Imperial Razor

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
KYSharon

Imperial Razor

Post by KYSharon »

I am trying to establish a date and value of a straight razor that belonged to my grandfather. The blade reads "Army and Navy", registered. On the left is a soldier, on a horse, holding a sword. On the right is a soldier holding a flag. Between the handle and the blade reads "Imperial Razor", warrantied, registered 20507, Germany. I have discovered Imperial Razor was a trademark used by A. Kastor & Bro, ca 1886-1945. Adolph Kastor started his business in October 1876 and imported and distributed German knives until 1897 when the Dingley Tariff was enacted to promote domestic manufacturing. I belive the straight razor was manufactured before 1902. Adoph Kastor changed the company name to Camillus Cultery Co in 1902 and Kastor was dropped completely in 1947. My grandfater was born in 1893, but I think this was passed down from a family member. Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Registered.jpg
Registered.jpg (33.56 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Blade.jpg
Blade.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 2670 times
Bryan
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Bryan »

Hello,

I found the following in Bernard Levine's Guide to Knives and Their Values...

Imperial Razor was based in New York NY from 1880s to 1890's as a wholesale import company. The company imported from Germany. Levine grades the brand at mid range on his value spectrum.

I'm by no means a razor guy, and would not want to speculate about the absolute value. Someone else would probably be able to tell you more about it than I.

Bryan

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”