NO PATTERN NUMBER

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
JoeBob441

NO PATTERN NUMBER

Post by JoeBob441 »

For Case XX knives what was the period of time when they did not use pattern numbers?

I have been told up to 1949, but wanted to check. I have searched a dozen times because I know the information is on AAPK but cannot get the right series of words into my search.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Re: NO PATTERN NUMBER

Post by Paladin »

Most Tested patterns did not have pattern numbers, 1920 to 1940.

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain
"I'm glad I ain't scared to be lazy." Augustus McCrae
JoeBob441

Post by JoeBob441 »

Thanks Paladine, but I was thinking about the XX period not the tested. So from 1940 to 64.
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

You are correct as to the most popular opinion of this period . To the best of my knowledge (which by itself dosen't amount to much) and the opinion of most knife scholars , after 1949 all Case knives were stamped with pattern numbers . See exerpt below from "Romance of Knife Collecting" (Revised Edition) 1970 by Dewey P. Ferguson page no. 62 .

Bob R. (RIDGEWOOD CUTLERY)
Attachments
Dewey Ferguson 1969 rev. 1970 001.JPG
JoeBob441

Post by JoeBob441 »

Thank you Robin. I appreciate your help and the fact you did some research for me.. I was surprised that I could not find the answer quick and easy. Here is a picture of the knife I bought without the pattern stamp.
6250 CASE XX NO PATTERN.JPG
Again Thanks,
Joe
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

Great knife ! That is my favorite style . I have several of those in "CASE XX" red bone and green bone (also reg bone) - some with pattern # and some without .

Bob
lowd

Post by lowd »

Don't know if this helps, but I have a M279 SS with the CASE XX over STAINLESS tang stamp which should indicate 1950 to 1964. This knife has no pattern number, so assuming I have the date range for the CASE XX over STAINLESS stamp correct, there were some knives still not getting the pattern number after 1949. Maybe this only applies to the stainless. ::shrug::
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

lowd wrote:Don't know if this helps, but I have a M279 SS with the CASE XX over STAINLESS tang stamp which should indicate 1950 to 1964. This knife has no pattern number, so assuming I have the date range for the CASE XX over STAINLESS stamp correct, there were some knives still not getting the pattern number after 1949. Maybe this only applies to the stainless. ::shrug::
The CASE XX over STAINLESS tang stamping was used on all CASE XX period knives that had stainless steel blades. That meas that it was used from the beginning of the CASE XX era, which was likely late 1945 or 1946.

There is no true documentation available on many of these things, such as the beginning of the CASE XX stamp or the beginning of the use of pattern numbers 100%. Much of it is informed speculation.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Steve, I've been collecting, primarily, Case for the past forty years. I'm still amazed at the little tidbits of information I have gained from your book and from your posts at this site.
Now, if I can retain them in my old age memory.........that may be another thing!

Paul
Zuber7

Post by Zuber7 »

I just acquired this Case with no number. It is Case Tested xx.
Attachments
1870.jpeg
1871.jpeg
1873.jpeg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

I don't think it's a Case.
Roger
Zuber7

Post by Zuber7 »

Can anyone tell me what this knife truly is?
olderdogs1

Post by olderdogs1 »

I would like to see a real close up picture of the tang stamp or stamps. Also what is the closed length? Hard to evaluate with the pictures and information given.

Tom
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Need some better, good clearer pictures taken on a neutral background (light gray or white) with good light. The knife looked off (as in not Case) to me the first time I saw it, but can't quite put my finger on what about it is off. May be the covers? To confirm its okay or not need better pictures, whole knife, both sides with blades closed and open without cutting off parts of it in the picture, and close ups of the tangs.

Please don't be offended. There are a lot of counterfeit knives, especially old Case Tested knives. Most are easy for an experienced eye to spot. Some however will fool most collectors. We've all been there or will be sooner or later (which is why we're all skeptics.) :lol:

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Zuber7

Post by Zuber7 »

Here are some closeup pictures of the Car knife. The knife is 4-1/8" closed.
Attachments
IMG_20180421_174607247.jpg
IMG_20180421_174342605.jpg
IMG_20180421_174227263.jpg
IMG_20180421_174015201.jpg
Zuber7

Post by Zuber7 »

Sorry, I meant Case Knife.
big monk

Post by big monk »

Welcome to the forum ::tu::
What throws me a little is how ""pocket worn"" the shield & scales are,compared to the tang stamp & blades ?? Not wanting to start a slinging match,but just seems like from the wear on the shield & handles,that the knife has been carried and used for many miles,not to wear the blades more ?? Tang stamp looks like it was stamped yesterday** Still a handsome Case Knife though** ::tu::
I'm not young enough,____to know everything !!!!!!!!!!!!

MONK****
bcyoung826

Post by bcyoung826 »

Can someone tell me about this knife? No pattern number just Case xx on both blades.
Attachments
IMG_3291.jpeg
IMG_3290.jpeg
IMG_3289.jpeg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

bcyoung826 wrote: Sat May 27, 2023 6:53 pm Can someone tell me about this knife? No pattern number just Case xx on both blades.
The knife is a “Muskrat” pattern, which to my knowledge has never had a pattern number. The knife has two identical “master” blades. Sometimes you’ll find a Muskrat on which the date code year stamps are mismatched (occasionally by several years). And at various times Case stamped the pattern name “MUSKRAT” on them. See the Case Pocket Knife Pattern Name Guide in the Research section here: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... -guide#d-o (scroll down to find the Muskrat pattern).

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”