Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Bamarick

Re: Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

Post by Bamarick »

I just received my Best Work Knife yesterday. Thanks Michael, that was quick. My first impression is that this is a well made solid knife. Everything is tight, it is nice and sharp, and the size is great for just about anything I'll need it for. I put it in my pocket this morning and left the Kershaw " Needs Work" at home. I'll use this one for EDC and give it a good test run. Updates to come. Thanks again Michael.
Ricky
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I received the knife from Michael in yesterday's mail. Out-of-the-box impression was very good. Excellent fit and finish, smooth operation (maybe a little stiff but not unexpected for a new knife, and not enough so that it couldn't be opened easily enough with one hand). I did what I always do with any new knife - put a drop of oil in the blade pivot.

As I was oiling it my wife came in with one of her eyebrow pencils she wanted sharpened. Quick work, and made some very nice but short little wood shavings! I'll give it an A+ for sharpness and have a bald spot on my arm to prove it.

Didn't have time to do it yesterday but today I'll put a short lanyard on the knife (which has a lanyard hole for that purpose) and slip it into the back pocket of my jeans. Nothing wrong with the nylon sheath that came with the knife - I just prefer back pocket carry for a knife this size, and already carry a Leatherman on my belt. Either that or I need to get a Batman utility belt. ::facepalm::

Looking forward to using the knife and reporting back. Thanks Mike!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I also received a knife from Mike yesterday. I agree the F&F is outstanding. I think the sheath is a little to "cheapy", but I'm going to carry the knife in it while I do the testing. More to come later.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Regarding knife sheaths for the work-knives: We have found they are a mixed bag -- unlike the knives, some were made better than others. Our quality control was not as good when it came to the sheaths, and about 1 out of 8 of them have yielded complaints, which is above what we hold as our acceptable thresh-hold (1% or 1 out of 100 is our view of an acceptable threshold). The majority of our customers, however, do like and use them. Whenever a customer has brought a sheath problem to our attention we have offered to replace them. Not everyone is a sheath user - that's why we put the lanyard ferrule in the knife. Our original testers hated sheaths and used the lanyard carry. Our bottom line is that we do not like to ship naked knives - so the sheath was originally for providing a covering for the knife in shipping and a side benefit for those who wanted to use it for carry purposes. Our first work-knives were boxed without a sheath and we had a smattering of requests for sheaths. Our second version was sheathed without a box.
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Just found this thread, if you need another tester, I wouuld be happy to try one, I do alot of whittling and would love to try the serrated blade.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It's been just over a month now since I received the "Best Work Knife" from Michael, so it's time for some feedback. As stated previously the knife was shaving-sharp out of the box, with excellent fit and finish. I put a short leather lanyard through the lanyard hole and have been back-pocket carrying the knife daily.

So far the knife has met every task I've put it to. In addition to common every day opening of boxes and feed bags, etc, it has:

Cut through a huge mess of polyester hay baling twine that somehow accumulated inside my round baler (took about 2-1/2 hours to clean it all out!)

Cut the wings off dead pigeons which were then attached to "dummies" used for training dogs.

Trimmed the excess off the strips used to plug a puncture hole in a tractor tire. Used the serrated portion of the blade for this as the non-serrated portion wouldn't cut it. If not for the serrated blade I probably would have had to use dykes to cut it.

I have not attempted to sharpen it yet. The knife still has a good edge but no longer sharp enough to shave the hair on my arm. Functionally the knife has met expectations, and is still as tight as it was when received. I'll use it a while longer before trying to sharpen it - probably try using a steel on it first. Will cover in my next report.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I'll give an update on my Best Work Knife too. I received it on July 28,2016. It was nice and sharp and was tight and solid right out of the box. Since I got it I have carried it every day. I work at a job where we have to cut the twine from bales of straw, lots of bales, and it has done a great job with that. I have also opened quite a few boxes and bags with it. I have sharpened it once with a sharpening stone and it only took a few passes to get it back to shaving sharp. I just used it to peel an apple and it did a nice job on that even with the serrated edge. So far it has done everything I've asked of it. It seems to be just a good all around knife for EDC. I'll send further updates but thanks again Michael.
Rick
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

I'm always interested in heavy duty knives just for the sake of overkill, so I'm interested to know why the liner lock was chosen over the back lock, which I thought was a stronger lock, or even a frame lock.
I also like to compare knives and the best difference I can see here is the strength of the pivot pin area which takes added pressure, kinda like the extra long Barlow bolster; and the pivot strength also has to step up to suit that beautiful, powerful blade geometry.
I have to admit that if I suddenly need to pry something and all I have at hand is a folding knife then that's what I'll use. ::paranoid::
Is there anything I'm missing of the commercial grade additions over other knives?
Of course the big shocker was the low price for this knife, but I suppose it's just an introductory price.
Oh and one more thing, I always avoid serrations but if I knew how to sharpen them properly I'd probably grow to love them.
And one more thing, big congratulations on Best Work Knife. It certainly stands out front and center. ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”