A tale of two canoes

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
58chevy348

A tale of two canoes

Post by 58chevy348 »

Back in 1976 my father decided to buy a Case Canoe knife. He left to buy one knife but came home with two knives exactly the same. I was only 7 years old at the time, but I remember him telling my mother he bought one to carry, and one to store away. The result is what you see in the pics. Dad was a construction worker so his "carrying canoe" saw some rough heavy use. He carried that knife for about 20 years before finally tossing it in a drawer. Even after the bone scales chipped and cracked, he kept carrying the knife. This is another pair of knives I will likely never part with. In some ways, I like the worn version better--but that's just me.
Old Folder
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: A tale of two canoes

Post by Old Folder »

Great story chevy, thanks for sharing.
Wonderful that you can share these beauties with us and your future generations.
Good job. :lol: ::nod:: ::groove::
It's always important to know what you don't know.
Dan
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Thank you! Dad had about 25 pocket knives in his collection which he has already given to me. I didn't start collecting until a few years ago. Most of Dad's knives were Case with a few others in the mix. I'll cherish these and the few my grandfather owned more than any I could buy. I actually have a crude butcher knife my great grandfather made as well.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Good story.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Great story, great knives, very nice to have those heirlooms. ::tu:: ::tu::
Dan
Dan
deo-pa
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by deo-pa »

Man that is a great story. Many folks have a knife their father or grandfather carried but to have a "before" and an "after" is fantastic. You can see exactly the 20 years of serious use in the pocket wear, the blade loss, and the damage.

You might consider a pride-of-place shelf display with the two knives and a photo of your Dad. It would bring a smile every time you walked by.

This is also a great reminder that pocket knives started out as simply a practical tool and we have elevated them into something else. A very old mint condition knife may be beautiful but in one sense it failed its mission in life.

Dennis
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Dennis, I couldn't agree more! While I love a mint vintage knife, I also appreciate and respect the well worn examples. I always wonder what stories they hide.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nothing like a working mans knife Dennis ::nod:: especially when it's your Dads ::tu:: ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”