what's your jack knife and why

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
americanjack

what's your jack knife and why

Post by americanjack »

I just bought my first jack knife and I like to collect more. Can you help with the names and pattern numbers. Mine is a GEC 78 in cranberry red jigged bone.

American Jack
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: what's your jack knife and why

Post by jerryd6818 »

Pictures please. We truly love pictures. Here's how to post 'em. ---> viewtopic.php?f=98&t=50258

I'm a Jack Knife fan as well. Not so much the sub-3" variety but 3¼" and up (mostly) light my fire. I'm prejudiced more towards the serpentine frame.

An older picture of my small medium jack collection. I've added a couple since then.
Attachments
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg
AAPK Welcome Sign.jpg (31.51 KiB) Viewed 1294 times
Medium Jacks (02-06-16).JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Welcome to AAPK! You've picked one of the most popular knife patterns of all time so you'll have plenty of options to choose from if you want to collect jack knives. There's a great search feature on this site so if you want to research this pattern just open the "Quick links" (up there ^ on the left), click "Search" in the drop-down menu, type "jack" into the search field, hit submit, and stand back cuz you'll get a lot of hits! :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::handshake:: ::Damn Jerry that looks like something straight out of the Marine Manual, you know dress right dress and all that good stuff! I'd show all my accumulation but I'm not that organized as you! Nice bunch of Knives! And welcome to AAPK American Jack, I'm sure you find this an interesting site ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

::welcome:: to AAPK!

I prefer jack knives too and often carry a trapper or gunstock. I've liked the look and feel in hand of these patterns since I was a kid.
Attachments
K.R. Johnson Trapper.JPG
van Reenen Bent Gunstock 1.jpg
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Terry that's the product of an unoccupied mind and a quick, easy task.

AmericanJack --- I'm sorry, I got side tracked (which gets easier all the time these days -- "Oh look. There goes a chicken.") and didn't really address your original post (OP).

As far as brands, EVERYONE makes jack knives. Probably the most ubiquitous base pattern you will find aside from the stockman pattern. There are bunches of sub-patterns in the jack knife family. There's sizes all the way from sub-3" up to the 4½" English Jack and beyond. Made in all those sizes are serpentine jacks, gunstock jacks, English jacks, Wharncliffe jacks, equal-end jacks, trappers, cigar jacks, tear-drop jacks and on and on. They're all jack knives because they have two blades, both swung from the same end. I suggest you may want to start out with one of each and at some point in time, one particular pattern and or size and or brand will rise above all the others. Maybe you will find two or three patterns or brands or sizes getting most of your attention. Buy what you like. If you tire of them quickly, you can always sell them later (I can't but you might be able to. :lol: ) Various patterns, various sizes, various brands, various handle materials. Something is bound to strike a chord with you. Good luck and most of all, enjoy.

Try scrolling through an eBay search on "jack knives". There's over 1700 to look at today. ---> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=ro ... e&_sacat=0
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

I love jack knives but my favorite are the old classics with Ebony handles like this old HSB.
Attachments
20161030_180549.jpg
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

::tu:: AJ, I too got side tracked, getting back to your post------I like trappers but have many other jack knives also. You picked a good one to start with, Great Eastern is a great USA company and makes a quality knife. I have included a photo of a few of my trappers, top one is a Scout GEC, next down on the left is a stag Casexx, then a newer yellow handle case, then a Western Boulder,Colo. then a Browning mini trapper. On the right side is a Queen, followed down by another jig bone delrin Queen, another queen, and a full size Browning. The patterns and handle material are really almost endless, collect what ever you like and enjoy it. ::shrug:: Terry
Attachments
DSC_0930.JPG
DSC_0931.JPG
DSC_0932.JPG
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

gsmith7158 wrote:I love jack knives but my favorite are the old classics with Ebony handles like this old HSB.
Be still, my heart! ::tu::
americanjack

Post by americanjack »

Thanks everyone ! I didn't expect to get all this information from everbody about Jack Knives. I have to save up for my next knife. I don't know which to buy, but I be looking at all the information that was sent.

Thanks Again
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

tongueriver wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote:I love jack knives but my favorite are the old classics with Ebony handles like this old HSB.
Be still, my heart! ::tu::
Thanks Cal I slipped up on that one early one morning and got it for $16.
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

I typically lean more toward stockman and Congress knives. But when it comes to Jack knives I like the big boys. The 99 1/2 pattern CASE, 6217 CASE Loomfixer, Carl Schlieper copperheads, and trappers (preferably Queen #19 pattern).
IMG_0331.JPG
IMG_0332.JPG
IMG_0333.JPG
IMG_0334.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

jerryd6818 wrote:As far as brands, EVERYONE makes jack knives. Probably the most ubiquitous base pattern you will find aside from the stockman pattern. There are bunches of sub-patterns in the jack knife family. There's sizes all the way from sub-3" up to the 4½" English Jack and beyond. Made in all those sizes are serpentine jacks, gunstock jacks, English jacks, Wharncliffe jacks, equal-end jacks, trappers, cigar jacks, tear-drop jacks and on and on.
The Barlow gets lumped in with "on and on"? ::disgust:: ::td::
30425018600_c5c860033f_b.jpg
29003699780_51a1379ce3_b.jpg
30734718641_9aff39cd04_b.jpg
23655905564_91e7b8f0f7_b.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
#goldpan

