Information on a Schrade Walden knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
americanedgetech

Re: Information on a Schrade Walden knife

Post by americanedgetech »

Ed, I see that you do not drill out the Swinden system, and replace the pins (as many guys do).
Are you "tweaking" anything like hammering the liner flat or peening that keyed pin just a bit?
I'm asking because I have not taken one of these apart yet, and there are thousands of them around. Mechanically I would have to say that tweaking these just a bit would make for a solid/like new knife. Maybe better than new.

Nice choice on the scales by the way. I like that you stayed so similar to the original but still added some character. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks Treefarmer, Keith, and Ken. As far as tweeking the system Ken I have not had to yet. I clean the pivot pins and between the blade tangs really well and clean the key hole. I have a tool like.....well it is a dentist pick. I take that and clean out the key whole. Then I flush with Gun Slick gun scrubber I am sure that it is like the Casey’s gun scrubber. I have had great results with the Gun Slick version. No adverse effects on any handle material yet. I know everyone or almost everyone uses Quick Release oil. I discovered Coon P it is a full synthetic lubricant that is sold through SMKW. After a good clean and flush with Gun Slick I put a drop of Coon P and it actually helps clean the joints. It pushes grime and dirt away from the joints. So I work the blades, wipe, repeat until the oil is almost clear. Then I blow it dry and put a final drop of oil in the joints. I hope that helps Ken. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ed, did cleaning it as you have described get rid of the blade play ?
kj
americanedgetech

kootenay joe wrote:Ed, did cleaning it as you have described get rid of the blade play ?
kj
That's what I am wondering...
I can see debris collecting on some portion of the system between moving parts, and off-setting something. Old oil or just plain dirt acting like a teeter totter effect...

Perhaps there is a set amount of spring or give built into the shell's key-way, and just cleaning it allows that action to work?
Ken Mc.

Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

KJ and Ken yes the knife was tight as new when I put it back together. Great walk and talk. Zero wobble. So far every swinden knife I have taken apart ,after cleaning , when I reassembled them they where tight and nice. May I run into one that gives me problems....mmmm yeah probably but it has not happened yet. Knock on wood. Thanks guys. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
americanedgetech

Thank you Ed!

Mental note made. ::nod:: (I had to kick out the Ibex :lol: )
Ken Mc.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”