Kershaw Fraxion Knife Review

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

What in tarnation is up with this super lightweight sharp knife?

I’ve tried to dull this blade. I have. I’ve asked it to swallow cardboard and it has, willfully. Heavy duty thick cardboard that are created to transport metal tool chests.

Truth be told, I expected the knife to break….it’s extremely lightweight and well, feels like it’ll crumble at the sign of actually thinking about cutting something. Right from the start of this knife review I thought, if this knife falls apart in my hands…..I will report it as doing just THAT!!! And, truthfully I expected the Fraxion to do just that, BUT………...I’m still using and abusing it for a short time before I give it to my nephew. He loved the ease of opening and smoothness of the knife while I laid it down in between cuts of my dinner.

Details:
KVT ball-bearing opening
Handle: G10 with carbon fiber overlay
Inset liner lock
Reversible pocket clip (left/right, tip-up)
Steel: 8Cr13MoV, black-oxide Blackwash finish

Two options for pocket clip carry: Tip up right pocket, or tip up left pocket. The clip will need to be adjusted to fit your desired carry location!!

Easy deployment….it’s not assisted open with an innerspring, rather ease of flow when depressing the finger spine.

I can’t find anything bad to say in this knife review about the Kershaw Fraxion…..

I’d recommend them to anyone and give them as wedding gifts to the groomsmen!!

Steel Sahlute!

P.S. - I posted this with more pics to my website if interested!!
Attachments
KershawFraxionReview.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Re: Kershaw Fraxion Knife Review

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

Carbon fiber in knife handles always catches my eye - I love the way it looks!

Since we are generally all traditional pocket knife aficionados, it is tempting to think the old is always better than the new. That's certainly true in many, many other products. But the reality is that there are A LOT of really excellent & reasonably priced modern knives currently being produced - and many of those knives are being produced outside of the USA. They use good steel, good lock designs, good ergonomics and good fit & finish - all the ingredients of a darn nice tool that is a pleasure to use. Kershaw makes very good knives at very reasonable prices.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Good review TripleF. And an honest one. Seems like an honest new knife.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Kershaw Fraxion Black + Features.jpg
It also comes in blue and olive.
Kershaw Fraxion.jpg
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

8Cr13MoV steel is a Chinese steel used in many of their under $50 knives. SanRenMu uses this steel almost exclusively. I think it is also the steel in Rough Rider folding knives.
They (the Chinese) must have the tempering perfectly figured out because just as Scott says, it takes a very sharp edge and holds it 2 or 3 times longer than you are expecting
The next steel 'up' is 9Cr13MoV. It edge holds even a bit longer.
kj
TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I think RR uses 440A: http://www.roughriderknives.com/stockma ... ne-handle/

Spyderco uses 8CR13MOV in their Chinese knives like the Tenacious, Ambitious and their Byrd line. It's also used by CRKT and many others.
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett

Return to “General Knife Discussion”