Odd knife w/Fish sheath

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Ron1327

Odd knife w/Fish sheath

Post by Ron1327 »

I have here an oddity that I have come across that I want to give to my 8 year old grandson for a Christmas present as he is an amateur collector as well as myself and thought maybe someone could give me some background as I would like to put some information with it for him. My daughter received it from a friend with no background so anything would be of help. There is a 'L' stamp on each piece when pulled apart also.

Thanks in advance,
Ron
Attachments
Back
Back
Front
Front
Latch
Latch
Handle
Handle
Blade (India)
Blade (India)
Sheath w-L stamp
Sheath w-L stamp
Guard w-L stamp
Guard w-L stamp
knife7knut

Re: Odd knife w/Fish sheath

Post by knife7knut »

They are made in India and usually have a companion fork in the sheath as a carving set.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Ron: It is an interesting knife. A few stray thoughts while you are waiting for someone truly knowledgeable to show up. Since the blade is marked India, it is conceivable that the entire knife was produced there. Perhaps made for the tourist trade. However, Indian blades were also shipped to England for further work. The Knife Museum in Sheffield England (the major English knife center) has a couple of examples of knives which incorporated figures as part of the scabbard, e.g. an American Indian, or a British politician. Some go back to the 17th century.

Yours appears to me to be fairly recent. I'm inclined to think it was entirely made in India. But that is little more than a guess. I could not come up with anything concerning the Ls appearing on your knife.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

There is actually a "dot/L" on each piece.
It could be the fella that made them OR it could just be a way of keeping track of which pieces go together (more likely)

I've seen these somewhere before, and I'll try to find them...

The Fleabay seller of this image also sells a LOT of faux antiques at affordable pricing, The piece I post has a "buy now" of 14.99.

The second image uses the same hardware as yours.
I think it would make a fine collectible for your kiddo... as long as he gets the story behind them.
It's not junk if you look at it for what it is. Hand made in India, and most likely supporting an entire family. ::tu::

Youtube... "India Knife Maker" https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... nife+maker
Attachments
s-l1600 (5).jpg
s-l1600 (4).jpg
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Ron1327

Post by Ron1327 »

Thanks to all who have responded and am excited to hear other comments as well. This will make a nice collector piece for the grandson and I will create a word document from information you have been so kind to share. Thank you again.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Glad to hear it!
If you guys have a rainy day... This might be just the place for a budding collector, and his grandpa to pass the time. ::nod::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”