Knives with Turquoise

A place to ask or answer knife related questions.
Sut Tatersaul

Knives with Turquoise

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
My knife collecting days at 86 yrs, are about over, but, I've never obtained one with my birthstone, used in it's construction. My birth month is December, and turquoise is the gemstone of that month. I've been researching makers, and their use of turquoise, and the more I research, the less correct, usable information I seem to have. I would appreciate the opinions, and expertise of our members on this matter. Thanks.

Sut Tatersual
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
Gunsil

Re: Knives with Turquoise

Post by Gunsil »

I do understand liking turquoise for a knife especially if it is your birthstone. The problem that arises here is that 99% of all turquoise on the market today, and all of it used for knife scales is not real 100% turquoise. Most turquoise mined in this country is of poor color and/or too soft for jewelry or knife scales. Therefore it is first dyed and then "stabilized" which is soaking it in epoxy or another plastic type polymer resin to make it harder. Even the stuff with good color that doesn't need dye is usually stabilized. If you don't mind having scales that are really blue plastic infused low grade rock go right ahead. Ask anybody you find who makes turquoise scales if the stone is dyed or stabilized before you buy just so you know what you are getting. The only really good color hard American turquoise available these days is "sleeping beauty" turquoise and it is gorgeous. The problem is that a cut and polished sleeping beauty stone about 1/2"x3/4" retails for around a hundred bucks and a piece the size for knife scales would be hard to find and VERY costly.
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

We go to the Tucson Rock and Gem show every year, starts app. 1-28-18
and runs thru 2-13 -18...ya mite find some sleeping beauty there as the only place
it comes from is about 50 miles from me in Globe, Arizona
There is a lot of it at the different locations they have in the Tucson show
its the biggest show of its kind and folk's from close to 100 countries come there to buy and sell their goods,
turquoise abounds.......

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
mrwatch

Post by mrwatch »

this ties into my recent response on another post. an article I read about lot's of fake jewelry being sold.
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

Turquoise is not my birthstone but it's so culturally American that I wanted it on some of my all American knives.
My research told me that turquoise is delicate and can degrade even when exposed to sweat, so at those prices I opted for recon stone. It's got the look, is durable as nails and even has a bit of cheap turquoise added in to justify its name I suppose. Applying real stone to a knife handle can also be a very delicate operation.
image.jpeg
Muskrat Man did all my rehandling.
Congratulations on a great birthstone!
stagman
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by stagman »

Edgewise...that Barkie drop point is gorgeous !!! And you are so right
on the turquoise...way I have heard it is re-constituted turquoise is just
small tiny pieces of chips, scraps if you will, of turquoise that is ground into a
powder, paste, and some how put all back together and re-hardened
So, you really could have solid 100% turquoise, only in re-constituted form

Stag
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/stagman
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Knives with turquoise from Bulgarian knife makers.

Nikola Kovachev
Attachments
025059816.jpg
025059817.jpg
Eustace

Post by Eustace »

Mihail Kоchev
Attachments
6af46fccf2ca2b6ea1ccc40e2133cf6b.jpg
5e67b8ab0c69.jpg
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Well, Folks, after studying two separate threads on this forum about birthstones, and Turquoise, I'm about as confused, and undecided as I'm going to let myself get. There was a time when I could have selected, one of the many, nice turquoise rings that my wife and I have, and simply cut off the ring portion of the ring, and fastened the head of it, onto a money clip type knife, and my wants for a birthstone, turquoise, knife would be taken care of. I can't do that now, because my skills, along with my memory, left me about the same time arthritis arrived. Back in the seventies my wife, and I gathered a meager, but carefully selected collection, of native American jewelry, containing silver, turquoise, Coral, bear claws etc. So, I have many items, containing my birthstone, turquoise, to wear, that is if, I had the guts to do it, today It's no longer considered fashionable, for an "Old Poop" to wear "Indian Jewelry". I guess I'll have to buy one of the better, made, stabilized turquoise handled knives, try to build one, or forget about it , ether "lay an egg or get off the nest". Thanks for all of the help from the folks on both threads.

Sut Tatersaul
eveled

Post by eveled »

I think a ring sized piece would make a nice embellishment on a wood handled knife. Then it would showcase that it was a "birth stone", rather than a whole turquoise handle.

I guess my thinking is what would you do if you were born in April with a diamond? Or July with a Ruby? Pick a nice piece and have it "set" into the handle.
dweb1897

Post by dweb1897 »

You might want to check out item # 142620427007 on Ebay
I have a hard time trusting someone who doesn't like dogs...but if my dog doesn't like someone, I'll trust that.
Acorn, a better friend than I deserved, gone but never forgotten...run fast and free 11-5-2018 I'll see you soon
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I decided to just jump in and buy a knife that had turquoise, my birthstone, used in its construction. I found a very helpful knife dealer, that had what I wanted, and bought one. I received it today, and have almost wore it out fondling, and admiring it. I took some photos of it to share with you folks. This knife has, in addition to turquoise, has two Fire Opals, on each side, they also have historical meaning to me. After all of the research, and worrying about the correct knife to buy, I couldn't be more pleased with this one.

Chubbo
Attachments
DSC01953.JPG
DSC01954.JPG
DSC01957.JPG
DSC01958.JPG
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Good looking knife Sut. Congratulations on finding what you were seeking.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Striking knife Sut - congratulations on finding your knife. OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Lookin' good! I always like to see someone find what they are searching for. Congratulations on a successful mission.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Congratulations Sut, ::tu:: Fine looking trapper, the opals and black background are a nice contrast imo. ::tu::
terryl308
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by terryl308 »

Glad you got what you were looking for, nice knife! I have tried to use turquoise made knife scales and it doesn't drill real well. (It broke!) If you can get it on the tang and drilled it is pretty nice stuff however. ::handshake:: Terry
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

A lovely knife. Congratulations on your acquisition ::groove:: Sut.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

I have a question, about the care of turquoise. I use Renaissance wax on many things, but, should I use it on my new knife, with turquoise, and opals? What is the opinion of the experts of this forum, on this matter? Thanks.

Sut Tatersaul

Return to “Knife Related Q&A”