Serious Knife for a part time collector

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jp72956

Serious Knife for a part time collector

Post by Jp72956 »

I have a Exotic Spiny Oyster Sowbelly Prototype made by Mike Dubois. It has incorrect pattern stamp. It's the only one they made.

I'm a part time collector and this beauty really makes my collection look bad. Have thought of selling this but I'm at a lost as to what it's worth could someone on here guide me in the right direction as to at least get a reasonable appraisal.
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Serious Knife for a part time collector

Post by terryl308 »

I am not familiar with Mike Dubois or his prices. you might try to contact him as to what your knife is worth. Also what do you have invested in it? Do you think it is worth more than that? Just a starting point. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
hardman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by hardman »

Mike Dubois is a highly skilled, talented, and very well known and respected senior artisan for W. R. Case & Sons Cutlery. He runs the Case repair and custom shop. The knife you describe was probably a prototype made by Mike. That would be highly prized by Case Sowbelly collectors or simply by collectors of prototypes. Mike often scribes his name on one of the inside liners of his prototypes.

I am not a big Sowbelly collector, nor a frequent collector of proyotypes. So I will not offer up a value. But that is indeed a serious knife, and if authentic has some serious potential value.
Gary

"Now it cuts like a knife, but it feels so right." Bryan Adams
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Getting a value estimate on a knife like that is difficult. The fact that it's a one-of-a-kind means there are no comparable sales of that knife from which to get a data point. So your comparables are pretty much limited to other one-of-a-kind custom or prototype knives. Try doing an enhanced search on eBay for completed sales of Case prototypes.

And welcome to AAPK!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

When I first read this post I wasn't quite sure what it was all about.I had no idea who Mike DuBois was and what a Spiny Lobster sowbelly was. Not enough information for me anyway. Is it a Case knife or some other brand? What is the incorrectness of the pattern number? How do you know it is a one off knife? Did any provenance come with the knife?
As was said before rarity does not necessarily make anything valuable. As to what it is actually worth in my humble opinion it is the old axiom:Value is what the buyer is willing to pay and what the seller is willing to let it go for.
Pictures are always a help.
Welcome to the forums;hope you stay around for awhile .
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Out of curiosity I did a little research over on the Case Collectors Club Forum. Found several threads referencing a handle material called "Spiny Oyster" that Case introduced in 2005. Since then Case has apparently released limited numbers of several patterns handled in Spiny Oyster. This was published by Case in a 2005 catalog:
Exotic Spiny Oyster
Although the word oyster is in the name, these knife hanldes are actually made of an organic gemstone referred to as coral. Coral is naturally formed and composed of mineral calcite deposits. The color seen in any piece of coral is derived from natural pigments in the coral tissue. Found in the warm coastal waters of the Mediterranean Sea, Canary Islands, Sea of Japan, and the Bay of Biscay, coral is highly prized. Just take one look at these knives and you'll see firsthand why they are must-haves for your collection. The Spiney Oyster handle is inlayed with Gold Lip Mother-of-Pearl. Only 500 of each knife were produced and are now available at your local Case Authorized Dealer.

I picked up a few pictures off the site (see below), some of which have fancy filework, scrolled bolsters, and MOP inlays. Also found a thread referencing a July 2017 Case Tour event hosted by Shephard Hills Cutlery, at which a "Spiny Oyster Sowbelly Proto" was given away in a drawing. Wondering if the OP in this thread was the winner. ::shrug::

Ken
Spiny Oyster Seahorse Whittler, gold lip pearl inlays
Spiny Oyster Seahorse Whittler, gold lip pearl inlays
Spiny Oyster Sowbelly, gold lip pearl inlays
Spiny Oyster Sowbelly, gold lip pearl inlays
Spiny Oyster Russlock, worked bolsters, MOP inlays
Spiny Oyster Russlock, worked bolsters, MOP inlays
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Jp72956

Post by Jp72956 »

Thanks for all the input

As for my my total investment into this Knife, it's $0. I just happen to be the grand prize winner at a Case Knife Show. And I have a certificate of authenticity. It also has The makers initials are inside. Will have picture of real Knife later this evening
Attachments
IMG_1456.PNG
Jp72956

Post by Jp72956 »

Here is the picture of actual knife
Attachments
image.jpg
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

Now it is all coming together quite nicely. Cool story on a cool knife in my opinion. I would have no idea of the value of this knife, but I would think that it would fetch a pretty penny to the right person. Thanks for looking here for answers.
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
Jp72956

Post by Jp72956 »

Like I said earlier I'm a small time collector that happened to be at the right place at the right time. Would love for someone that is a serious collector to have this for there collect. I will continue to research this Knife but in the mean time I guess it will stay in its case. Thank you to all that has responded

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”