Recommendations for work pocket knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Work Knife

Re: Recommendations for work pocket knife

Post by Work Knife »

I love the spyderco Military knives and was actually bidding on some on ebay but did not win. I also saw post on the spyderco forum that S30V also has chipping problems but one customer send his back and they replaced it for him. Saw a guy on utube demonstrating how he was hammering his D2 blade into a penny and it did not even bend the burr, yet I read that D2 is supposed to be brittle, but I was thinking of the XHP steel that is supposed to be an improved version of D2. I am thinking about getting an opinel knife but I would like something easier to open and close.

I would like to thank every one for the warm welcome I received here and the help and recommendations.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Work Knife wrote:. I am thinking about getting an opinel knife but I would like something easier to open and close.
Those Twistmasters are a lot like Opinels. Just easier to open. ::nod::
Attachments
DSCN7987.JPG
DSCN7997.JPG
Joe
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Opinels and other French made knives, typically have a Rockwell rating considerably softer than many modern U.S. knives. I love Opinels, but I can't imagine them standing up to rugged encounters with metal etc.
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

Here is a fairly inexpensive Work Knife...see the link below.

http://droppointhunter.com/items/Hunting%20Knives

www.Droppointhunter.com

These knives have even been tested by members here in AAPK...see results in another thread. These are off-shore made knives and they are built like a tank

Tom
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

garddogg56 gives good advice from first hand experience.

Another large knife that might fit your needs and your budget is a Case folding hunter. Shepard Hills has one on sale for a great price -- https://www.casexx.com/Pattern/DisplayP ... nAutoID=21
Attachments
Case 2016 Folding Hunter 6265 SS - Mark Open.JPG
Case 6265 SS - Folding Hunter (8-6-17)-1.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

Here's a Milwaukee Hardline with a 3.5" D2 tool steel blade. It' a ball bearing flipper with plenty of backbone and stays sharp.
DSCN1465.JPG
DSCN1471.JPG
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

jerryd6818 wrote:garddogg56 gives good advice from first hand experience.

Another large knife that might fit your needs and your budget is a Case folding hunter. Shepard Hills has one on sale for a great price -- https://www.casexx.com/Pattern/DisplayP ... nAutoID=21
The Case folder is a good one and the D-2 tool steel knife blade is about as tough as you can get, but a little hard to get an edge back on, I personally don't care for the belt clip for a hard working knife, it's a little hard on your hand if your cutting some really hard to cut stuff., ---so go from there I guess and good luck, ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

terryl308 wrote: I personally don't care for the belt clip for a hard working knife, it's a little hard on your hand if your cutting some really hard to cut stuff., Terry
::uc:: There's no belt clip on that knife.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

A lot of clips can be removed also.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Jerry that 65 is way too nice for work :shock: that bad-boy is a pure hunter ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

garddogg56 wrote:Jerry that 65 is way too nice for work :shock: that bad-boy is a pure hunter ::nod::
:lol: Then it fits right in with my pile of lookers, don't it dogg. It would be interesting to see how it would work out for the OP in his job.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
terryl308 wrote: I personally don't care for the belt clip for a hard working knife, it's a little hard on your hand if your cutting some really hard to cut stuff., Terry
Hey Jerry, I was refuring to the Milwaukee knife with the D-2 blade, it was what looks like a belt clip? Should have explained my comment a little clearer. I like the Case or old Western folding hunter style much better, not a big fan of any "tac" blades or handles. ::handshake:: (just me, I guess I'm showing my age!) ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

terryl308 wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:
Hey Jerry, I was refuring to the Milwaukee knife with the D-2 blade, it was what looks like a belt clip? Should have explained my comment a little clearer. I like the Case or old Western folding hunter style much better, not a big fan of any "tac" blades or handles. ::handshake:: (just me, I guess I'm showing my age!) ::handshake:: Terry
Sorry for muddying the waters, Terry. I'm not the brightest star in the sky.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Folding boxcutters are what I use when I face doing anything (cutting incredibly abrasive materials, scraping rust and grime off fasteners) that would ruin the edge of a good knife. I use the Gerber Edge, and an aluminum handed Kobalt mostly. Even though the Stanley 10-049 is a great replaceable blade knife, you need a screwdriver, and a lot of patience to change the blade out, that's why I typically just sharpen the blade on the one I have.

