PAL Pocket Knife U.S Army

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
LesPaulGuitars

PAL Pocket Knife U.S Army

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Hi. My name is Rich and I'm from Saratoga MY. I'm new here and I hope that I can get some information about a pocket knife that I own. The knife in question is U.S Army issued pocket knife made my PAL. It was my great grandfather's who if alive today would be 125 yrs old. I've attached some pictures. Any info would be great! Sorry about the last picture. I can take a better picture of the screwdriver blade when I get home tonight. Is this knofe the equivalent of a TL-29? Thanks Rich
Attachments
20171118_211548.jpg
20171118_211526.jpg
20171111_231343.jpg
20171118_211512.jpg
20171111_231516.jpg
espn77

Re: PAL Pocket Knife U.S Army

Post by espn77 »

Welcome, from Saratoga in wy, or ny?
LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

There is more than one? Lol! I'm in NY.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Yes, I graduated high school from Saratoga Wyoming. Got excited there for a bit. Nice knife by the way
LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Yeah I like the knife myself. It still has lots of snap with both blades . The unfortunate thing is that the knife blade was damaged. I would love to find an a original blade to replace it with.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Welcome to the forum from an ex-New Yorker. Florida sent my draft notice, and I had to go.

If you are thinking of replacing that blade (might be difficult to locate) there are a lot of mechanics here that could re-profile the original so that you could at least carry/use the knife until you do find a blade..
You may find in time that you like it the way it is! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

LesPaulGuitars wrote:Yeah I like the knife myself. It still has lots of snap with both blades . The unfortunate thing is that the knife blade was damaged. I would love to find an a original blade to replace it with.
I can sharpen the blade to where it is useable if you would like, and if you want to pay shipping both ways. I would have to remove quite a bit of steel to get rid of the dished out area, full disclosure, but it would be sharp enough to split hair in half.

Do you like les paul guitars? I don't play, but my dad does and has several vintage les pauls.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Welcome to AAPK. According to Michael W. Silvey's book, The Complete Book of U.S. Military Pocket Knives "Few of the TL-29's were bone-handled and the only ones which have been marked appear to have been made by Pal Blade Company. The knife shown below has a main blade whose pile side was stamped as above (PAL BLADE CO./MADE/IN U.S.A.) on the right. The obverse side is marked as above (U.S. ARMY) on the left. The knife is 3 1/2 inches long closed and all fittings are steel but those with brass liners have been observed."
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Thank you for the info guys! Is it safe to say that this knife is Pre WW2? I ask this because it has brass pins and liners, and since Army was using the brass for shell casings Is it safe to assume this?
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

It looks like steel liners and pins. ::shrug::

orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

::welcome:: to AAPK!

Pal and Camillus both made bone handled TL-29s that were military issue. I think I have 2 made by Pal and 3 or 4 made by Camillus.

It is cool that it has family history! I would keep it as-is and carry out from to time. Unless they are broken I am not a fan of doing modifications on an heirloom knife.

TJ, the 2nd pic showing the backsprings and shows the brass center liner.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Thank you Dale! I think I will keep it as is. Maybe I will just clean up a bit and get all.of the grime out of it. Orvet you are correct that it indeed does have brass. So does that mean it's pre WW2?
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Pal bought Remington out in 1940.
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Some would say just wipe it down with mineral oil.

Some would polish it with Semi-Chrome and a tee shirt.

Whichever you choose, do not use any kind of abrasives and do not even get it in the same room with a buffer or Dremel Tool.

A bone handled Army issue TL-29 doesn't come along every week and that one belonged to your great grandfather, or was it two greats?

Don't worry about that nick along the blade edge. Just create a couple of fanciful tales about how Pop did that. Lie. No one will know.

But us.... ::tu::

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

The generally accepted date for the United States entry into World War II is December 7th 1941, the date of the bombing of Pearl Harbor.
I suspect that it was about that time that brass was rationed, it was probably limited to the stock they had on hand in the cutleries or perhaps even the pre-cut pieces for liners.
If there were any brass used in TL - 29s I am pretty sure it was prior to the bombing of Pearl Harbor. There may have been some TL-29s that were in the production or distribution pipeline that were completed after the bombing of Pearl Harbor, but I suspect there were not many. Judging from the availability of bone handled TL-29s there probably were not many of them made at all, let alone after the beginning of the war.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

orvet wrote:::welcome:: to AAPK!

Pal and Camillus both made bone handled TL-29s that were military issue. I think I have 2 made by Pal and 3 or 4 made by Camillus.

It is cool that it has family history! I would keep it as-is and carry out from to time. Unless they are broken I am not a fan of doing modifications on an heirloom knife.

TJ, the 2nd pic showing the backsprings and shows the brass center liner.
I'm still going with steel. The center liner looks to have a coating of dried oil or a layer of rust. You can see that same stain/rust on the edge of the bolster in the same picture. If the center liner is brass then so should the frame, unless Pal is somehow different from the CAMILLUS.

LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Wow! That is so cool! Something to be said about owning a rare pocket knife especially when it was my Great Grandfathers.
LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Thank you all for all of the very useful information. I've always enjoyed collecting pocket knives. The other day I was at my parents house, and my father who served 28 yrs in the Army including a tour in Vietnam, left out his Camillus TL-29 on the table. I hadn't seen that knife is probably close to 20. Brought back a lot of memories. Sounds silly to most that a knife can invoke such emotion, but my dad was in the Army and it was his Army knife. It does something to you as a kid and carries through adulthood. So when I got home I dug out my great grandfather's PAL knife and it sparked the interest again. Someday I will have my dad's knife along side my great grandfather's knife. But hopefully not to soon Lol! So I was on EBay and found the exact same knife as my dad's. A NOS Camilius in the original wrapper. Can't wait to get it. Here is a pic of it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20171119-212814.png
americanedgetech

I also bought a Camillus from that seller listed as like new, in original bag.
It was something about his Grandfathers hardware store, and the knives being stored in that basement for 30+ years.

I believe the boxes must have deteriorated but the knife I bought is as new. In fact it is one of the best condition knives I have because it was only opened to take the pictures, and folded back up.
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
Ken Mc.

LesPaulGuitars

Post by LesPaulGuitars »

Nice!!!!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Cool rope knife Ken. ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

To have something from your great grandfather is remarkable.
I'd do as little as possible to it to maintain it's condition as is!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

What Scott said , if that ole knife could just talk you'd probably be amazed at how much work it's done and ::welcome:: to the finest knife site in existence. ::tu::
americanedgetech

Thanks Dale. 8)

Scott', and BH are right on keeping that knife as close to what it is a possible. There are probably millions of collectors, and billions of knives stashed away but only a very small percentage of them that are authentic to the family that served with them, and passed them down the family line.

IMHO, that kind of makes a "Holy Grail" type knife because THAT one can never be replaced. ::super_happy::
Maybe get the blade repaired to make a workable edge, and keep Great Gramps with you every day. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Been reading this post from start to current and will give you my 2 cents worth, what a nice heirloom! I wouldn't do anything to it but oil it up and wipe it off with a soft rag. You are really lucky to have your great granddads and fathers knives, I would write up a note to place with the knives(history of them and family connection) and pass them on to more relatives or son. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”