Spare motor for direct buffer question.

This forum is for posting step by step techniques used in the art of making, customizing, and repairing knives. Please stop by and teach a few things or maybe learn something new from the talented members of AAPK.
Stringplucker

Spare motor for direct buffer question.

Post by Stringplucker »

I have an old Power Poise motor (115V, 4.4A, 1/4 HP, 1725 RPM) that I'd like to adapt into a direct drive buffer/polisher. It has a 5/8" shaft that I can mount an arbor to. Not knowing much about motors and such, do you think this motor would be up to the job of polishing some of the older blades I use to make new knives? I'll probably only use 6" buffs and wheels, with maybe the occasional run with an 8".

This will tide me over for awhile til I can get a proper buffer/polisher
Jon
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Spare motor for direct buffer question.

Post by orvet »

1/4 hp is what a lot of Baldor buffers are.
It will probably work great. If it is not strong enough, just lighten up a little, but I doubt you will have any trouble.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: I used an old 1/4 hp motor out of an old furnace fan, worked great.An arbor for the shaft and 6" wheels will work good, just secure it to your workbench. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

Thanks for the answers. I have a spare grinder pedestal that I'll be using it with instead of a bench. I'll use a piece of wood between the motor and pedestal since the holes don't line up. I have an old rubber welcome mat that I'll cut and place between the motor and wood to absorb any vibrations the wheel and arbor will give. If all goes well, I should be able to use this for a number of years, provided the vibrations are controlled and the bearings don't wear out. I've cleaned the bearings and will be installing new oil cups with wicks to keep it well oiled. I just need to mount a switch on the pedestal in an area I can hit it with my knee just in case anything goes nuts and my hands can't get to it.
Jon
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

This is a homemade buffer I use. My dad made it and I think he said it is a 1/4 hp washing machine motor.
It has 6 inch wheels on it in this picture but I am currently running it with an 8 inch wheel on one side. Doesn't even seem to slow down appreciably with the 8 inch wheel. It's a great secondary buffer. I need to put together another buffer so I don't have to change wheels is often.
Attachments
Homemade buffer.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

I've got a small belt driven grinder like that in a box somewhere, but it would be too small for what I'm wanting to do. I just checked on Ebay and found a couple that look promising. I'll go with the arbor and use it direct til I make sure the motor will handle the constant run and some resistance before I throw out $30 or so on another piece that may or may not work. I'd hate to get all the pieces together, only to find out that the motor overheats after 3 minutes of use.

If I had a mill, I'd weld up a couple of pieces of CRS, bore a hole, add bearings, shaft and v-pulley and make it myself. Living with limited means is a bit of a challenge at times. LOL
Jon
Stringplucker

Post by Stringplucker »

After weighing price and desire to get started before next week, I decided on getting a double arbor buffer from Harbor Freight for now. I'll still get the arbor adapter for the motor I have, but will do that in a few months. I've got a few things that need polished up now instead of later. Price for arbor, two wheels and compound would be around $40 online. The price for the whole buffer with two wheels is a couple bucks more, and I think I can get by with the compounds I have for now.

What I may wind up doing eventually is getting a SS brush for it for brushed finishes and see how it goes. I've got some ideas for some shell handle to barehead conversions made of brass or aluminum.
Jon

Return to “Knife Related Tutorials”