[image]https://productimages.knife-depot.com/8b/533649.jpg[/image]
rexstubbins

Post by rexstubbins »

just my 2 cents - any knife that can cut things is a good knife - don't pick a collectible - pick a rough rider cause it cuts and made in chinese and if yuo wear it out yuo get another.
Doug

The words vintage and antique are vague. Actually most words are vague. Even the word vague is vague.
Pocket Knife Art
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Work Knife wrote:Saw a guy on utube demonstrating how he was hammering his D2 blade into a penny...
Аctually, it's not a big deal. There are only damage on my hand with which I hit the knife. My favorite EDC Rat 1, AUS 8 steel. Budget, but strong knife, with low to medium grade steel with good heat treatment. Easy one hand opening and closing.There is a version with D2.
About Carpenters XHP - this is D2 with little more chromium. This will slightly increase the corrosion resistance, but nothing more.
Attachments
IMG_4873.JPG
IMG_4874.JPG
IMG_4877.JPG
Brian_R170

Post by Brian_R170 »

bighomer wrote:In my opinion you need one these they come in different sizes and are always sharp 'cause you just change tbe blade. An ole TL- 29 is tough also.
+1 on the folder with replaceable utility blades. I bought one when I was renovating an investment property a couple years ago. I used it for drywall, electrical, trim work, flooring, plumbing, irrigation. The one I bought was a Milwaukee with a button lock. I think it cost around $10 and came with a few blades. I ended up buying a big pack of blade too because I was flipping the blade over or replacing it nearly every day for a couple months.
Work Knife

Post by Work Knife »

Thanks for all of the replies, they were all very interesting to read, although I did buy a used knife a spyderco Endura used with ATS-55 steel for $35 the other day, but gave it away to my son. I hope to find another good deal on a used knife soon and am keeping my eyes open for something in D2, I could go for the Rat 1 but will keep looking. I like a knife with with a pocket clip if I can get one, I also heard that the tanto blades make good knives for construction workers because you have that flat edge to scrape with.
TigerWolf_Rosebud

Post by TigerWolf_Rosebud »

Lately I have been using Opinel # 8. I'm not too big on putting $100 case knife in my pocket letting lighters and coins Nick it up and lent fill the hinges up. At less than $20 you have very little risk and they perform very well
Knife collecting Deadhead :mrgreen:
gino

Post by gino »

What G Dog said exactly
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
alabama

Post by alabama »

schrade LB-7-25 dollars or so-better yet same lockback in carbon steel-#?? usa made...
eveled

Post by eveled »

I hesitated to post this because it is not a pocket knife, but it is a great.knife you should be aware of. I love mine.

Morakniv carpentry chisel knife. It is literally a chisel with a molded knife handle and one edge sharpened too. The sheath clips to my pocket for easy access and it has never fallen off, but mostly it lives in my plumbing bucket.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

eveled wrote:I hesitated to post this because it is not a pocket knife, but it is a great.knife you should be aware of. I love mine.

Morakniv carpentry chisel knife. It is literally a chisel with a molded knife handle and one edge sharpened too. The sheath clips to my pocket for easy access and it has never fallen off, but mostly it lives in my plumbing bucket.
Is this what you're talking about? Looks like a good choice for JPDave.
Attachments
418Df-G6iOL.jpg
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gino

Post by gino »

Try a Spyderco Tenacious
I keep one hanging in my garage to cut up cardboard or whatever else needs cut for garbage pickup or things I work on that I think might damage my edc and it is inexpensive at around 35.00-40.00 NIB and holds and takes a nice edge as well as a solid lock up
Attachments
68534341-C767-40B9-BED6-D1AA14DB5078.png
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
eveled

Post by eveled »

jerryd6818 wrote:
eveled wrote:I hesitated to post this because it is not a pocket knife, but it is a great.knife you should be aware of. I love mine.

Is this what you're talking about? Looks like a good choice for JPDave.
Yes that's it. Its a great knife. The only negative I have is that the sheath is for a regular knife, so it has a point and is about an inch too long. I keep meaning to trim mine then heat it and press it together. It's really no big deal.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”