Winchester trade mark made in USA toothpick

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
woodwalker

Winchester trade mark made in USA toothpick

Post by woodwalker »

This one belonged to my father in law. Handle material is pretty cool. Anyone know what it is and how old the knife is. Tried to take a pic of tang stamp but my phone camera is awful. Thanks for your help.
Attachments
IMG_20170719_152920.jpg
kootenay joe

Re: Winchester trade mark made in USA toothpick

Post by kootenay joe »

One picture with blade closed, is not enough to identify a knife.
Take the time to get good pictures & show with blade open to 90 degrees, both sides, plus an enlarged close up of any markings.
Then you likely will get your questions answered.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Your knife looks like what is referred to as a Winchester assortment knife. The flat handle contours, rather than rounded, are characteristic of these knives. If it is an assortment knife it will not have a pattern number on the side of the blade tang opposite the Winchester Trademark stamp. The assortment type knives were not the same quality as the regular production knives but are still very good knives and quite collectible.

A picture of the knife with the blade opened would help to evaluate the condition. Looks to be in pretty good condition as far as the frame and handles go. Pre-1943 production knife and should be a great keepsake.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Thank you for the information on the Winchester! I will post better pics this weekend as work has me tied up for now. I should have posted pics with the blade opened. Rookie mistake. Appreciate you guys knowledge. Thanks again.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Wayne there are many unauthorized Winchester branded knives as well as outright fakes, how can you be sure without seeing blade & markings ? I guess the answer is you know Winchester well enough that 1 pic blade closed is all you need. I doubt i will ever get that 'level'.
kj
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

kootenay joe wrote:Wayne there are many unauthorized Winchester branded knives as well as outright fakes, how can you be sure without seeing blade & markings ? I guess the answer is you know Winchester well enough that 1 pic blade closed is all you need. I doubt i will ever get that 'level'.
kj
I don't feel I know Winchester knives any better than any other brand but the knife looks like a typical Winchester assortment toothpick. Handle material and nail pull placement. As far as genuine old Winchester knives go these variety or assortment knives seem to be some of the most often encountered and less often faked.

On another note I recently purchased a Winchester knife that the seller excepted return on. I believe the knife was a very good fake made out of an older Boker or Primble knife. All blades of the knife were marked complete with a pattern number. The knife had what I believe were some of the best pantographed "stamps" that I have ever seen. Yes, there are plenty of fake Winchesters out there. So much so that Winchester can be a very challenging brand to collect.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
woodwalker

Post by woodwalker »

Here is a couple pics with blade open. My phone still having issues getting a clear pic of the tang stamp. I can read it very clearly but close up it blurs.
Attachments
IMG_20170722_133014.jpg
IMG_20170722_133034.jpg
IMG_20170722_134250.jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”