Help with Horsemans Knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
nifenut

Help with Horsemans Knife

Post by nifenut »

I'm new at this forum and posting, so have mercy.

I have read what many of you have written and realize there is some serious knife knowledge out there. So, I'm thinking maybe someone can tell me a lot more than I know about this knife (If the picture appears at all and isn't so large that it knocks you out of your chairs, maybe you can tell something about it. I tried to cut it down in size. The camera came over on the Mayflower, I believe. I need better resolution than 1.3 megapixels).

Anyway, I believe this is a farriers knife made in England because the closest picture I can find like it is in Levine's 4th edition, p. 313, bottom left. He references Smith's Key, 1816, whatever that is. A reference, I assume.

The scales appear to be horn or tortoise. The blades are tarnished but not pitted. The master blade is a little lazy but still good. Obviously. it's been sharpened but not by me. I did polish it. The corkscrew is neat. It fold down on itself and seats in the knife below the hoofpick. As you may be able to see, it has a "toothpick", tweezers, and a fleam which is stored in the handle and "fans" open.

I can find no markings on the tangs, only a shield with very worn lettering. I think the word or words (maybe a name) starts with a Script "D". That's just a guess. It's very faint.

I am curious to know the maker and an estmate of value. (I don't plan to sell it; just pass it on to my son one day). Any information you care to offer will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jimbo
Attachments
Horseman Knife.JPG
Horseman Knife.JPG (58.03 KiB) Viewed 3414 times
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Horsemans

Post by Mossdancer »

Hey Jimbo;
Check Levines guide IV, starts on page 264 horsemans knife, a few pages of good reading. Values of knives like this as with nearly all undocumented knives are really a crapshoot. If you could find a farrier who collected this pattern, who knows it could be worth book value or more. Dont do anything to remove any metal whatever you do. Clean gently and research research research. You might try getting the pictures that Bernard Levine likes,
send them in and have him appraise. I believe a knife like this would best be marketed in knife world, if you dont subscribe look it up on the net. Knife world. com. It is really a reasonable price and you get a couple of free issues. Or you might take it to a large cutlery show. El Lobo will more than likely chime in soon, he is knowledgable on just about everything with a blade. If you can get more photos great. Tang shots, individual blades etc. Nice looking knife, Good luck, let us know what you find out.
W.B.
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi Jimbo, nice one ::tu:: Two remarkable features are the shape of the handle and the folding corkscrew. These differ from most typical late 1800s horsemans/farriers knives. I have seen two ads including knives with that shape and one with that corkscrew design and they were both Unwin Rodgers Sheffield. One was in an ad from the 1850s. However the shields on those were more oval. IMO the scales are more likely to be horn (or wood) than tortoise scales given the type of knife. Tortise was much more expensive and delicate. Generally, used for little pen knives, gentlemens/ladies grooming knives etc. This is a manly working knife. That's all I have but I'll see what else I can find. :) s-k
nifenut

RE: Help with Horseman Knife

Post by nifenut »

Thanks Mossdancer!
What is "1giv"?
I do receive Knife World.
I may try to get better pics and post them; maybe send to Bernard Levine. I'll carry it to a few local knife Shows. I met one fellow at a show who had a few and he guessed $300-350.
Thanks much,
Jim
nifenut

RE: Help with Horsemans Knife

Post by nifenut »

S-M,
I believe you are right about it being horn. I appreciate the info about "Unwin Rodgers Sheffield". ::tu::
One more mini-lesson, please.......What is "IMO"?
Is it "I"m of the opinion"?
You have given me more to research. :lol:

Thanks S-M!
Jim
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Yes... In My Opinion. Not saying it is Unwin Rodgers, just that is the only one I have seen that is very similar. Looking forward to seeing the results of your research. :) s-k
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

Man,

I could swear I've seen this knife somewhere before, but my searching brought no joy. ::tired::

Here is what I can add to the discussion for now.....

It is a Horseman's/Sportsman's knife. It is very similar to the example on pg. 313 of Levine's 4th. Most probably cow horn.

It isn't a Farrier's knife...see the bottom right of pg.496 of Levine's #4 for an example...used specifically for trimming/cleaning around the hoof area.

The fleam blade is the "pennant" shaped blade that folds directly into the handle. The smaller blade that 'fans' open is...well, I don't remember :oops: ...but that is what makes me think I've seen this knife somewhere before. Maybe a lancet for human flesh??

Here is a link to a somewhat similar style knife from KnifeWorld...it is a good read, as the way too kind Mossdancer mentioned...

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/ ... 94_3144169

Note the fleam at the top right...and a similar, smaller, "fan" style blade to the left edge of the picture. (Dang it...I wish i could remember where I saw/read about your example Jimbo. :x :oops: ).

I'll keep looking.

Bill
nifenut

RE; Help with Horseman's Knife

Post by nifenut »

Thanks El Lobo. You guys have been a great help & given me a lot to research. I really appreciate it!!

Jim
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Just noticed your new avatar El Lobo. Very appropriate ::tu:: I think the fan thing is a lancet. Not sure for human flesh...ouch! Looking forward to seeing more on this knife if you find something. :) s-k
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

AH HA.....

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showt ... rtsman%27s

Ok, it's not the same knife (second one), but I remembered the little tortoiseshell "fan" blade as something quite interesting. In post #6 of the thread, Bernard identifies it as a thumb lancet...ouch!! :shock: Ok, J/K...Bernard's last post says it's held in the thumb, not used to cut your thumb. :D

Maybe there is some connection with the knives in the pictures and yours...or, maybe not. ::doh:: But it is interesting reading, IMO. ( :mrgreen: )

Bernard might be able to help you Jimbo. You could always telephone or email him.

http://pweb.netcom.com/~brlevine/links.htm#email

Nice knife and good luck with it. Let us know if you find more.

Bill
nifenut

Post by nifenut »

Thanks again Bill. I forgot about it being called a thumb lancet. I'll check out the link you sent.
Jim

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”