Case's Corelon handles

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Jingler

Case's Corelon handles

Post by Jingler »

Hello everybody; Can anyone tell me what Corelon is? I've been looking around on the web at Case's half whittlers, and I ran across a few whose handles are made of Corelon...what ever that is. I would appreciate any knowledgeable response. Thanks :?
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Case's Corelon handles

Post by philco »

Corelon is an acrylic compound that creates a stable substance not prone to chemical decomposition (hopefully-time will tell) like celluloid is notorious for. I am not sure Case does any corelon handles in house. The ones I am aware of are done under license from Case by a third party.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Jingler

Post by Jingler »

Thanks Philco;
I was wondering if it was probably just another fancy word for cellloid /plastic. I might try one and use it for a while.
rmfnla

Post by rmfnla »

I think the material was developed for kitchen counter tops as an upgrade to Formica.

You can tell the aftermarket conversions because they do not have any pins showing; the handles are only glued into place.

There's a seller on ebay that has them with "Corelon" blade etching that makes the knife appear factory-original but they are still aftermarket.

They would probably make a decent user.
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
Jingler

Post by Jingler »

Hello rmfnla; Really? a formica substittute - I didn't know that. Also, thanks for bringing my attention to the pin details. That would pretty much cancel the deal for me. No pins, no sale. With so many things comming unglued these days, I don't think any one of us want that of our trusted friends, especially the ones that are in our pockets.
rmfnla

Post by rmfnla »

Yeah, DuPont sells it as Corian; they probably invented the stuff.

I wouldn't let the "no pins" thing stop you from buying one. Today's adhesives are pretty good and in truth using pins these days is more an aesthetic touch than a structural requirement.

The important thing is to know that this is an aftermarket regripping, not a factory offering, so you do not pay too much.
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
testcase

Post by testcase »

I have had a few of the Corelon Cases over the years and have had no complaints. These two have seen a couple years service ....

The first ones were rehandled, by who I am not sure, but I believe Hukk said it may have been Mike Prater, who does good work. The two I have pictured carry a 3207 and 3254 tang stamp, Case has since given them a new desigination, for example the 9207 listed here on SMKW site, suggesting a factory build...? I am not sure of when they changed over.

http://www.smkw.com/webapp/eCommerce/pr ... U=CA9254WP

A note on adhesives, I was taking a tour of the Fruehauf trailer factory about 12 years ago and they were explaining their new construction methods, the engineer told me, "we only put rivits in them now because people want to see rivits, the adhesives are stronger". To mprove his point he made several demonstrations showing the power of the newer technologies in structural adhesives. I was amazed...

Also Hen and Rooster (theirs are pinned by the way) and I suspect many others use it, or use it under a different name. Don't let the no pin thing worry you, and the material is not suspose to gas out. One othercool thing, there are some neat variations, and some that don't fit my tastes as well, but each knife is unique.
Attachments
case corelon20001.jpg
Tod
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Tod,
If Case had designated the handle material with the prefix numeral "9" are they now installing the Corelon handles in their shop or are they outsourcing the handle installation?

BTW Frost owns Hen & Rooster do they not?

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
testcase

Post by testcase »

philco wrote:Tod,
If Case had designated the handle material with the prefix numeral "9" are they now installing the Corelon handles in their shop or are they outsourcing the handle installation?

BTW Frost owns Hen & Rooster do they not?

Phil
Phil,
I am not positive, but the ones I have were all "3" or yellow delrin stamped which makes sense to rehandle the least expensive knives in the line.

Someone told me that case had changed them to "9" and sure enough on the SMKW site they are carrying the "9" etch. "9" used to designate imitation pearl. Case changing the designation suggest involvement but who knows for sure whether or not they are doing it in house. SFO for Smokey?

Fighting Rooster is Frost, made at Bertram in Germany.
Tod
SOFileworks

Post by SOFileworks »

Hey guys, I know this is an old post, but thought perhaps I could fill in some misconceptions about Case Corelon handles. Mike Prater does do all of the Corelon material and Case makes runs of either 500 or 250 of each type per knife pattern. These are premier line knives with blade etching and or scrolled bolsters and are actually more sought after than many of the bone handled options.

Hen and Rooster also uses Corelon for blade handle material made by Mike Prater per agreement with Jim Frost the owner of Hen and Rooster...as far as I know, he has no affiliation with Fighting Rooster at all.

Hope this helps!

SOFileworks
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

rmfnla wrote:Yeah, DuPont sells it as Corian; they probably invented the stuff.

I wouldn't let the "no pins" thing stop you from buying one. Today's adhesives are pretty good and in truth using pins these days is more an aesthetic touch than a structural requirement.
Corian countertops are almost indestructible.We had one installed in our kitchen nearly 15 years ago and I regularly use part of it(much to my wife's chagrin)as a surface to watersand various items I'm making.Aside from a tendency to stain a bit(it is white and doesn't like spaghetti sauce)which is easily removed by using an abrasive designed for glass range tops,it looks pretty much as it did when we first had it installed.I also use it as a cutting board.

What was amazing is the guy who made it and installed it took all the measurements in the kitchen;constructed it in his shop out of about 15 separate pieces;sanded it all down and brought it to the house(had a heck of a time getting it through the doorway)and with some assistance from me installed it.The counter is about 18 inches wide and goes along one wall of the kitchen about 15 ft(there is a cutout in the middle for the sink)and halfway down another wall about 6 ft.Even though it is made of many pieces;it looks like one piece.I dropped heavby pans on it(hit the glass stove top once and it exploded)several times and it shows no signs of damage.Probably has a half life of about a thousand years. :mrgreen:
I can definitely see it as a handle material
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
killbucket

Post by killbucket »

Hello everyone, I'm Killbucket. I'm retired, and I make stuff. I've recently gotten into Knife Crafting, and was looking for info on the Case Knives when I found this Lazarus-like post.

Very. This stuff is immortal, you have to really try, to kill it. I have similar countertops (We cheaped out and got Samsung's similar material, I forget the name.), and snagged some scraps when they were installed 11 years ago. It looks like white granite, and again, has literally not changed since installed, despite all sorts of fabricator's abuse (I make minigun dummies to sell to amateur movie makers).

I'm planning to make handles for one of my automatics out of it soon, and pinning the handles on doesn't have me worried much- it would take a heavy hammer to even leave a dent in the stuff.

Gluing handles is great, but the recent Rebel Edge "Skull Series" stilettoes with double-stick tape holding the handle scales on is utterly unforgivable.
junebug

Post by junebug »

LIL BIT OF case corelon action 8) 8) 8)
Attachments
knife pix 020.JPG
knife pix 021.JPG
"Because tellin' people , i like having a SPYDIEHOLE sounds sooo much better than a THUMBHOLE"
- Junebug 2016
Elvis

Post by Elvis »

I've worked on and rehandled many knives and several of them have been Case knives done by Michael Prater. Those handles are nearly impossible to take off without applying heat. A LOT more heat than it would ever see in someone's pocket. The Corelon is poured in place right onto the knife the same way Case does their Delrin handles with the exception of some very strong adhesive applied underneath (no glue on the Case Delrin....just pins). In short, the Corelon is one handle material (without pins) that I wouldn't ever worry about them coming loose or falling off. Just my 2 cents.
killbucket

Post by killbucket »

Coloring on that knife reminds me of the liquid crystal fidget discs from the 70's. Whoa. I must learn this technique. ::hmm::

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”