Post by #goldpan »

Tony loves the Barlows! ::tu:: I do as well... wait a second... My knives are scattered all over the place. Makes it hard to grab a picture. I'll just say this. I have not seen a knife that I didn't like or want to own. Even those ugly ratty old used up POS knives have an appeal to me ::paranoid:: Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome:: This is a good place to get the knife collecting bug. ::super_happy:: Its a highly contagious virus that..... Oh no I see that you already have it! AK ::facepalm::
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Here's a few of mine, they run the gauntlet of size, type and quality. You can pick them up on the cheap if you are like me "TIGHTWAD" the most expensive knife jere cost $26.91, I didn't include any barlows and electrician (TL-29) although they fit the criteria imo.
20170508_185634.jpg
these were in my pocket and didn't make the group picture.
Attachments
20170508_190855.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

americanjack wrote:Thanks everyone ! I didn't expect to get all this information from everbody about Jack Knives. I have to save up for my next knife. I don't know which to buy, but I be looking at all the information that was sent.

Thanks Again
Get what you like. As a couple of guys stated, you don't have to spend a lot of money to scratch the itch. Yeah, it's nice to have some Great Easterns and some Schatt & Morgans (I wouldn't know about the customs. Can't afford 'em) but you will get just as much enjoyment from a Camillus, Imperial or an old Colonial that's in decent condition. I'm not trying to impress anyone except me. I don't really give a flip what others think of my accumulation as long as I like 'em.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
americanjack wrote:Thanks everyone ! I didn't expect to get all this information from everbody about Jack Knives. I have to save up for my next knife. I don't know which to buy, but I be looking at all the information that was sent.

Thanks Again
Get what you like. As a couple of guys stated, you don't have to spend a lot of money to scratch the itch. Yeah, it's nice to have some Great Easterns and some Schatt & Morgans (I wouldn't know about the customs. Can't afford 'em) but you will get just as much enjoyment from a Camillus, Imperial or an old Colonial that's in decent condition. I'm not trying to impress anyone except me. I don't really give a flip what others think of my accumulation as long as I like 'em.
I agree. Especially that last line. ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

bighomer wrote:I didn't include any barlows and electrician (TL-29) although they fit the criteria imo.
::disgust::
26573623124_6054969554_b.jpg
26987708646_6620a2460c_b.jpg
::smirk::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

bighomer wrote:Here's a few of mine, they run the gauntlet of size, type and quality. You can pick them up on the cheap if you are like me "TIGHTWAD" the most expensive knife jere cost $26.91, I didn't include any barlows and electrician (TL-29) although they fit the criteria imo.20170508_185634.jpgthese were in my pocket and didn't make the group picture.
I see a western folding hunter in that pile! And a Queen too. Nice pile of jack knkves.
Robert E. Lee
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

If you want a cool Jack knife, this is it...

_______
Mike
Attachments
6292 1965-69 (Mine).jpg
6292X4 (Mine).jpg
6292X6 (Mine).jpg
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Howdy American Jack, I'll say welcome to AAPK, also! You must have hit the right button talkin' about jack knives! What a bunch of fine knives have popped up. ::tu::
I think sometimes folks call any pocket knife a "jack knife" and that's okay with me. Readin' this got me to thinking about my favorite pattern, the trapper and I never refer to them as jack knives, even thought they fit the 2 blades on the same end description. ::shrug::
I wish you well in your pursuit of jack knives! ::handshake::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Jack knives are just the best for EDC. Case makes a variety of them to give you a great collection.

Not to heavy in the pocket, but it is there enough to let you know it did not fall out

Pretty construction

Just the right size blade to do most jobs ( unless you really have to trim something small or
cut something large and heavy)

If you get it in stag, that is another plus!

My most recent purchase: Case Medium Texas Jack

Bob
Attachments
case.5232.3.JPG
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

rea1eye wrote:Jack knives are just the best for EDC. Case makes a variety of them to give you a great collection.

Not to heavy in the pocket, but it is there enough to let you know it did not fall out

Pretty construction

Just the right size blade to do most jobs ( unless you really have to trim something small or
cut something large and heavy)

If you get it in stag, that is another plus!

My most recent purchase: Case Medium Texas Jack

Bob
Wow Bob I like that one. How about a few more photos from the other side open?

_________
Mike
"If there are no Dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went". Will Rogers

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
steve99f

Post by steve99f »

I like the unequal end jacks and copperheads just because:
Attachments
31 frame group picture.JPG
Case 6249 9, 8,2 dot and 8 dot at the bottom.JPG
steve99f

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”