J.Primble/Belknap/Germany 5373

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Re: J.Primble/Belknap/Germany 5373

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks for your input here Wayne. It is always much appreciated.
Yes the handle pins are flush with the liners.
There are many German knives that were assembled from left over parts during recent times, mainly 1980's from what i have read. Krusius is perhaps the best known. Many of the Krusius branded knives you see on ebay were not made in the Krusius factory.
This Primble 5373 is collectible to those who collect German knives assembled after factory closed. There are enough of these knives out there to get a sizable collection which could then be the reference for non factory assembled German knives.
But i also consider well done fakes as both collectible and educational. (if there is such a word ?)
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Here is a picture showing gap around handle pin.
kj
Attachments
Picture 011.jpg
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I think handle pin holes are beveled or counter-sunk, on the inside of the liners so that when peened down flat, they have a purchase. And they have to be flat and flush with the liner's inside surface so they do not interfere with the blade's motion.

You can see that bevel in KJ's photo above.

If the pin hole was drilled straight through and perfectly cylindrical, the pin would have to have a domed head on it inside the liner to produce purchase.

If the OP knife has been rehandled, whoever did it did a poor job of peening down the pin on the inside of the liner. They did not fill the bevel with peened pin material.

Hope that's as clear as I meant it to be.

Roland, take a similar photo of a knife you know to be righteous.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

"Hope that's as clear as I meant it to be". Yes, quite clear.

"take a similar photo of a knife you know to be righteous". O.K., coming up.

The picture also shows the 'layering' ? of the handle material seen in the handle edge along liner.
Does this look like horn or plastic to you ?
kj
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I just found a 2 5/8" pen knife marked: "J.Primble/Belknap/Germany" on master tang, no other markings. Imitation tortoise handles. I was able to get a pic of inside surface of a handle pin. This one has no gap between end of pin & surrounding liner.
Does this knife look to be an authentic Primble Germany knife ? or one made later on from parts ? Does this knife 'shed any light' on my single blade Stockman Jack ?
kj
Attachments
Picture 018.jpg
Picture 019.jpg
Picture 020.jpg
Picture 022.jpg
Picture 032.jpg
ratlesnake75

Post by ratlesnake75 »

Hey Roland, What you are seeing on the "Layers" on top of the 1-blade knife is the actual machining marks that are done during the hafting process of the handles,,sometimes mint knives show them better than others,,,depending upon how well polished the knife went through on the "fit & finish" process. Also, These machining marks wear down smooth after some carry or use,,so it blends in very well. Basically its just part of the "Fit & finish" process.

The only way I know to tell the difference between real horn and fake is by the HOT PIN test in a very inconspicuous spot and done very VERY quickly. I have done this MANY times to tell if its genuine bone/plastic/horn handles.

As per the rivot pin,,,looks very normal to me for GERMAN product,,,,sometimes they look better than others. Also important is that the "Shield" pin is shown on the inside of knife w/ no additional holes around it either,,,and it lines up like it suppose too vs the outside of the knife. So far I just dont see anything at all that jumps out at me for a Re handle job. Most re handle jobs show additional holes through the liners or the shield pins wont line up on the inside of knife,,,, I have seen several instances after a rehandle job,, they have glued the shield back into the handles instead of actually using rivots. At least this is what I have seen through my experience. I am sure there are competent restorations done on $500+ knives,,,but noone is going to spend that amount of time and expertise on a Primble Germany knife, IMHO.
Kind Regards,
Mark
I Buy/Sell/Trade All Vintage Antique Pocket knives from Junkers to Mint. I am Easy going, so Please shoot me a message ANYTIME!!! l Live & Breath KNIVES Everyday.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Mark esp. for explaining what to me looked like 'layering' is actually saw marks. As for the 5373, the handle pins and shield pin all line up with liner holes and there are no other holes in liners.
kj
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Roland, the handle pins inside the knife on the 5373 should look like those in the tortoise or tortoise celluloid handled knife.

They don't.

That's a red flag for me.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thanks Charlie. The weight of opinion supports your 'red flag'. It is unlikely that Primble ever sold a single blade 5373.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”