Ganzo FH41 D2 ( 3 kinds of sharp )

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
old4570

Ganzo FH41 D2 ( 3 kinds of sharp )

Post by old4570 »

My brother got himself a Ganzo FH21 , and then gave it to me to test . I put my guided knife sharpener edge on it and cut rope . The knife failed at 450 slices . Right where I like my D2 , but this was not my knife ( boo ) ::huff::
Obviously I had to buy a Ganzo ::tu::

What was ordered was the Ganzo FH41 as I liked the blade profile more .
As it came I only had two things to complain about .
1) Flipper Tab - So painful to use . Those deep groves cut into it really hurt my finger , we are talking painful to flip the blade ! It really needed to be De - Horned .
2) Liner lock - Was so soft ! The knife would gravity open . ( I don't like that ) So I had to pull the knife apart and bend the liner so as to increase tension . Now the liner lock is as I want it , no to lose , not to tight , but rather - just right !

Aside from those two things the knife was pretty much everything I wanted from a flipper .

A) Knife looks good 9/10
B) Knife feels good 8/10
C) knife was bolted together good 7/10
D) Knife performs - Houston , we have a problem . ::woot::

The knife was very sharp as delivered , and I was seriously looking forward to some rope cutting .
The edge failed at 50 slices ::uc:: , yeah . That was a surprise .
So a new 22deg 180 grit diamond edge was put on the knife . And back to the rope we go . This is the same edge that my brothers knife took to 450 slices of rope . ::tu:: And two of my other D2 Chinese knives to 450 .
What I got was some 200 slices of rope , half of what I was expecting considering the hardness of the blade when sharpened . ::hmm::
Yeah , something was going on here .
The next edge was cut with my whetstone grinder / knife sharpener . When I cut an edge I use a jewellers magnifier ( machine cut ) so as to remove as little steel as possible . Under the ( ? is it 30x or 20x Don't remember ) And what I saw were a lot of micro fractures on the cutting edge . All shapes and sizes were forming on the very cutting edge . This is rather new to me . The cutting edge was fracturing when machine cut . ::shrug::
Were the fractures already there ? ( I suspect so from the poor showing with my standard edge )

With the machined edge and micro fractures the knife went ? Well you can call it either at 300 or 350 . So looks like , maybe something was NQR with the heat treat . Was the steel too hot , or cooled incorrectly ? Obviously something has happened and the cutting edge has micro fractures .
The knife cuts rope with ease , there is no issue cutting the rope . The issue lies with the test medium which is supposed to tell me when the knife is no longer sharp or as sharp . Paper being fibrous , those micro fractures are going to catch the paper fibres and tear the paper like a dull edge . ::teary_eyes::

Yeah , that's the rough end of the pineapple for sure !
Makes it a little hard to show the knives true potential when stuff happens .
But there you go , something different . Ganzo is not on my banned list , because at least they made the effort to do the right thing . ( Make a decent knife )
my brothers FH21 is great , my FH41 isnt so great . It works , it cuts , but just knowing it has micro fractures ::mdm::
kootenay joe

Re: Ganzo FH41 D2 ( 3 kinds of sharp )

Post by kootenay joe »

I have both the Ganzo 21 &41. Both arrived with sharp edges, no need to do anything except use them. I think they are very good knives and the prices are low.
kj

Return to “General Knife Discussion”