GEC Field & Farm Tool 215114 Knife Review

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

GEC Field & Farm Tool 215114 Knife Review

Post by TripleF »

GEC GREAT EASTERN CUTLERY FIELD FARM TOOL BULL BUSTER KNIFE REVIEW

First off……..WOWZAH……is that a name for a knife or what! :-O
Secondly……it’s been a pleasure carrying this knife for the past 6 months. And that’s something I’ve yet to say. I’ve scored a couple of knives a perfect 10 Steel Sahlutes! But have yet to say it’s been a pleasure to carry.
Maybe it’s the way I’ve carried it – in a Winchester nylon fold over top Velcro sheath that I scored at a garage sale for a quarter…..

Details:
Folding slip-joint (non-locking) pocket knife
Blade material – 1095 carbon steel
Handle – Linen micarta (Maroon)
OAL (Overall (open) Length) – 8.5”
Item# 215114

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Before I go into the Steel Sahlute Score….there’s something I have to share. It came to me when I was contemplating the way I wanted to describe how I felt with this knife in tow. I thought it too big to be a folding pocket knife, but it wasn’t a fixed blade knife either, but……but I loved the Uumph” it offered like a fixed blade. Then…………………..today it came to me. This GEC Field and Farm Tool is indeed a folding fixed blade knife!!! Clear as vodka…….exactly the perfect way to describe this Great Eastern Cutlery creation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TripleF (Fit, Finish & Functionality): 9.9
The handles on this pocket knife are Maroon (color) Linen Micarta (materials). Micarta is a cool way of making handles for a knife……however since there’s a lot of epoxy and resin in the mixture, if the knife is dropped it can make a “ding” or crunch, and it did just that on mine. I don’t even remember dropping it, but there’s a nice little ding on one of the handle corners now 
Halft-stop fan? This beast is righteous! Be aware of the half-stop…..just sayin’.

Tight. Firm. Solid. Precision. - all words that come to mind when thinking about the quality production of this knife.

Accessibility: 8.7
I carried this folder on my belt in a Velcro nylon Winchester sheath (hey, it worked) just like I’d carry a fixed blade knife! There’s a couple steps to open, and it does require 2 hands, so I always detract a little because my beliefe in the perfect world of knife accessibility you only need one hand. But that’s my world. But I’m the one handing out the scores soooooooooooooo…….

Sharpening – 9.8
I’m a huge fan of carbon steel (steel that tarnishes and shows stains – unlike “stainless” steel) knives. And this pocket knife is made of 1095 carbon steel. The main reason I’m a fan is ease of sharpening. I kept my edge by stropping it a few times on an old leather belt and sharpening rod. Keep that in mind there…….I kept the edge by stropping it on an old leather belt. (Head to the thrift store and pick up a couple leather belts, one for home, one for the garage and one for your Get Home Bag).
I did put a new edge on by hand with a few old sharpening stones and turned out perfect as well!
Huge fan of Great Eastern Cutlery carbon steel anything actually!
Collectability -8.7
Straight out of the round tube the knife beckons….”put me to work!” With that in mind I forsee it being used as opposed to collected. However, when knives are dated and available in different colors, we know from the world of Case Knives that creates a following…….of users and collectors.

Value- 10.0
I love American made knives! I do. When it’s made in the USA and it’s of serious quality the item gets a 10.0 Steel Sahlutes in the Value Category especially when it’s priced in the $70.00 range.
Whether a collectible or a workhorse, this is another Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) folding knife I highly recommend!

Final Steel Sahlute Score on this Knife Review = 9.42 out of a possible 10!!

Thanks for checking in on this review. Please support this company anyway possible to keep these knife craftsman employed and support me by clicking on any Amazon ad (on the right) before you purchase ANYTHING from Amazon. Each sale helps me earn a little to help pay for hosting!

Steel Sahlute fellow lovers of the steel!
Scott Rauber

The review can be seen with pictures on my blog:
http://pocketknivesblog.com/great-easte ... fe-review/
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Cutty

Re: GEC Field & Farm Tool 215114 Knife Review

Post by Cutty »

Great review Scott ::tu::

Enjoyed reading it as usual :D
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Thanks Brian! I actualy thought of you when I wrote the half stop is "righteous"!

::tu::
SCOTT

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

I liked reading the review, Scott.
How long is the knife closed?
Joe
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

bout 4.5"
SCOTT

Producer

Post by Producer »

Thanks for this review. I'm considering getting one of these.
It would be my first GEC. I like it.
I never met a Schrade I didn't like
Cutty

Post by Cutty »

TripleF wrote:Thanks Brian! I actualy thought of you when I wrote the half stop is "righteous"!

::tu::

Yeah Scott, you know I DIG THEM HALF STOPS :mrgreen:
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Producer wrote:Thanks for this review. I'm considering getting one of these.
It would be my first GEC. I like it.

I highly recommend it! You won't be dissappointed! ::tu:: ::nod::
SCOTT

Onearmbladejunkie

Post by Onearmbladejunkie »

I just bought a new Farm & Field GEC#215119 black linen micarta knife. I have one arm. I open most of my folders with my feet and a CASEXX blade pick. Most GEC knives open like butter for me. I put the #21 between my knees and use my left thumb nail. (less nail breaking with GEC knives)
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Onearmbladejunkie wrote:I just bought a new Farm & Field GEC#215119 black linen micarta knife. I have one arm. I open most of my folders with my feet and a CASEXX blade pick. Most GEC knives open like butter for me. I put the #21 between my knees and use my left thumb nail. (less nail breaking with GEC knives)
I just finished (not published) of the one arm opening blade 350217
SCOTT

cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

With your review on the Calf Pen, I've finally decided on this model. Unfortunately, all the micarta versions seem to be sold out; but I have no problem with the orange Delrin version. At $67 it's a good value. I just wish that Knives Ship Free sold them with a belt sheath, not a slip. In my opinion, those are really only needed with fancy scale materials and the only knife I use one on has horn scales. Belt sheaths are for real working knives. In July, another forum I'm on is doing a 30-day GEC challenge, but for sure I'll be using the knife before then. I'm buying it within the next week or so.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”