Help understand this pocket knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
JenHadorn

Help understand this pocket knife

Post by JenHadorn »

My dad was a knife lover, unfortunately he is no longer with us (we all miss him a lot). I was going through his knives and one struck me (it might not be anything special) but this was old and looks like it lived a few good lives. I don't know if this was a retirement gift or what. This sounds stupid but if someone is missing the owner as much as I miss my dad - it would be so cool to give it back to his family.

Obvious stuff - it's a J&CN Company that has Phillip Ellis on it.

Hey, thank you all so much for any help or "leads". I work two jobs so I will probably only put a few more days into this project.

Thank you - Thank you - Thank you!!!
Attachments
IMG_7786.JPG
IMG_7787.JPG
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help understand this pocket knife

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I looked through reference books I have - found J.C.N. Co., but no J&CN Company. Found a listing saying J.C.N. Co. was a marking used by the Jewelry Cutlery Novelty Company of North Attleboro, Mass, c 1937-1948. Maybe they're one and the same enterprise. ::shrug::

Some good clear pictures of the knife would help, including clear in-focus pictures of all markings. How to post pictures can be found in the AAPK Tips and Tricks sub-forum viewforum.php?f=98

Welcome to AAPK.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

It is what is called a "Skeleton" knife. They are very common especially as advertising or award knives. A knife manufacturer makes the knife but does not attach handle pieces to the liners. The unfinished knives are then purchased by a jewelry business which attaches the handle pieces as ordered by a customer (business not an individual).
The JCN jewelry business Ken found is likely the source of O.P. knife. But, which knife manufacturer actually made the knife is usually not known.
kj
JenHadorn

Post by JenHadorn »

Thank you so much for researching!! I will take better photos than the ones attached. I zoomed in on the company's name and took a screen shot.
Attachments
IMG_7810.PNG
JenHadorn

Post by JenHadorn »

Thank you so much...I guess finding the owner is going to be almost impossible. (I guess I watched too many NCIS episodes with my dad and they could find anybody-HAA!).
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Ah, i understand better now. "Philip Ellis" is not your father.
If you look on ebay under "Folding Knives" you will see skeleton knives, often quite fancy & well made, with a name engraved on one handle, as is yours. They were gifts or awards to the person named. My point is that it is common to own such a knife with the name of someone else on it. They can also be found at flea markets, second hand stores, pawn shops, etc.
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Jewelry & Cutlery Novelty Co. as was stated above bought so-called,"skeleton" knives from various companies and installed their own handles;usually made of sterling silver or gold filled metal and engraved them with people's names. The reason the name is on the bail is some of the knives they bought did not have a tang stamp so this is how they identified them. Their main product was watch fob knives but I have one that is stamped on the tang and is obviously a George Schrade pull ball switchblade. What is unusual about it is the blade has file teeth cut into the side to be used as a manicure blade.It is gold filled and some idiot who had it before me acid tested the handle to see if it was pure gold(it isn't). :x
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
JenHadorn

Post by JenHadorn »

Wow-you guys have a ton of knowledge about knives!!!!

I'm thinking I'll never find the owner's family. I just thought it would be cool because it looks like someone carried it with them everyday...I'm was to sentimental for this. Either way, it's a cool find in my dad's stuff. We have 77 Case xx and other expensive ones that I didn't even look at... I'm weird.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me!'nn

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”