I need some advice on this Case rehandle.

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Nev52

I need some advice on this Case rehandle.

Post by Nev52 »

I just wanted to get some advice and guidance on this handle repair. I have a friend who would like this Case liner lock rehandled in bone. Should I dissemble the whole knife? I was thinking of removing the handles and using epoxy and trying to pin the handle. How would some of you approach this repair? I don’t want to screw this up. You know the saying no good deed goes unpunished.
Thanks for the information
Have a good thanksgiving
Nev
Case Trapper lock.jpg
Meridian_Mike

Re: I need some advice on this Case rehandle.

Post by Meridian_Mike »

To do it right....
I would say you would at least have to remove the rocker pin and the rear bolster pin. That way, you can open the knife completely and get to the 2 pins that hold the cover on.
I have seen one of Muskratman's videos where he shows how to install new covers without taking the knife apart. I have tried it and it does work. BUT, it does take some skill...... (and luck in my opinion). I would try it on my own stuff before I tried on another person's knife.

NOW, when I recover a knife with a new set of scales, I take it completely apart. That way, I can completely clean it and make sure all parts fit back together well. I can also repair and weak areas. BUT.... that is for a knife with wear. Not a "like new" knife. That knife looks almost new.

I am sure Glenn will chime in because he does do a lot of work like you are describing.
The biggest thing like you have said above, is overcoming the fear of screwing up another person's knife. That is a fear I still live with. I don't trust myself with someone else's property. My fear is that I can not produce a result that will be pleasing to to the owner.
I hope to overcome that some day before I leave this earth.... BUT, until then, I just work on my stuff.... LOL.

Good luck....
NOW, I want to learn from some other mechanics!

:D
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

I'm with Mike - I always disassemble a knife completely when I am installing new handle scales. Aside from the aspect of being able to thoroughly clean and straighten all of the parts and do any other repairs and improvements (like smoothing and polishing the pivot contact areas), the biggest thing for me is being able to properly peen and tighten the scale pins. Yes, it can be done without disassembling the knife, but I don't think you can do as good of a job. Any time that I get a knife in with a scale pin that has pulled loose from the inside of the liner I am reminded of this. With that said, If I get a knife with just one loose scale pin, and that one loose pin is all that needs to be addressed, I probably won't take it apart and I will just replace that pin using my improvised stiddy, and hope for the best. I know, maybe I am just a bit anal about this. ::hmm::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

Take it apart. (Dont loose or bend the bushing in the pivot pin.)
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks for the advice men. I am intimidated working on someone’s new knife. I just wanted to get some ideas on how I should go about the rehandle I am still contemplating doing the repair. ::undecided:: So if I get up the courage to do it I will post the pictures.
Thanks
Nev
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

I have tried to replace handles without disassembling the knife, and I have not figured out the knack for it. I know the process, but have a harder time getting the handle pins to hold, & still not protrude too much on the inside of the liners.
That is much easier to do when the knife is apart.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
Meridian_Mike

Post by Meridian_Mike »

Reverand wrote: Thu Nov 24, 2022 4:54 am I have tried to replace handles without disassembling the knife, and I have not figured out the knack for it. I know the process, but have a harder time getting the handle pins to hold, & still not protrude too much on the inside of the liners.
That is much easier to do when the knife is apart.
Exactly... and when the knife is apart, you can countersink the liner holes so the pin can be "flared" into the hole. Then you can file the pin flat against the liner for a better hold and a better finish.

Much easier when the knife is apart.

Maybe just ask the owner of the knife if he is willing to accept the result of your efforts.
You know.... no guarantees but you will do your best.
Maybe that will help you be more at ease with someone else's knife.

Good luck!

::tu::
"Life is tough.... but it's tougher if you're stupid."....John Wayne
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

I suggest you give the owner the contact information of one of our several "experts" on AAPK. That's not intended to denigrate your abilities. Just takes the monkey off your back.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
glennbad
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by glennbad »

I am with others...the right way to do it is to take it apart. The only thing I would add is that you should probably do your finishes in advance where the liner lock area is, cause it will be tougher to sand and buff once everything is together.
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thank all of you for the advice. ::handshake::

Nev
Oledadsknives

Post by Oledadsknives »

Just jump in there Nev with both feet! Thinking about doing something like this is always a lot harder than doing it. You will do this fellas knife proud I’m sure. Just take your time and think about it like I did when I did bodywork. I would always treat the customers car or truck like it was my own and fix it like I would want it fixed. You got this!!

Jimbo
You can lead a person to wisdom, but you can’t make them think ::nod::
Where I am is where I’ll be!!
Jimbo
Nev52

Post by Nev52 »

Thanks everyone for your input on this. After telling my friend I was apprehensive about replacing the handles on a new knife. He decided to purchase a kick start trapper from Shepherd hills in bone. I purchased his old trapper and will use it for now. I also purchased a slim line trapper from Reverend and will experiment on that. I am thinking about adding rear bolsters to knife ::hmm:: and putting on bone handles.
Nev
case slimline trapper.jpg
case slimline trapper.jpg (2.83 KiB) Viewed 363 times

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”