Purpose of this knife

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
kootenay joe

Purpose of this knife

Post by kootenay joe »

This knife has an overall length of 6 1/2". It is rather crudely made as is the sheath. There are 2 sharpened notches on each side of blade spine and 3 'dots' stamped into blade flat, both sides. The pommel has 3 brass 'studs' projecting.
This is either a tourist 'trinket' knife or a low end user knife for a specific use. If tourist it could be a scaled down version of a knife that is used by the local people.
Which ever it is, i do not recognize this knife design. Do you ? Where is it from and what would be it's intended use ?
Cutting off end of garlic clove and using 'projections' to pound clove and thus loosen/remove outer skin ? A long shot but all i can think of.
thank you for sharing your expertize.
kj
Attachments
IMGP8751.JPG
IMGP8752.JPG
IMGP8753.JPG
IMGP8754.JPG
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Purpose of this knife

Post by btrwtr »

Interesting knife and your guesses sound good to me KJ. If utilitarian rather than tourist item I would guess a sewing or weaving use? Maybe someone will know for sure.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
eveled

Post by eveled »

Those three posts are interesting. They look like they are for holding a cord or line. To tie a knot or repair a net?
just bob

Post by just bob »

Roland I've looked at hundreds of pictures on Google and don't see anything like it. Pretty sure it's illegal in 19 states and the District of Columbia. The closest things I see is a made in Mexico agave knife. Maybe for maize?
“The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.” (Paulo Coelho)

Men make plans and God laughs

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I wonder if it is for shell fish? The prongs could be used to crack open a shell. The blade looks a bit like an oyster knife.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Curious affects on the blade also, both sides. ::shrug::

Ken
Attachments
40B7A2CD-C52C-453E-8C01-F4655E84D97C.jpeg
40B7A2CD-C52C-453E-8C01-F4655E84D97C.jpeg (27.69 KiB) Viewed 4770 times
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Could be a "skull crusher" pommel? Looks kind of crudely made. Odd that the handle tapers smaller toward the cutting edge.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

This handle fits my hand nicely so it is quite comfortable in hand. This leads me to think it was made as a specific 'tool'. I too thought of fishermen weaving/repairing nets. The sharpened 'scallops' on the spine could cut nylon cord like fishing line or netting. But why the 3 shollow 'holes' stamped into blade flat ? Maker's mark ?
I have not traveled much but it remote village markets in Guatemala there are lots of crudely made mass produced tools of all sorts. I am sure similar markets are found in poor areas everywhere, worldwide.
If a 'low end' tool, which part of the world ? perhaps 'Middle East' or 'Far East' ? Do people still use these terms ? Older people will know what these refer to.
kj
Robo

Post by Robo »

Polish Huning Knife
Polish Huning Knife
From Slovakia
From Slovakia
kootenay joe wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:12 pm
This is either a tourist 'trinket' knife or a low end user knife for a specific use. If tourist it could be a scaled down version of a knife that is used by the local people.

HI KJ! My grandparants were born in Poland and went back there on vacation when I was a kid. They knew I liked knives and brought me back one just like yours--including the "triple glass breakers" on the pommel! The blade on mine wasn't much longer but it was more of a scimitar style. Very crudely made. So you might try searching Eastern European knives. Thanks for sharing!

PS: I went ahead and searched Traditional Polish Dagger and found the one above. It is Slovakian so I think Eastern European is the way to go in terms of searching for the origins and purpose of your knife.

PPS: Found another--this one is Polish. Handles are different but note the three stud pommels. This one is a lot like the one I remember my grandparents giving me.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Solved !
Thank you Rob. This little knife is definitely a cheaply made scaled down version of the Eastern European hunting knife you show. And you even had an example similar to mine !
Do you know if the 3 'studs' and 3 'holes' stamped into blade have a certain meaning or maybe function ? Could be an old local myth that 3 brings a hunter some luck ?? Old Polish grandparents might know !
Very neat, Thanks again.
kj
Robo

Post by Robo »

KJ--you're very welcome--I do not know what the studs are for or symbolic of, and my grandparents passed on years ago. But I am interested and will do a little more digging. Thanks for bringing back the memory of that knife, I had completely forgotten about it.
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

Just a guess but, is it possible that the studs were originally to clip into some sort of handle extension to turn the knife into a boar spear or something similar. This guess is based on the studs in all 3 posted examples being pretty similar and the pommels on all 3 being flat. thanks
Bruce
Stanwade

Post by Stanwade »

Roland —I wish my grandpap was still around, he would’ve known all about that knife I’m pretty sure.. his parents Immigrated from Poland in the early 1900s (Russian and Polish heritage).. anyway, cool knife! Here’s a little humor, a Polish tape measure..My father bought one for my grandpa similar to this one many years ago… He could take a joke though, though he acted like it bothered him sometimes just for kicks… I used to help my grandpa in the garden when I was a little kid and he probably had a knife similar to this one I just can’t remember for sure… He used to listen to the polkas on his little transistor radio all day out in the yard and we would shoot rabbits and groundhogs through the hedges with his pellet gun…he Had a decent sized lot in a little borough outside of town… Just figured someone might enjoy this story in these boring times!
Attachments
E7B9256E-474C-4DBB-8A41-9885DC28C334.jpeg
Ryan

“That’ll be the day”—-John Wayne

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”