Rogers Bone

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Rogers Bone

Post by Colonel26 »

An I play too? Here's a Glennbad rehandle and a couple of Rogers bone to boot.
IMG_0110.JPG
IMG_0111.JPG
IMG_0112.JPG
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

Wade Glennbad does it good! Idon't ever get tired of looking at that Rogers bone on those first gens! ::tu:: ::tu::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

gsmith7158 wrote: Idon't ever get tired of looking at that Rogers bone on those first gens! ::tu:: ::tu::
The ones that came after look just as good. (to me) I really don't see any difference.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
gsmith7158
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by gsmith7158 »

jerryd6818 wrote:
gsmith7158 wrote: Idon't ever get tired of looking at that Rogers bone on those first gens! ::tu:: ::tu::
The ones that came after look just as good. (to me) I really don't see any difference.
Well I guess you would say that sitting on a 15 pound sack of em. ::poke::
------------------

Greg

IF YOU AIN'T BUYING OR LOOKING AT A KNIFE THEN YOU AIN'T LIVING.
Always looking to buy good quality Empire knives.

PROUD MEMBER AAPK, NRA.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I wish I was sitting on a pile of them. Greg, I only have four. I had six but I gave a 1st Gen to Philip (Treefarmer) and another was stolen out of my mailbox. Then I have the three in black bone that were made in the '90s but they don't really count.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

I have followed this thread with some interest because I have never felt that I truly understood the definition of Rogers Bone and I keep hoping for enlightenment. (Yes, I have read the earlier thread) There have been a lot of informative comments and photos here, but I am afraid that I remain unenlightened. I am getting the feeling that it is impossible to say what Rogers Bone is because Rogers Bone is a random pattern that cannot be defined because it is random. It seems undeniable that it exists, yet even experts seem to have some difficulty in asserting its physical manifestation in many if not most instances. I am feeling a bit like I felt when I read obtuse philosophers back in college - puzzled, but still hopeful that I will eventually understand.
Mel
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

Dinadan, I'm fairly new to AAPK (8 months) and to the in dept world of knive knowledge that is required to make a good collector. And although I don't see myself as ever becoming a full blown collector, I'm still here so ya never know. I try not to stress over what may be so, my plan is to have fun and enjoy the ride with a great group of guys and maybe pick up bits and pieces along the way. :D

The information and links shared on this thread by Dale, Dimitri, Ken's link to "The Rogers Bone Thread" and other members' comments has helped me to understand that Rogers bone can come in a wide variety of shades, from dark brown with some small lighter areas to bright yellows with brown jigged spots like Jerry's most advertised 1st gen. 72 beauty. ::super_happy::

I learned that some of these shades lighten from wear or - as with Jerry's 72 - the amount of buffing a particular factory decidedly goes with on one particular knife model and for a certain time only too - a year more or less. I'm blown away by learning this small part on Rogers bone, and about the 1st gen. 72. ::ds:: I can also at times distinguish Rogers bone from another bone when other members are asking for comfirmation and feel like "I got this!" ::ds:: BUT, it's short-lived or only in some circumstances.

What's my point? ::shrug:: :lol: Apparently there were two Rogers bone jigging machines made for random patterns so, maybe it's not so random after all. Not only does Rogers bone have a unique look but it also feels unlike other jigged bone handles. Don't forget to enjoy the ride!
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Thanks, Felix. The common pocket knife seems such a simple, everyday tool. What can there be to figure out and understand about such a simple thing? Then, after a bit of study, it is not so simple.
Mel
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Dinadan wrote:Thanks, Felix. The common pocket knife seems such a simple, everyday tool. What can there be to figure out and understand about such a simple thing? Then, after a bit of study, it is not so simple.
And that's what make this hobby so dog gone fun. ::tu::
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
SolWarrior

Post by SolWarrior »

philco wrote:
Dinadan wrote:Thanks, Felix. The common pocket knife seems such a simple, everyday tool. What can there be to figure out and understand about such a simple thing? Then, after a bit of study, it is not so simple.
And that's what make this hobby so dog gone fun. ::tu::
And addictive too! ::tu:: You're welcome, Mel! ::handshake::
espn77

Post by espn77 »

orvet wrote:I took the liberty of copying Dimitri's pictures from the old thread to this new one.

3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
Rogers%20Jigged%20Bone%20Slabs.jpg
Rogers%20Jigged%20Bone%20Slabs2.jpg
Dimitri, I don't know where or from whom you got your slabs from but somebody on eBay was selling some again. I picked a set up for display only. I am under the impression they are for the Remington switchblade knife?
Attachments
IMG_20170414_202125.jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”