Old Case Bradford farmer trapper

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Landersknives

Old Case Bradford farmer trapper

Post by Landersknives »

I have acquired a couple old Case knives in the last few days and I need some help. First one up to bat is this two blade farmer trapper. First I just want to be sure the knife is legit. I believe it is but you guys know more than me. Second I believe the handles are Rogers bone. I know the knife is not in the greatest of shape but I would like to fix or replace the mark side handle. So the knife would at least be complete again. The knife is as I received it. Thank you for your input and help.
Attachments
IMG_0516.JPG
IMG_0518.JPG
IMG_0519.JPG
IMG_0520.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
espn77

Re: Old Case Bradford farmer trapper

Post by espn77 »

Wow Ed. That's a pretty sweet old knife.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thanks Keith I really like the farmer trapper pattern. I have several, some better than others. I like the well loved knives I have cause I look at the knife and think of all the people through the years that has held or used the knife. I know the knife above has some blade loss and the problem with the handles but I still like it very much. One of my favorite patterns and my oldest Case knife ,if it is authentic, a win win for sure. ::tu::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Looks authentic to me and yes Rogers Bone ::tu:: 62048 1915-20

Tom
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Thank you very much Tom. Any ideas on where I might find some bone to match (lol I know probably never gonna happen) for a repair. Thank you again sir you made my morning. ::ds::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

Landersknives wrote:Thank you very much Tom. Any ideas on where I might find some bone to match (lol I know probably never gonna happen) for a repair. Thank you again sir you made my morning. ::ds::
If a person had a big pile of that bone he could probably retire comfortably. Good luck on finding it but it sure won't be easy or quick in my opinion.

Tom
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Nice old knife, I too like knives with "character", you probably won't have any luck finding 100 year old Rogers bone but you might consider replacing both sides with some matching jigged bone or stag. One of the custom knife repair men on this forum might do it for you. Good luck, ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

Hers is a Case Tested B2048 SP - imitation onyx handles.
Attachments
IMG_4288.JPG
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Wow Steve that is a beautiful knife. Terry I think you are right. I have repaired a couple of knives replacing the handles. I may give this one a go if I don't run across enough rogers bone to do the patch. I have a decent supply of India sambar stag I was lucky and purchased a good sized lot. I would love to keep the rogers bone but I know that is going to be a miracle if it happens. I also picked up a 3318 tested with great walk and talk but bad handles. I will post pictures of that one later probably start another thread for it. This 62048 has good walk and talk. Would you guys figure this one to be fair or good or in between? I like to write down purchase price and estimated value just in case something happens to me. 10% or 15% of a guide value? Thank you to all that have commented. I do value your opinions.
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ed I'm certain that you know condition is the most important factor in a knifes value and your knife has a great deal of blade wear. If your focus is to turn a profit on that knife I'm not certain that new handles will significantly increase it's value. If however it's for your own personal enjoyment you are the captain. When I look at a knife to buy for my personal collection, blade condition is the premier requirement. Just a thought you may do with it what you desire. ::handshake::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Landersknives

Post by Landersknives »

Hey Greg yes sir I understand what you mean about condition. I was asking in general the condition you guys would think it is so I can list it in my ledger for my sons and wife when I leave this world. I list what I pay for a knife, then my thoughts on condition, then take the percentage of the guides price. That way maybe when I am gone it will help them out IF they decide to sell my collection. I believe in the condition my knife is in maybe 10-15% of guide value. I know there is blade wear and the handle issue but then I take into consideration the walk and talk and the "rarity" of the knife plus for a knife in "fair" condition what parts could be used to make another knife nicer. No I won't be selling it but I figure one day it will find another home. Just trying to think ahead for my family and I wanted to see if I am misjudging the condition of my knife. Thank you Greg for your input. ::handshake::
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan
Landersknives

Update on Rogers/Rodgers bone!

Post by Landersknives »

::ds:: Thanks to a friend and fellow AAPK member espn77 I have a set of Rogers/Rodgers bone scales. Early I believe I am going to post a picture but it truely does not do them justice. Thank you Keith for the chance to bring back some of the glory of this knife. Oh I will add more pictures with the handles by the knife later. Super excited and nervous at the same time. Lol
Attachments
IMG_0531.JPG
Ed
“No brag just fact”
Walter Brennan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”