Case tested with hour bomb shield

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
steve99f

Re: Case tested with hour bomb shield

Post by steve99f »

This thread just made my day, thanks guys, those are some fine knives!
steve99f
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Interesting thread and some really beautiful knives displayed here.
Although I have quite a few Case knives I haven't really studied all the nuances associated with the brand so I cannot claim to know a whole lot about them. That being said I offer this up: Somewhere in this forum I seem to recall reading that the plain bomb shield could possibly have been just a regular shield that had been mounted upside down for whatever reason. Has anyone ever removed one of them to see if this were the case?
I also offer up my one and only bomb shield knife: a 5165 that has a bail attached. I have also read that Case never offered a bail on these knives and that it must have been an aftermarket installation. Well this is the story of this particular knife and I will leave it to your judgement as to whether this was the case or not.
I received this knife along with several others from an acquaintance in exchange for some repair work I had performed on a hundred year old draftsman's case that was covered with ray skin. This knife had belonged to his father-in-law and they had found it and the others in his cellar while cleaning it out after he had passed away. It apparently had been submerged in water for a period of time as the knife was rusted shut and was only able to be opened after soaking for several weeks in penetrating oil. When I finally did manage to pry it open I tried cleaning it to see what the tang stamp was but to no avail. The prolonged soaking had also darkened the stag considerably. I managed to clean the corrosion from the blade and put a decent edge on it.
As a collector piece I doubt it has much value but I like the story behind it and it will be included in the book I have been trying to write for the past several years.
Many Case collectors have said that the bail is not original to the knife but it was on there when I got it over 30 years ago and it doesn't look like someone had added it. So that is the story and I'm sticking to it!
Attachments
Case5165 TestedXX wbail.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

K7K: thats a really nice knife. But I gotta ask; how did you clean it up so much without it looking "cleaned"?
Bruce
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Ray I believe Case would ad bails on special orders. There is a pic in Sargents 7th of a case with about 27 patterns with bails also Steve confirms that in this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46841&p=481082&hil ... ls#p481082
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Berryb wrote:K7K: thats a really nice knife. But I gotta ask; how did you clean it up so much without it looking "cleaned"?

Bruce
There is an incredible amount of pitting in the blade and I basically just started sanding it out using 220 grit wet or dry paper on a flat surface using 3-in-1 oil for a lubricant.After removing as much of the pitted steel as possible without seriously compromising the shape(it still has a lot removed)I switched to 320 grit and then to 400 grit to finish it up. There is still a lot of pitting that cannot be removed but it makes a nice carry knife. The stag is in beautiful shape and the color is perfect for my tastes.
EDIT: Here are some close up pictures of the blade and handles.
Attachments
CaseTestedXX5165Details 001.jpg
CaseTestedXX5165Details 002.jpg
CaseTestedXX5165Details 003.jpg
CaseTestedXX5165Details 004.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
58chevy348

Post by 58chevy348 »

Love that stag! Great knife (and they're always special when they have a story to go with them!)

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”