Information on a Schrade Walden knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
DelNich.57

Information on a Schrade Walden knife

Post by DelNich.57 »

Anyone that can give this newbie any information on this nice little Schrade Walden I would be grateful. I'm not even sure if the pattern. It's a three blade under three inches long with hugged black Delrin handles and has the number 808 on it.
Attachments
15105030110301327242335.jpg
1510503121326843165673.jpg
tongueriver

Re: Information on a Schrade Walden knife

Post by tongueriver »

The 808 is the pattern (small stockman). Your example, if it has Delrin handles, was made from 1960/61 through mid 1973.
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

What tongueriver said is correct. It looks like this knife has "rough black" peachseed handles, so it should predate delrin handles by a little and appears to have pinned bolsters as opposed to swinden. It's probably older than 1960 and no older than 1947, but I really can't say for certain. I have quite a few of these little stockmans, I like them a lot. Does it have milled liners on the back?
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

KnifeSlinger do you know when Schrade or Schrade-Walden began using the Swinden Key construction ?
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

kootenay joe wrote:KnifeSlinger do you know when Schrade or Schrade-Walden began using the Swinden Key construction ?
kj

Try this site.

https://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us ... 977678.pdf
I think 1960 because the could be making them a under patent pending.
Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kootenay joe wrote:KnifeSlinger do you know when Schrade or Schrade-Walden began using the Swinden Key construction ?
kj
About 1960.
From memory, do don't bet the farm, but I believe the patent was granted in April 1961. The patent required a working model so it seems a safe assumption that the machinery would be functional in 1960.

Of course no company would operate the machine for months of production without selling the product it made, so 1960 is the probable timeframe.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

::doh:: I just checked Grant's link and the patent was granted in April 1961.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Grant & Dale.
1960 is also when Schrade-Walden began using Delrin. This must have involved a lot of set up to be able to melt the Delrin and pour it into molds. I am assuming S-W made the Delrin handles rather than out-source them. With all of the patterns in both O.T. & U.H. lines, making all the handles was a big job.
Now add to this the switch to Swinden key construction which involved setting up new machinery and 1960 must have been the busiest most challenging year for Schrade-Walden.
kj
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

kootenay joe wrote:Now add to this the switch to Swinden key construction which involved setting up new machinery and 1960 must have been the busiest most challenging year for Schrade-Walden.
kj
I am sure it was very busy and very challenging, but I don't think all the changes were implemented simultaneously. Schrade often used what was referred to as “rolling changes.” The change was implemented gradually as old parts were used up. While most springs and blades from the non-Swinden models would interchange with the Swinden versions, the biggest difference in the parts would be the liners and bolsters. The Open Stock model numbers 832, 833 and 834 were all built on the same frame so the liners and bolsters for these three popular models as well is the later 834Y and the 34OT should all have been interchangeable.
I imagine the 3-5/16” frames for the 832, 833 & 834 were among the first models to be switched to Swinden construction because they such popular patterns.
Also popular were the 4” models 880, 881 and 881Y, which were also built on the same frame. Based on the popularity of those models, I think they were probably among some of the first models converted to the Swinden system. However I have no documentation to back this up. It is at best a logical guesstimation.

Schrade was the only company that ever used the Swinden system; they alone had the machinery that produced Swinden knives. It was unique to Schrade, designed by Dave Swinden and built in-house. They had already built or were building the Swinden production so it probably made more sense from a cost perspective to go ahead and construct the Delrin handle equipment so that it would be integrated into the new production method. It was probably far less expensive to design the entire system as a whole rather than designing the Swinden machinery to use old handle material and then upgrade it later to handle Delrin.
If you are sure enough of yourself to take make such a giant commitment to a design concept you might as well commit to a new handle concept as well, such as Delrin.

