Need help identifying "Ixl George Wostenholm Sheffield"

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
mommyofthree

Need help identifying "Ixl George Wostenholm Sheffield"

Post by mommyofthree »

I'm trying to id & date a 2 blade pocketknife. On the small blade it's stamped "Ixl George Wostenholm Sheffield", and on the bigger blade it's stamped XL. Any ideas?
Attachments
IMG_8047.JPG
IMG_8048.JPG
IMG_8049.JPG
dcgm4

Re: Need help identifying "Ixl George Wostenholm Sheffield"

Post by dcgm4 »

That particular stamp was used from 1890 to 1971. It's hard to pin down exactly when in that time frame your knife was made, but I would guess sometime in the first half of the 20th century. Maybe someone who is more familiar with English knives will chime in.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

that is a good looking old knife you have i my self dont know anything about it but maybe someone will come along and help identify it for you
chetr1200c

Post by chetr1200c »

i am also of the same help as the previous posters. it is very hard to pinpoint a 10 or even a 30 year proximity for wostenholms. they didn't change their tang stamping all that much in the century and a half that they have been in business.
your knife has been well used therefore very much appreciated. if it is a family hierloom, then that is much more valueable than any monetary amount.....
sorry to say, but the well used condition it is in, will not attract much money anyways.

btw,, welcome to the club, stop by at any time for some coffee and cakes.
knives-are-quiet

Post by knives-are-quiet »

Maybe this will help you get a round about date...

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/sho ... m-markings.

JW
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi and ::welcome:: to the site. Based on the stamp (layout and font) and the large rounded tang on the little pen blade, I estimate that your knife dates to the very late 1800s or early 1900s. :) s-k
Rust Never Sleeps
ricknra

Post by ricknra »

i just picked one up at the junk shop for 10 bucks its got the same marks and instead of wood it has stag antler, frim what i have read it started out wostenholm and son and stayed that until 1826 then changed to just george wostenholm schefield mine says celebrated also under wostenholm

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”