Maher & Grosh Barehead Jack

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Maher & Grosh Barehead Jack

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a 3 1/2" barehead jack with single spearpoint blade, half stop, enclosed backspring and 2 brass slot screws in each wood handle. Tang is marked "Maher & Grosh".
Is this a legitimate M & G knife made by Miller Bros likely around 1900 ?
It looks o.k. to me but i have no other knives with screws in handle pieces.
thanks for the help,
kj
Attachments
Picture 006.jpg
Picture 007.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Picture 010.jpg
Picture 011.jpg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Maher & Grosh Barehead Jack

Post by peanut740 »

The knife is correct.It also has a covered backspring. Made by Miller Brothers.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. I did mention "enclosed backspring".
What about age ? I have read that M.B. stopped using screws on the handles fairly early on, thus making this knife one of the 'older' M.B.
kj
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Hard to say,but it is likely pre1910.
Roger
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks. This then is my first 'older' Miller Bros. knife.
kj
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Roland, You picked up a smashing Maher!! I was also watching that knife recently and so was several of me knife buddies. We all were talking about it... Great SNAG my friend. The more Mahers you get,,,The more APPRECIATION you will have for them and their Quality. I have found that I enjoy the Maher & Grosh w/out the Toledo marking more so,,,not that I dont like the ones stamped w/ Toledo,,,I just have found that the earlier models are Pre-Toledo stamped IMHO.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

ratlesnake75 wrote:Hey Roland, You picked up a smashing Maher!! I was also watching that knife recently and so was several of me knife buddies. We all were talking about it... Great SNAG my friend. The more Mahers you get,,,The more APPRECIATION you will have for them and their Quality. I have found that I enjoy the Maher & Grosh w/out the Toledo marking more so,,,not that I dont like the ones stamped w/ Toledo,,,I just have found that the earlier models are Pre-Toledo stamped IMHO.
Kind Regards,
Mark
Not true.This is the earliest I have.It was used in the 1 80's and according to Pete Cohan the former curator of the National Knife Museum it was their oldest mark.It is hard to know for sure what the oldest is because of the different makers etc.But I have this stamp on several knives that have the deep stamped Maher & Grosh Razor Steel on the blade.
Attachments
20170910_091924.jpg
Roger
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Roger, AHAHAHAH I stand to be corrected as both stampings go back to the 1870s 1880s.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Roger, Could we conclude that the older Maher knives had a DEEP ETCHING instead of the later Ink etches?? Could this be one way of indicating an older example from the 1800's period? Thanks for your time
Kind Regards,
Mark
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

Mark,I don't know if it that is absolute or not,but that one's I have with the deep stamped blades have the arched Maher & Grosh over Toledo O.I believe those pre-dawn acid etched.The inked on etch is very late in the life of the original M&G company(c1960-70's.
Roger
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Roger, That is very interesting and I appreciate the info sharing on this brand. I LOVE M&G knives especially their Etches!! They are just killer man
Kind Regards,
Mark

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”