Early Case Bradford with "Stainless" shield

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
58chevy348

Early Case Bradford with "Stainless" shield

Post by 58chevy348 »

Just wondering how scarce an early Case shield marked "Stainless" is. One tang stamp is Case Bradford, and another is "Case's Stainless." I didn't have one of these shields in my collection or the tang stamp with stainless. Thanks!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Early Case Bradford with "Stainless" shield

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I think any knife marked Case's Stainless is pretty scarce. And that's the first one I recall seeing with that shield.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I've never seen that stainless shield on a Case but I do have one with the Case's Stainless tang stamp and the tang stamp chart says 1915-20 for that which would match up with the Case Bradford years. The goldstone cell handles would also be indicative of that time period. Could be a rare one. ::shrug::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

I wonder about the tang stamp chart since stainless was not even invented or perfected in 1915 and wasn't available for cutlery manufacturing until 1919 according to Levine.
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Knife is authentic, and fairly rare. My guess is that the knives like this one marked CASE's STAINLESS were introduced in the 1920's. I have Case price lists from 1931-33 that list them, but in the 1934 price list they were all gone.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Here's a history of stainless steel.
http://www.bssa.org.uk/about_stainless_steel.php?id=31
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
americanedgetech

Post by americanedgetech »

Gunsil wrote:I wonder about the tang stamp chart since stainless was not even invented or perfected in 1915 and wasn't available for cutlery manufacturing until 1919 according to Levine.
The knife industry seems to get/use exotic materials well before the rest of industry catches on.
Aluminum is a prime example. Early aluminum handles come in at about the same time as the processes to use it commercially came in. The time when Most people consider it "invented".

I can only assume it is because eating is right up there in the top two survival basics, and knives are about as basic A need as people had back then. Way more important than beer cans or bicycles... ::super_happy::
Ken Mc.

WTB Kershaw 2120 MACHO Lockback Parts knife
I need a pile side scale. THX!
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Thank you all for the input on this knife. My further research puts the knife anywhere from 1916 through the 1920s (and possibly very early 1930s as stated above).
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

One time on the antiques Roadshow a lady had a French ladies powder box. The appraiser told her it was from when aluminum a new found item and people considered it rarer than gold so you have a item priced at $xx. I have seen a couple at antique shows and wouldn't give a plug nickel for one.
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

mrwatch wrote:One time on the antiques Roadshow a lady had a French ladies powder box. The appraiser told her it was from when aluminum a new found item and people considered it rarer than gold so you have a item priced at $xx. I have seen a couple at antique shows and wouldn't give a plug nickel for one.
Value is most assuredly in the eye of the beholder. Often a perilous river to navigate! ::nod::
------------------

Greg

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”