Cattle knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
FRJ

Re: Cattle knife

Post by FRJ »

My understanding is that a Cattle knife and a Stock knife need to have a spey blade.
Joe
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

RalphAlsip wrote:The 2 blade variations are the ones where I don't know if I'm referring to them correctly. For example, I would identify the 2 blade variations pictured below with a blade on each end as cattle knives. I would identify the 2 blade variation pictured below with both blades on the same end as a Jack knife. The one I'm calling a Jack knife is also known as a Cigar knife.

My sense is that "all of the above" are correct :) .
I agree with you, except that I would call your knives "STUNNING." Thanks for showing them; The middle one with the clip blade is just off the charts and the others would be also, if I could just go out to the mailbox and get a good luck at them. ::drool::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

FRJ wrote:My understanding is that a Cattle knife and a Stock knife need to have a spey blade.
I disagree.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

RalphAlsip wrote:The 2 blade variations are the ones where I don't know if I'm referring to them correctly. For example, I would identify the 2 blade variations pictured below with a blade on each end as cattle knives. I would identify the 2 blade variation pictured below with both blades on the same end as a Jack knife. The one I'm calling a Jack knife is also known as a Cigar knife.

My sense is that "all of the above" are correct :) .
Now you guys are confusing me.

The first pic of the 2 bladed knife with one blade blade on other end is...

1. If less than 3.5 inches, it is a pen knife.
2. At 3.5 inches or more it is a double ended Jack.

Whether or not it is a double ended Jack Cattle knife I don't know. But it is in fact or maybe opinion a double ended jack. What I have read and been taught.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

tongueriver wrote:
FRJ wrote:My understanding is that a Cattle knife and a Stock knife need to have a spey blade.
I disagree.
The basis for acknowledging a Cattle knife must rely on more than the frame style.
What blades must they hold to be thought of as Cattle knives?

Would you call this knife a Cattle knife? It is 3 3/8"
Attachments
DSCN5990.JPG
DSCN5993.JPG
Joe
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

::shrug:: dang I'm cornfused sumpin fearse ::dang::
Attachments
20170412_153958.jpg
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

I'm not trying to argue - just trying to explain why I'm confused. Two of the knives I posted earlier are Case 45 patters (06245 and 06245 1/2). I have seen several publications refer to the Case 45 pattern as a "Cattle" knife regardless of the blade configuration. ::shrug::
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

RalphAlsip wrote:I'm not trying to argue - just trying to explain why I'm confused. Two of the knives I posted earlier are Case 45 patters (06245 and 06245 1/2). I have seen several publications refer to the Case 45 pattern as a "Cattle" knife regardless of the blade configuration. ::shrug::
Your statement goes back to my original question. I bought this Marbles "Cattle Knife" that looks like a equal end jack to me. I guess if you're a knife maker you can call them whatever you want. :?
Cattle.jpg
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

ken98k wrote:
RalphAlsip wrote:I'm not trying to argue - just trying to explain why I'm confused. Two of the knives I posted earlier are Case 45 patters (06245 and 06245 1/2). I have seen several publications refer to the Case 45 pattern as a "Cattle" knife regardless of the blade configuration. ::shrug::
Your statement goes back to my original question. I bought this Marbles "Cattle Knife" that looks like a equal end jack to me. I guess if you're a knife maker you can call them whatever you want. :?
Cattle.jpg
And therein lies the source of much of the confusion. FWIW, here's what Levine's Guide to Knives has to say about cattle knives. The text is followed by three pages of pictures of cattle knives by numerous makers - three blade, four blade, junior size, fancy, and three spring examples are pictured. Aside from the rounded equal-end shape the predominant feature is the existence of a spey blade on about 90% of them. None have fewer than three blades.

Ken
Attachments
Levine's Guide to Knives, 5th edition
Levine's Guide to Knives, 5th edition
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

Mumbleypeg wrote:
ken98k wrote:
Cattle.jpg
And therein lies the source of much of the confusion. FWIW, here's what Levine's Guide to Knives has to say about cattle knives. The text is followed by three pages of pictures of cattle knives by numerous makers - three blade, four blade, junior size, fancy, and three spring examples are pictured. Aside from the rounded equal-end shape the predominant feature is the existence of a spey blade on about 90% of them. None have fewer than three blades.

Ken
Thanks Ken. Very informative.

Texas Jerry, no offense intended my friend. Just was getting confusing more than informational. My apologies for my delivery.

A double ended jack can be built on different frames, but what distinguishes it from a pen knife(which commonly have a blade hinging from both ends of course) is the length, over 3 1/2 inches.

As the two Kens stated, a knife company calls knives all sorts of things and adds to the confusion.

Jerry
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Just had an aha moment and remembered I have one I know for sure is a cattle knife. It says so on the handle. :mrgreen: On that note, I think I'll just quietly back out and leave this thread to those who know what they're talking about and like 'em.
Attachments
Winchester 3009 Cattle Knife - Open Mark.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

And I thought, of the 3 blades, one had to be an awl....
Attachments
IMG_1517.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

FRJ wrote:
tongueriver wrote:
I disagree.
The basis for acknowledging a Cattle knife must rely on more than the frame style.
What blades must they hold to be thought of as Cattle knives?

Would you call this knife a Cattle knife? It is 3 3/8"
Joe, I'd call that a gorgeous example of a Junior Cattle Knife. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

Ken thanks for showing that excerpt from levine's.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

In my mind, a stockman is usually a 3 bladed with a serpentine frame. There are exceptions, think Case 6275 and 6475, same frame different blades. The cattleman then is an equal end (cigar) with clip or spear with the usual spay, sheep foot with possibly a punch. ::shrug::
Should I change my idea?
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

TripleF wrote:And I thought, of the 3 blades, one had to be an awl....
Actually Scott, you are confusing that with the Texas expression "y'awl" (singular) and "all y'awl" (plural). This has nothing to do specifically with "LOL," but there does seem to be a link. ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

tongueriver wrote:Actually Scott, you are confusing that with the Texas expression "y'awl" (singular) and "all y'awl" (plural). This has nothing to do specifically with "LOL," but there does seem to be a link. ( :lol: :lol: :lol: ).
And in oklahoma we say that too, but spell it y'all. I don't know what's wrong with them texans, spelling y'all like y'awl and adding to this cattle knife confusion :lol:
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”