Alox

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
dcgm4

Alox

Post by dcgm4 »

I'm getting a Victorinox Swiss Army knife for my father, but I'd like some information about alox. The main thing I'd like to know is how durable it is. Does it scratch or ding easily? Do the different colors (red, blue, etc.) show more wear sooner than the classic silver? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Alox

Post by jerryd6818 »

From what I've observed (not personal experience), since the silver is not anodized there isn't anything to wear off so it seems to stand the tests of time better than the colors. Below is an image I took from eBay that shows a lot of used Alox SAK's. Of course there's no way of knowing how much use and pocket time each has but it does give a general idea of the difference in durability between the silver and the other colors. Josh (junebug) was our SAK expert. It was a rotten shame to loose his expertise.
Attachments
6l1600.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
supratentorial

Post by supratentorial »

All of them are anodized. Silver is clear anodized. They all wear the same but the contrast is less obvious with the silver. It's pretty durable but if you throw it in a pocket with change or keys, then they will get dinged up.

They're great knives. One of my most frequent users is an old alox Soldier pattern from the 70s.
jmh58

Post by jmh58 »

Just remember that with the Alox there is no toothpick/tweezers.. John :D
Not all who wander are lost!!

Of all the paths you take in life,
Make sure some of them are Dirt!!!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Some of the colored Alox SAK's list new at $170 ! People collect them and want every color. My favorite is a 3 blade: spearpoint, awl $ saw. It's not easy to find this model.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

What means "Alox?" A material (aluminum oxide), a trademark, a pattern, a company? I don't know a thing about those wee knives.
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

Thanks for your 2 cents, guys. ::tu:: That picture was really helpful, Jerry. I'm now thinking maybe I'll try to find another brand that uses a tougher metal than alox. I know any metal will scratch and dent, but maybe I can find one that won't show the scratches that easily. I'll probably head down to the pawn shops today and see what they have.

Cal, alox is what the metal handle material used on Swiss Army knives is called.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

It takes quite a bit to scratch alox, don't over think it. Any of the colors will eventually wear in places, just gives a nice, worn look to it. Think patina on a blade, or "pocket-worn" bone. My silver ones aren't showing any wear from a number of years of carry, front pocket with change. The pioneer is my favourite of the alox patterns, easily found new for @ $30.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I am posting these knives to encourage Dave to go with an Alox SAK. The aluminum handles make the Alox knives look & feel different from the usual red plastic handled SAK. The Alox feel more substantial somehow and the look is 'classier'. The colored Alox are more money but really do look sharp.
Silver Alox = Pioneer Harvester
Orange Alox = Farmer
Blue Alox = Farmer (with "Danielle" on back handle
1956 Wengerinox Model 1951
kj
Attachments
IMGP3041.JPG
IMGP3042.JPG
IMGP3043.JPG
IMGP3044.JPG
IMGP3045.JPG
IMGP3046.JPG
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I forgot to post my favorite, a 3 blade Alox, "Lumberman" ??
I see this as a great compact EDC, with blades to: cut, Saw, & poke.
kj
Attachments
IMGP3047.JPG
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I agree Roland. I love the Alox SAKs. If I could afford 'em, I'd have a boat load of them. ::nod::
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I think they are very durable knive's, it's just the color that wears off, doesn't hurt the knife at all. The ALOX variations are the toughest of the SAK's. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I personally don't see the color wear as a problem. The handles of any knife eventually show wear if you carry it daily for a long time.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

kj, those are some fine knives. Maybe I will go with alox after all. ::hmm:: I came up empty at the pawn shops I visited. Could be a sign. :lol:
Dave

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”