KISSING CRANE unknown date someone please help

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Wjl

KISSING CRANE unknown date someone please help

Post by Wjl »

Mother of pearl handle blade says r kraas and has the kissing crane on one and just the cranes on the other has no shield 2 1/4 long close can't find anything about this knife got it from my papaw and he said he bought it over 40 years ago at a knife auction and it was old when he bought it anything will help

Pictures are not very clear knife is very clean cranes on blades are not matching any in the last picture they have no feather detail
Attachments
6AF10989-2C6C-4ECE-9AE8-8A1AB70BCD7B.jpg
IMG_2291.JPG
IMG_2292.JPG
200F5D4A-7B93-4A1F-8BFD-A215C3EE4E90.jpg
IMG_2298.JPG
kootenay joe

Re: KISSING CRANE unknown date someone please help

Post by kootenay joe »

With Kissing Crane all that can be said is 'vintage'. Most of the K.C. we see are recent examples made in 1980's or newer.
Yours is from before WW II but how much before i don't think can be known.
kj
Wjl

Post by Wjl »

Do you think it was before 1900? With no detail on the cranes it makes me wonder
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

The 2 STORKS (called Cranes in USA) was registered as a trademark in 1893.
Where are you getting info about no detail = pre 1900 knife ? The only change i know of is Storks bills touching after 1937, before that, space between the bills.
Also this is a common pattern small pen knife, the type that was a standard pocket knife from mid-late 1800's right up to ~ WW II, so one cannot date by looking for pattern in catalogs(if there are any for K.C.; i have not seen one).
Early on in my collecting daze trying to find the date of manufacture was important to me. Still is, but less so, as now in a situation like this, i am happy to just know it is 'old', true vintage, possibly over 100 yrs.
kj

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”