what makes red stag handles

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Phin Spencer

what makes red stag handles

Post by Phin Spencer »

Hi All; I have a question as to what makes red stag handles, and others with the same red
just stag? Did Case add a red color? I am a bit confused but it would not be the first time!
And what is the real deffiniton of red stag?
Regards to all and thanks in advance
Phin
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: what makes red stag handles

Post by QTCut5 »

A question I wondered about, myself, at one time. Then, I saw that Case also has Blue Stag and Green Stag as well as Midnight Stag (which is darker but not quite the same as Torched or Burnt Stag). Based on this observation, I have concluded that the Red in Red Stag is due to dye and not a specific type of antler such as from the Red Deer that are famous in Ireland. But that is just my best guess and I could be wrong.

Admittedly, some examples of Red Stag appear natural and not dyed.
P7060363.JPG
However it's produced (naturally or artificially), I think it's a beautiful material.
~Q~
~Q~
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

That is correct, it's dyed. Sometimes, Case Red Stag knives will have an "R" preceding the "5" in the pattern number.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

This didn't seem to be a brand specific thread so the only Red Stag I have is a GEC.
Attachments
GEC 852211 UN-X-LD Teardrop Jack  Red Stag no ser (1 of 23 pcs no ser).JPG
GEC 852211 Teardrop Jack - Red Stag - Pile.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
jlw257

Post by jlw257 »

I guess some newer knives are dyed, but what I had ( Case XX ) were natural Red Stag which sometimes occurs in the Sambar Stag antlers.

Edit: Case USA 2nd Cut were Dyed Stag or Bone
Attachments
IMG_0726.PNG
Larry W

Happiness is looking for XX Case Red Stag Knives
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A group of beautiful knives, Larry. ::tu::
Joe
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:This didn't seem to be a brand specific thread so the only Red Stag I have is a GEC.
That's a jaw dropper Jerryd! ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Phin Spencer

Post by Phin Spencer »

Hi again;
Was speaking of 1970 Case 10 dot knives.
The handles on some are called red stage, and other ones
are called stag. They all have the same red in them. I know
burnt stag which are brownish (over burnt black), white stag,
which haws not been burnt or touched. But how does the red
get on some 10 dot knives, that are called just stag?
just to clarify
Phin
Phin Spencer

Post by Phin Spencer »

Hii again and again
For example page 57 in, in Steve's new book, 4th picture down the Peanut has floating
red on the tail end. Not saying it is it is not red stag, but there is red floating. The
only way to tell is the mark side. I still an confused.
Phin
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::handshake::
QTCut5 wrote:A question I wondered about, myself, at one time. Then, I saw that Case also has Blue Stag and Green Stag as well as Midnight Stag (which is darker but not quite the same as Torched or Burnt Stag). Based on this observation, I have concluded that the Red in Red Stag is due to dye and not a specific type of antler such as from the Red Deer that are famous in Ireland. But that is just my best guess and I could be wrong.

Admittedly, some examples of Red Stag appear natural and not dyed.
P7060363.JPG

However it's produced (naturally or artificially), I think it's a beautiful material.
~Q~
My opinion is that knife companies have made this a confusing subject by putting different labels on there handle material. Like Qtcut5 has stated , most of the Red Stag is just dyed "antler" and maybe not real stag. Real Sambar Stag comes from India and is getting really hard to obtain because India is not exporting any. When they did export it , it was treated with potassium permanganate to kill any bugs and turned the antler a rich brown. I believe a lot of the "red stag" is just dyed antler of some type. Some knife companies must have put in a good supply of Sambar stag because if they call their handle Stag (regardless of the color) I believe it is true sambar stag. Hope I didn't confuse the issue more, ::tu:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Phin Spencer wrote:Hi again;
Was speaking of 1970 Case 10 dot knives.
The handles on some are called red stage, and other ones
are called stag. They all have the same red in them. I know
burnt stag which are brownish (over burnt black), white stag,
which haws not been burnt or touched. But how does the red
get on some 10 dot knives, that are called just stag?
just to clarify
Phin
Phin, thanks for clarifying that your question regards 1970 Case knives. I may be wrong but it has been my understanding that at that time Case used a flame (torch) process to bring out the colors in their Sambar stag. I believe the red color on some knives is just due to differences in how the natural stag material reacted to the flame. Just natural random differences from one piece of stag to another. I've seen knives from that era having areas of reds, greens, greys, etc on one side and a different color or just browns and golds on the other side.

