Is Your Collection REALLY Complete???

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
BFORSE

Is Your Collection REALLY Complete???

Post by BFORSE »

You’ve finally found what you believe is the last specimen of your particular collection, but you are uncertain. Is your collection really complete??? This thread is where you can give specific parameters about what you are calling a complete collection, and ask fellow members if you are missing one.... or ten!!! ::mdm::
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Is Your Collection REALLY Complete???

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I buy what I like limited only by what I can afford. In mathematical terms, this is not a "closed set". Just like the universe, my collection expands without limit, and by all observations, the growth seems to be accelerating...
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

I am specifically collecting WW2 Camillus Wood Handled TL-29s and all their variations. So far I have 4:

2 brass liners, brass liner lock and 4 brass pins

2 brass liners, brass liner lock and 2 brass pins

2 brass liners, steel liner lock and 2 brass pins

No brass all steel

IS MY COLLECTION COMPLETE?
Attachments
E2AA6EF1-ECF9-408C-8D9F-1101BAD5475C.jpeg
77657ADA-B133-49E1-88CA-8AEC4DB9241A.jpeg
3738346D-F4A5-42DD-B6A2-AB75DB40C01A.jpeg
6D944098-D496-42C3-889E-BFCB12D71B3E.jpeg
BE8087EB-918B-470D-9BD3-F77AE971B30F.jpeg
2FADA1F3-5E44-4FC1-B8ED-3CCC579262B6.jpeg
657B3C87-AABF-4DA9-B339-BB4D77714EFC.jpeg
1A7E405D-28D5-464D-B770-D6D8B83EEF6C.jpeg
St. John Chapter 1
...12 But as many as received him (Jesus), to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God...
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 am I buy what I like limited only by what I can afford. In mathematical terms, this is not a "closed set". Just like the universe, my collection expands without limit, and by all observations, the growth seems to be accelerating...
::tu:: ::tu::
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

As I don't consider myself a collector but rather an,"indiscriminate accumulator" my collection will be complete only when I am no longer using oxygen.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
zzyzzogeton

Post by zzyzzogeton »

Subsets of my collections are complete, in that I am no longer actively looking for something to include in the particular subsets.

An example of this is the "at least 1 of each type of knife made by Western during WW2" collection. That sub-collection is complete. However, if I happen to run across a specimen that is in better condition than the one I have, well, if I have the funds, I'll go for it.

Some subsets are "nearly" complete, such as "1 of every bayonet made/used by the US military since 1900". That sub-collection is lacking 2 bayonets - a Krag bolo bayonet and a Johnson bayonet. Both are rare but I have hopes.

As to the collection of "1 of every fixed blade ever made by Western" well, that collection will probably never be finalized. Gives me something to do, looking for those 1928 to 1941 knives.

And then we have the Kabar collection, the Muela collection, the European bayonet collection, the........ :mrgreen:
KnifeSlinger#81

Post by KnifeSlinger#81 »

The thing about knife collecting is that I'm not trying to complete anything, I just like accumulating knives.
-Paul T.

WANTED: Shapleigh Diamond Edge branded Schrades in good condition.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Y'all are completely missing the point of the OP .. .. ..
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

royal0014 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:31 am Y'all are completely missing the point of the OP .. .. ..
Thank you, royal0014!
St. John Chapter 1
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Does anyone have a different variation than the ones I presented in the photos? Please keep in mind that I am only asking about WW2 Camillus Wooden Handled TL-29s.
St. John Chapter 1
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I always tell myself, "this is going to be my last knife." Then something catches my eye and I'm back to where I started... Right now I am looking for Boker Tang Stamp Series knives and Civil War set.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Complete? What is this heresy of which you speak? The only “collection” I have in my hoard is the 74X Western stockman patterns.

I have all the original bone handled ones. 741-746. If there were others I don’t know of them. Some are real nice, and others could be better. I’m always on the look out for better examples though, so I guess I’m not finished. lol

Here’s the ad that got me started. The only one not pictured is the 741, the muskrat. I didn’t even know about it until I ran up on one in my search for the ones shown in the ad. So I picked it up too.
8C5ACB46-62EC-4B41-8ABA-4116735AEEFF.jpeg
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Please, everyone read the first post. I am talking about a defined collection, as defined by the person collecting; not this “Pokémon (pocketknives), I got to collect them all!” ::dang::

Think, limited, by certain parameters.

But since that’s the kind of responses we’re getting here... ::facepalm::

Example: I like Pokémon (pocketknives) and I’ve decided to only collect yellow ones. Right now I have Pikachu, Beedrill and Hypno. Is my collection complete? Based on the collective knowledge here I would hope someone would point out that I’m missing Abra and Jolteon and....
St. John Chapter 1
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:03 pm Complete? What is this heresy of which you speak? The only “collection” I have in my hoard is the 74X Western stockman patterns.

