Perhaps this is a new product announcement.

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
MJC

Perhaps this is a new product announcement.

Post by MJC »

Being very interested in materials I have over the years accumulated some very interesting wood and metal. It annoys my wife having to accommodate large bits of historic metal and wood but that's life - 'I suppose'. It's fifty years since man landed on the moon and we have created a pocket knife which incorporates the metal of a V1 which came down in 1944 in the UK. The knife is to commemorate this truly epic event. It's at the bottom of the home page on Sheffield-gb.com I remember standing on Omaha beach and talking to the General by phone who got the Americans off the beach and what inspired him on the day of the landings and the knife is also a commemoration of the 75th anniversary of that epic day.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Perhaps this is a new product announcement.

Post by jerryd6818 »

This was copied from the page referenced above.

"The German rocket came down in 1944 in Orlestone Forest near Shadowoxhurst in Kent. the knife is a Sheffield made pocket knife with rosewood grips into whcih is set the rocket fragments. It’s fifty years since man set foot on the moon and the V1 and V2 which were Hitlers terror weapons heralded the dawn of the rocket age. Including UK postage, boxed and with a letter on hand made paper describing the knife whcih as been made in a limited edition of ten the price is £95"
V1-doodlebug-metal
V1-doodlebug-metal
V1-doodlebug-metal.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
V1-buzzbomb-knife
V1-buzzbomb-knife
V1-buzzbomb-knife.jpg (18.05 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Corso

Post by Corso »

I would question the authenticity

Modern made sheffield knives are on the whole sadly lacking adding a beat up bit of metal wouldn't make me part with £95/$120+ for one

if I wanted a rocket fragment I would either look towards a militeria or metal detecting forum or ask my dad and his gang who as a kid used to play in the bombed out london buildings looking for souvenirs
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Corso wrote:I would question the authenticity

Modern made sheffield knives are on the whole sadly lacking adding a beat up bit of metal wouldn't make me part with £95/$120+ for one

if I wanted a rocket fragment I would either look towards a militeria or metal detecting forum or ask my dad and his gang who as a kid used to play in the bombed out london buildings looking for souvenirs
::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Corso

Post by Corso »

sorry I seemed a bit harsh - I just don't think, from experience that the knife would be remotely worth it - I'd put it in the catagory of the A Wright folders in production over here that you can get for around £20.

Adding a piece of metal reportidly from an old bomb doesn't, in my opinion add any value. Its quite dark infact since they caused so much fear and damage here.

It's also worth noting that since the handles are made of rosewood it would probably fall fowl of the CITES Law if they try and export it
MJC

Post by MJC »

'CITES Appendix II now exempts “finished products to a maximum weight of wood of the listed species of 500g per item”
Just trying to help.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”