks for your reply Jake, I never thought of it being a Pall knife. The handle material would sure lean that way. Ive talked to a few guys about Remington knives and most conversations go something like this, "an old employee told me" with such little records, there is a lot of "here say" in the Remington world. I appreciate your input.
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

espn77 wrote:Thanks for your reply Jake, I never thought of it being a Pall knife. The handle material would sure lean that way. Ive talked to a few guys about Remington knives and most conversations go something like this, "an old employee told me" with such little records, there is a lot of "here say" in the Remington world. I appreciate your input.
Thanks for sharing those well preserved old beauties with us ::tu::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”