Washington Cutlery

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Leo H

Re: Washington Cutlery

Post by Leo H »

kootenay joe wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:35 am Thank you for posting the Lutters. I have a few Lutters of the same pattern. Just sent one to a fellow as a gift.
kj
I can’t see why the blade on mine isn’t closing. Is it possible this blade was longer, but was trimmed back at some time and that’s why the point doesn’t rest below the scales?
I can’t see any other debris in the knife that might be preventing the knife from closing further.
Attachments
1F8F5718-40AF-4011-ADBF-CED5D7A572AC.jpeg
8A9F4D25-B67B-4D3A-981D-CFDA42B6B4B1.jpeg
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Yes the blade has been sharpened and become a little short so tip is exposed. You might be able to file down the tang 'kick', the point where the tang rests on the spring when blade is closed. If you try this file off only a very tiny amount of steel. File off too much and the blade will sit too deep and it will be hard to access the nick to get the blade open. Only 2 file strokes at a time and then check to see where tip lies when blade is closed.
kj
Leo H

Post by Leo H »

kootenay joe wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:06 pm Yes the blade has been sharpened and become a little short so tip is exposed. You might be able to file down the tang 'kick', the point where the tang rests on the spring when blade is closed. If you try this file off only a very tiny amount of steel. File off too much and the blade will sit too deep and it will be hard to access the nick to get the blade open. Only 2 file strokes at a time and then check to see where tip lies when blade is closed.
kj
Understood. It hasn’t been a physical problem yet, more of an appearance concern, and a question to be answered.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”