I think such a bold move speaks volumes about leadership and confidence of Albert Baer.
Not only is he investing in a new way of making knives and handles but he had just begun to introduce a line of knives which arguably became one of the most successful retail knife lines in history: the Old Timer line.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is the "giant commitment" part that is so impressive. These changes were so comprehensive that if not successful they could have led to bankruptcy.
I think Case, Queen and other large USA knife companies were not making major changes so had an advantage over S-W during this time period.
I prefer a regular pivot over a Swinden key because blade play cannot be squeezed out with Swinden construction.
kj
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Some great info here. I was never able to track down the exact implementation of Delrin by Schrade. Wikipedia says that DuPont built the factory in 1960. January? December? When did the first trainloads go out to the cutleries? This is still an unknown with me.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

In the Schrade forum at BF, Codger has posted the history of Delrin( ~ 2010 ?), beginning with Albert Baer approaching Dupont in mid 1950's and describing what he needed: able to melt and pour into molds, millable, stable, no shrinking, heat stable, good grip when wet, etc.
I think he says Dupont put about 5 million $ into developing Delrin. It became ready for trying out in 1960 with great success.
Codger's article contains many details and is a worthwhile read.
kj
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

KJ I was like you about the Swinden system and not being able to tighten blade play. I have figured out that if you cut the center pin and take the knife apart and clean it good, put the knife back together. Most of the time you can take the play out of the blade. At least that has been the case with me so far. It is a little more work than tightening up a pin through the bolster knife but I have been happy with my results. In fact I just recently took apart a Craftsman medium stockman that the main blade had plenty of wobble, put new scales on, and when I put it back together it tightened right up. I will post a couple pictures.
Attachments
BF544A70-BF5B-44F0-AD3F-A99C85D9EEA0.jpeg
486CB0D2-10A0-408B-B4E3-DF7D12FAF84A.jpeg
B6CC70E4-DAC3-41CC-9176-51FEB4633E49.jpeg
D7F7220C-448A-4D31-8890-29BF14B2E7AE.jpeg
D8961FCF-AF5F-4C26-B61C-9D6AD73BACD7.jpeg
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

That looks mighty fine to me, congratulations on a good job! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Those handles look great Ed.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Ed, I see that you do not drill out the Swinden system, and replace the pins (as many guys do).
Are you "tweaking" anything like hammering the liner flat or peening that keyed pin just a bit?
I'm asking because I have not taken one of these apart yet, and there are thousands of them around. Mechanically I would have to say that tweaking these just a bit would make for a solid/like new knife. Maybe better than new.

Nice choice on the scales by the way. I like that you stayed so similar to the original but still added some character. ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks Treefarmer, Keith, and Ken. As far as tweeking the system Ken I have not had to yet. I clean the pivot pins and between the blade tangs really well and clean the key hole. I have a tool like.....well it is a dentist pick. I take that and clean out the key whole. Then I flush with Gun Slick gun scrubber I am sure that it is like the Casey’s gun scrubber. I have had great results with the Gun Slick version. No adverse effects on any handle material yet. I know everyone or almost everyone uses Quick Release oil. I discovered Coon P it is a full synthetic lubricant that is sold through SMKW. After a good clean and flush with Gun Slick I put a drop of Coon P and it actually helps clean the joints. It pushes grime and dirt away from the joints. So I work the blades, wipe, repeat until the oil is almost clear. Then I blow it dry and put a final drop of oil in the joints. I hope that helps Ken. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ed, did cleaning it as you have described get rid of the blade play ?
kj
americanedgetech

kootenay joe wrote:Ed, did cleaning it as you have described get rid of the blade play ?
kj
That's what I am wondering...
I can see debris collecting on some portion of the system between moving parts, and off-setting something. Old oil or just plain dirt acting like a teeter totter effect...

Perhaps there is a set amount of spring or give built into the shell's key-way, and just cleaning it allows that action to work?
Ken Mc.

Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

KJ and Ken yes the knife was tight as new when I put it back together. Great walk and talk. Zero wobble. So far every swinden knife I have taken apart ,after cleaning , when I reassembled them they where tight and nice. May I run into one that gives me problems....mmmm yeah probably but it has not happened yet. Knock on wood. Thanks guys. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
americanedgetech

Thank you Ed!

Mental note made. ::nod:: (I had to kick out the Ibex :lol: )
Ken Mc.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”