Tang Stamps Charts

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Shearer
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Tang Stamps Charts

Post by Shearer »

I would like to thank everyone up to now for posting tang stamps.This is one of my ideas I think did work.
Going back six or more years I had some knives I could not find information on some tang stamps.I spent hours searching.
I though with all the members we had on AAPK with a wide amount of knowledge we could work together to make this happen.
I would like to thank you .

Grant
Politicians should be like a good pocket knife ." Sharp and useful "
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Goins is also a great resource. I seen it on EBay for the absurd price of 200 dollars. I found a copy online for 30 bucks.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 11:57 pm Goins is also a great resource. I seen it on EBay for the absurd price of 200 dollars. I found a copy online for 30 bucks.
You can buy a brand new copy of Goins’ Encyclopedia from Knife Magazine for $27.95 plus shipping. https://www.knifemagazine.com/product-category/books/

Or if you have a subscription you can access a copy on-line from the Knife Magazine web site. Www.knifemagazine.com

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thats where I found mine. -Oscar
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
67cuda

Post by 67cuda »

Does anyone have a kinsfolk stamp guide chart ? I’m curious about a 96 kinsfolk USA fixed blade.
WillyCamaro

Post by WillyCamaro »

Thank you for the link Ken, added to my library of reads ::handshake:: .
Willy :D
"Never, never, never give up."
Winston Churchill

Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.
Matthew 6:34
cdantiks

Post by cdantiks »

Though I would post something that I found and cant be sure if it was on AAPK befor or not.
Eye brand stamps
Eye brand stamps
006.JPG (23.97 KiB) Viewed 10090 times
KitCarsonGreen
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Hadn’t seen this one before. Thanks for posting it !
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Thanks for the Schlieper and Eye Brand tang stamps. I’ve seen that before but don’t recall where.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Didn't see this old IMPERIAL stamp on any of the posts. Pretty early one I believe. (Sorry for the rough drawing.) J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2204.jpg
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Picked this little guy up today. Another Imperial (IKCO) stamp not shown in this thread. Have a feeling its an early one. J.O'.
Attachments
IMG_2914.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Wabash Cutlery tang stamps. Terre Haute IN. 1921-1935.
These are from knives that I own. There may be more.
I'm no artist as you can plainly see.
Attachments
20210629_153211.jpg
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Hello everyone, I am in need of help. I have looked everywhere on the internet, and can not find a chart that covers the tang stamps and the numbering system of Winchester pocket knives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SteveD12

Post by SteveD12 »

Spencer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 6:02 am Hello everyone, I am in need of help. I have looked everywhere on the internet, and can not find a chart that covers the tang stamps and the numbering system of Winchester pocket knives. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a small piece of what Goins Encyclopedia says for Winchester:

Of the old Winchester knives, there are two grades. The first was marked [WINCHESTER TRADEMARK MADE IN USA] on all blades, and was very well built... After Western Cartridge purchased the firm in 1931, the high quality continued on the knives marked on all blades. It was after 1931 that the second type of Winchester knife was introduced. This knife is marked on the master blade only. It is not of the same high quality as the other knives.There are many FAKE Winchester knives on the market. They are marked exactly like the originals, and even an expert has difficulty distinguishing them from the originals, so beware!
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Thank you very much, the knife is not in perfect condition and is only stamped on two of the three blades. The stamp could have been bad and was subsequently warn off, by the looks of the knife it does not show ant sign of being repaired.
Snufftherooster75

Post by Snufftherooster75 »

Hello does anyone have any info on this little knife? Thanks
Attachments
4C74B5B4-AFD4-4EE1-8BAA-8DD2F2E820F5.jpeg
B66710CF-EA0F-4C9B-867A-8E342D6BFE79.jpeg
BWT

Post by BWT »

Wish I could help you. If you repost this but start a new topic question. This is under the tang stamp thread and might not be seen so much. Welcome to AAPK ::handshake:: Nice looking knife though ::tu::
Bill
Snufftherooster75

Post by Snufftherooster75 »

Okay will do and I am glad to be part of this forum, lots of great info and members!
Retiredtools1

Post by Retiredtools1 »

Pal USA was using Remington and Pal parts to build their knives according to one of the tang stamp photos
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Does anyone have any graphics and'or dates on UTICA tang Stamps. I have some knives with U.K.& R (originally manufactured 1910), half moon UTICA, straight line UTICA and KUTMASTER. The company changed names to UTICA CUTLERY CO.in 1929, and I know KUTMASTER began in 1937 but don't know dates for the actual stampings. Thanks
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm Does anyone have any graphics and'or dates on UTICA tang Stamps. I have some knives with U.K.& R (originally manufactured 1910), half moon UTICA, straight line UTICA and KUTMASTER. The company changed names to UTICA CUTLERY CO.in 1929, and I know KUTMASTER began in 1937 but don't know dates for the actual stampings. Thanks
Good luck
David
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Doesn't look good ? J.O'.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:17 pm Doesn't look good ? J.O'.
I hope it will,but I haven't had much luck narrowing down dates. Then again I'm no expert.
David
JasonCat
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by JasonCat »

Ridgegrass wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:53 pm Does anyone have any graphics and'or dates on UTICA tang Stamps. I have some knives with U.K.& R (originally manufactured 1910), half moon UTICA, straight line UTICA and KUTMASTER. The company changed names to UTICA CUTLERY CO.in 1929, and I know KUTMASTER began in 1937 but don't know dates for the actual stampings. Thanks
U.K.&R. or Utica Knife and Razor is not the same as Utica Cutlery. U.K.&R. was an importer of mostly german made pocket knives/razors, although Utica Cutlery may have made some knives for them under contract. Utica Cutlery Company (incorporated in 1910) used the "arched" or "half moon" stamp from 1910, probably until the very start of WW2. The arched stamp went through some different variations during that time. The straight line Uticas began showing up around WW2 I suspect and I believe that stamp was relatively short lived. As you stated Kutmaster was registered as a trademark by Utica Cutlery in 1937 and again the Kutmaster stamp took on some different variations. Utica Cutlery has maintained the same name from 1910 to present day. I hope to have a rough tang stamp chart in the works for Utica Cutlery/Kutmaster in the near future🙂
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

JC: Thanks. The reference I cited was Houston Price 10th Edition. In it he says UK&R "changed it's name" to Utica Cutlery around 1929, implying they were the same companies. Levine says UK&R was c.1924-1935 and the owners then opened PAL in 1935. He also dates Utica Cutlery Co. from 1910. The two seem to be in direct contradiction. I always thought UK&R was the older version. I have a few UK&R's and they have no foreign markings, just "Utica, N.Y."
Do you say they were never the same company? Has anyone ever done a full history on Utica? Interesting , Thanks again. J.O'. ::handshake::
Attachments
IMG_3888.jpg
IMG_3890.jpg
IMG_3891.jpg

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”