I have all the original bone handled ones. 741-746. If there were others I don’t know of them. Some are real nice, and others could be better. I’m always on the look out for better examples though, so I guess I’m not finished. lol

Here’s the ad that got me started. The only one not pictured is the 741, the muskrat. I didn’t even know about it until I ran up on one in my search for the ones shown in the ad. So I picked it up too.
::ds::
Thank you, You get what is going on here!!! :D

74X Western stockman patterns 741-746 all bone.
Is that a complete collection? Colonel26 thinks that it is. Does anyone else have an example of one that fits those parameters that he doesn’t have?
St. John Chapter 1
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

BFORSE wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:26 pm
Colonel26 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:03 pm Complete? What is this heresy of which you speak? The only “collection” I have in my hoard is the 74X Western stockman patterns.

::ds::
Thank you, You get what is going on here!!! :D

74X Western stockman patterns 741-746 all bone.
Is that a complete collection? Colonel26 thinks that it is. Does anyone else have an example of one that fits those parameters that he doesn’t have?
Well as far as I know that was all the 74X patterns that were made. If I were to find out there were others the hunt would be on! lol.

But then there are the other accumulation that I don’t think will ever be complete. I’m not sure I can get hold of enough of my favorite patterns like CASE 6375 XX era, CASE Loomfixers, Camillus 72, Western whittlers, well you get the point. I’m a sick man. ::facepalm::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Perhaps this is the kind of thinking that makes folks collect one-of-a-kind "prototypes". ::hmm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

BFORSE wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:15 am I am specifically collecting WW2 Camillus Wood Handled TL-29s and all their variations. So far I have 4:

2 brass liners, brass liner lock and 4 brass pins

2 brass liners, brass liner lock and 2 brass pins

2 brass liners, steel liner lock and 2 brass pins

No brass all steel

IS MY COLLECTION COMPLETE?

I have no idea whether it is complete or not I don't even know how you'd tell that it was WWII era, enlighten me if you please.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Let me ask you this. If there is one out there that would fit into your collection (in your case WWII wood handled military electrician knives stamped with the military designation TL-29) and you've never seen it in any form, physically or a picture, you've never even heard of it in any way. How would you ever know if your collection is complete. I think at that point (you have every one you're aware of) you have to assume your collection is complete. Now, do you stop looking or do you continue to look for the one that doesn't exist even though you don't know it doesn't exist?

I know my Camillus 72 and clones is incomplete because I've seen pictures of clones that I don't have so I know they exist. My medium jack collection is incomplete and was never intended to be so I don't care. My Case Mini-Trapper collection will never be complete because I can never afford it. Lack of $$$ and the shear mass of knives that were made over the years, some I'm aware of, most that I am not aware of.

BUT my Puma Big Five Stockman collection is complete because I know for sure what was made and I have every one of them, all in pristine, factory condition. Case closed. -- Actually there were (I think) three Big Five collections made but I'm only talking about the Stockman set. --
Attachments
Puma Big Five Stockman Set 2 '80-'82.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

Jerryd6818

That is the whole point of the thread. I’m not going to assume that I have a complete collection based on my specifics; it is posted for all members to review. Maybe a member has a WW2 Camillus wood handles TL-29 that has 3 brass pins and one steel pin. Based on what I’m collecting that would be a variation of my specific collection that I don’t have and that I didn’t even know existed.
St. John Chapter 1
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

BFORSE wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm Jerryd6818

That is the whole point of the thread. I’m not going to assume that I have a complete collection based on my specifics; it is posted for all members to review. Maybe a member has a WW2 Camillus wood handles TL-29 that has 3 brass pins and one steel pin. Based on what I’m collecting that would be a variation of my specific collection that I don’t have and that I didn’t even know existed.
::hmm:: Perhaps if you had titled this thread " Is MY Collection Really Complete ? " you would have gotten the response you sought.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Ah hah. So you're actually fishing. Well good for you. A little clever perseverance and who knows what you'll come up with. I hope you find one you didn't know existed. I can tell you from personal experience, it's a thrill.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
BFORSE

Post by BFORSE »

philco wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:57 pm
BFORSE wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:45 pm Jerryd6818

::hmm:: Perhaps if you had titled this thread " Is MY Collection Really Complete ? " you would have gotten the response you sought.
Well, if someone only read the title and not the first post that describes what the thread is about; I could see how someone might come to that conclusion.
St. John Chapter 1

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”