This was in the days before Case started marketing colors as a collector "hook". At that time there was no intent on Case's part to make "red stag" handles.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I understand this thread is intended to be about Case Red Stag, but i would like to use this opportunity to ask about my GEC #23, 2007 Red Stag knife. This could be referring to the European Red Deer which is similar to the North American elk. However i think it is the same Stag they use on other knives, but dyed reddish brown to become "Red Stag".
In other words, regardless of manufacturer when you read "Red Stag" it means regular Stag dyed red.
kj
Attachments
Picture 002.jpg
Picture 003.jpg
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Dang Joe, that 23 is beautiful!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
RobesonsRme.com
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I probably should stay out of this discussion, because every time I express an opinion re' Case Cutlery, I end up chastised for my ignorance.

But.....

I think the original "red stag" Case knife handles from the Tested or XX period were a total accident and the result of a dying phenomenon. Older knife handles were not "died" with a colored dye, they were treated with chemicals, such as potassium permanganate (?sp).

Whatever Case did to the stag, it resulted in truly red stag. It wasn't burned or torched or anything like that.

And most of the knives shown in this thread do not have red stag handles. Some of Larry's knives may well be "Red Stag ", but not knowing their age, I cannot say. The others in the thread are stag, they might suggest the color red. But they are not the so-called genuine "Red Stag".

I wish I had a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about, but I don't.

There is a perfect example of a Red Stag 91 whittler in Jim Sargent's books, I think.

This same level of confusion exists re' Case red bone knives.

Steve is probably going to come along and tell me I have no idea what I'm talking about and that's OK. I'll appreciate the corrective instruction.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: I wish I had a photo to illustrate what I'm talking about, but I don't.
Charlie, Is this knife (Case XX 5165) germane to your point? No worries if not. I like this knife, but have thought the color looks artificial instead of natural.
Attachments
Case XX 5165
Case XX 5165
Case XX 5165
Case XX 5165
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

I believe Charlie Noyes reply
is the correct one regarding older CASE red stag..
an un expected and un entended reaction ...
the newbies were purposely dyed red
to mimick the old ones. . .
applauds Charlie .. . .
and uh

HET !!!!!!!!
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Hey Charlie,

Does this fit to what you are saying...

CASE XX Red Stag 5260 with tip bolsters.

Jerry
Attachments
Red Stag 5260_mark side blades open.jpg
Red Stag 5260_pile side blades open.jpg
Red Stag 5260_mark side closed.jpg
Red Stag 5260_pile side closed.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Larry, Jerry, Jerry, I don't know what the correct color term is for your knives but they are sure nice.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Well here I go (JMHO) ___ ::hmm::
I have always thought that the red stag slabs used in knife handles & called such,came from the European "'Red Deer" -- not really because of the color* -- Red Deer,like the Sambar Deer are larger, therefore having bigger/better antlers for making knife handles --- hence Red Stag ,Sambar Stag,ect.

recent red stag is "dyed" and as mentioned, the treatment process of the early knives caused some pretty red stag -- I have read many times on this site,that Case never mentioned in catalogs or sold a ""RED BONE"" knife ( only bone handle knives* ) -- Red Stag is mentioned only in the newer knife listings -- we as collectors have always talked our own language about our own knives --red bone to some is pretty bone to others ::shrug:: -- red stag to some is knarlly stag to others ::shrug::

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_deer
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
Phin Spencer

Post by Phin Spencer »

Thanks all;
It seems that red stag was either chemical treated, or dyed. But in 1970 Case was not pushing
the red dye, that is where the question came from. No stag from any deer ever had red in it.
Red stag is a type of deer called that because of the hide color. I think I have learned a bit from
this discussion tho I still don't know what to call the stag that is red or red tinted from 1970.
Thanks Again
Phin
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Abso-freaking-gorgeous stag Q, Larry, Jerry, Joe, and Ralph. My my my, have mercy.
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
MrBlister

Post by MrBlister »

heres couple o reds . .

yep yanno its comin . . .
HET
Attachments
625.JPG
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

This is stag courtesy of Tim Britton, don't know if he did the dye work though.
Attachments
WP_20170710_011.jpg
WP_20170710_012.jpg
WP_20170710_013.jpg
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Nice looking Swayback you have there Ivoryman.
kj
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

That is a gorgeous wharnie, I-man, (oh, and the stag is pretty awesome as well ::nod:: )

~Q~
~Q~

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”