Taylor Cutlery

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
drparham1656

Taylor Cutlery

Post by drparham1656 »

100_2525.jpg
100_2526.jpg
Can anyone give me any information on this knife? It says Taylor Cutlery on the blade and has what appears to be an elk head on one side and 440 stainless on the other side. It is a lock blade and has what I think are some type of bone handles. It belonged to my dad and he carried it for many years before he passed away and it came to me. I have had it in my safe for the past 27 years. Any information would be greatly appreciated!!
americanedgetech

Re: Taylor Cutlery

Post by americanedgetech »

Taylor Cutlery started around 1975, and most of their knives were made in Japan. I believe they moved to manufacturing in China around 92-93?. They are an American based company but like so many other cutlers from the 70's-80's they manufactured overseas, and sold them here, (Parker/Frost/Taylor)
Your knife looks to be one of the early Japan made patterns.

Maybe one of the more educated collectors here can ID it better for you.

Welcome to the forum Doc! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Taylor Cutlery became Taylor Brands and is in business today. If you're so inclined you can find their web site and learn all about them. They own the rights to cutlery brand names such as Schrade and Old Timer. Taylor Brands makes most of their knives in China today, and is owned by the same parent holding company that owns Smith & Wesson.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

That looks like a knife older than the Taylor Cutlery being referred to. Are bolsters steel rather than nickel-silver ?
Long pull is an older style although sometimes seen on modern knives.
Do you know approximate year when you father acquired this knife ?
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

There is a Taylor Eye Witness made in England.
Here a early post
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=25341&hilit=taylor+ ... ye+witness

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
americanedgetech

Shearer wrote:There is a Taylor Eye Witness made in England.
Here a early post

Grant
Grant,
When you click his images you can see the "Taylor Cutlery" stamp used by the modern Taylor in Tennessee. It is a classic looking design, and a good looking example.
Ken Mc.

Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

americanedgetech wrote:
Shearer wrote:There is a Taylor Eye Witness made in England.
Here a early post

Grant
Grant,
When you click his images you can see the "Taylor Cutlery" stamp used by the modern Taylor in Tennessee. It is a classic looking design, and a good looking example.
I could just make out the Taylor Cutlery but I cannot see the elks head.So I found a better picture of the tang stamp.
Looks like its made in Japan.Different knife same handle material
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TAYLOR-CUTL ... SwJb9WsBDM

Grant
Attachments
s-l500.jpg
americanedgetech

I wish I knew more about Taylor, and what was made where but in thinking about this... Is it possible that the OP knife was made in the U.S. at Taylor? I just realized the knife is not stamped "Japan".

DrParham... You could always send an email with a picture to Taylor brands... https://www.officer.com/inquiry/company/10111489

I would like to learn more about them.
Ken Mc.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

drparham1656 -- Welcome to AAPK and the stamp on your knife does indeed match that posted by Grant (Shearer)
By the way, that pattern is what's referred to as a "razor knife" or a "One Arm Man Knife"
case-xx-6205-r-one-arm-man.jpg
(left click on image to enlarge it)
Attachments
100_2525 With insert.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: Nice old Taylor knife with bone handles, it is what I believe to be an early model, maybe late 70's made. But I am not an expert on these. I do know that the long pull was used on some of the earlier models and I have owned several with bone handles. Taylor kind of got into the pocket knife business on the "coat tails " of several knife companies. He bought the trademarks and such and shipped manufacturing overseas. Not much of collector following although they are not a bad knife. Being your dads knife would mean a lot regardless of where it was made. ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

My idea that this knife is old, older than 1970's is wrong. It's an early Stewart Taylor knife. I am assuming "Taylor Cutlery" is the same Stewart Taylor who bought up the rights to Schrade USA in 2004 ?
He designed it to resemble an old pattern and with the use & wear it has been through, it now really does look like a much older knife. Neat !
If no "Japan" then he must have had it made in USA (Utica ?)
kj
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Shearer »

kootenay joe wrote:My idea that this knife is old, older than 1970's is wrong. It's an early Stewart Taylor knife. I am assuming "Taylor Cutlery" is the same Stewart Taylor who bought up the rights to Schrade USA in 2004 ?
He designed it to resemble an old pattern and with the use & wear it has been through, it now really does look like a much older knife. Neat !
kj
Taylor did not stamp all their knies where they came from.
They etch some of their knives which is easily removed.It's a bit like the later Schrades you can only tell that they are made in China once the etch is removed because they don't have USA on the tang stamp.

Grant
Attachments
taylor etch.JPG
just bob

Post by just bob »

This is a good resource that I bookmarked. I wish the author would have kept it up, but there is good info here.

http://apg2k.hegewisch.net/wow-6.html#g
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
americanedgetech

Shearer wrote:
kootenay joe wrote:My idea that this knife is old, older than 1970's is wrong. It's an early Stewart Taylor knife. I am assuming "Taylor Cutlery" is the same Stewart Taylor who bought up the rights to Schrade USA in 2004 ?
kj
Taylor did not stamp all their knies where they came from.
They etch some of their knives which is easily removed.It's a bit like the later Schrades you can only tell that they are made in China once the etch is removed because they don't have USA on the tang stamp.

Grant
That is what I did not know... IF they stamped the country of origin on everything the imported.
Mr. Taylor has stated on his site that he started his company in his duplex apartment by ordering knives with his company name stamped on them, and selling them by mail order only.
Honestly to this day I do not believe the he ever actually ran a manufacturing facility in the U.S. but I am not certain about this.

Just Bob,
Thank you for that link. It is a great resource.
I PDF'd it to my files.
Ken Mc.

drparham1656

Post by drparham1656 »

Thank you all for the great information! I am amazed that so many of you actually knew something about my knife, I have tried to research it but hit a good many dead ends. I will definitely take advantage of all the information you all have provided as I am just curious about it. It means a lot to me because it belonged to my dad. I'm not sure how long he had it but I myself have had it for 27 years but have never used it. I do know it must be pretty decent steel because it is super sharp even though I've never sharpened it, it's just the way it was when my dad passed away. Again, thank you all for the great information, I'm going to love being a part of AAPK!
americanedgetech

Happy to have ya here Doc! ::tu::
Ken Mc.

knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Here are a few early Taylor-Seto knives.
Attachments
Taylor2 1.jpg
Taylor2 2.jpg
TaylorBootDagger1.jpg
Taylor-SetoGoldenDragon1.JPG
Taylor-SetoGoldenDragon2.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
americanedgetech

Does anyone have or have a link to Taylor tang stamps that they can share?
I don't know that there are any variations but it would be interesting to know how to date these knives.
Ken Mc.

alabama

Post by alabama »

early to mid-80s japan made-I used to sell these in 80s--along with a flood of parkers..
alabama

Post by alabama »

these knives and parker knives had japan inked lightly on back of blade-worn off through use-and pencil erasers-one or 2 swipes and your knife had-parker brothers Chattanooga tenn.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”