Tang half stop worn uneven, can it be repaired?

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Tang half stop worn uneven, can it be repaired?

Post by Gone2Three »

Hello friends,

I happened upon this old knife for $20 bucks shipped, so I don't have much to lose if this happens to be something that isn't worth the effort to fix

Wanted to ask if there's anyone here up to repairing the uneven end tang wear on the primary blade of this?

Or is it even cost effective to do so?

I tried to get a clear picture of what I was trying to represent, but it has a slight lip or edge where its worn or rounded a smooth curve but retained the small sliver of the tangs original shape...
Kinda like it was pivoting slightly when being opened, so over time it wore unevenly
As it stands the blade has no half stop and has to be pushed back down into place
The pen blade has half stop, and snaps back
Slight separation on the bottom as the blade pushes it out when opened
Also has scuffed ends on both the bolsters... uncertain what happened with that ::shrug::

Any help or feedback would be appreciated ::handshake::
Randy
Attachments
20220929_133031.jpg
20220929_132926.jpg
20220929_125038.jpg
20220929_123926.jpg
20220929_123628.jpg
20220929_123546.jpg
BIGHEAD

Re: Tang half stop worn uneven, can it be repaired?

Post by BIGHEAD »

Yes it can be repaired.
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

I kinda thought it might be... I've seen some pretty amazing outcomes posted throughout this forum from our talented knife mechanics

Now comes the bigger question... whom might be able to take this on, and how much will it cost
Is this brand worth putting in the work for, and would it hurt the value if it might be a rare brand

Randy
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Randy, "lyon Cutlery" is a mark used by Maher & Grosh 1883-1913 and, IMHO, that knife is definitely worth restoring. In addition to the obvious wear on the blade tangs, I'm willing to bet that the springs have divots worn in them where the tangs rub on the springs, and the knife also obviously needs to be repinned. So, you are looking at a complete restoration. I only work on my own knives, and some for a few close friends, but any of the excellent knife mechanics we have here on AAPK can do this work.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Gone2Three »

herbva wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:42 pm Randy, "lyon Cutlery" is a mark used by Maher & Grosh 1883-1913 and, IMHO, that knife is definitely worth restoring. In addition to the obvious wear on the blade tangs, I'm willing to bet that the springs have divots worn in them where the tangs rub on the springs, and the knife also obviously needs to be repinned. So, you are looking at a complete restoration. I only work on my own knives, and some for a few close friends, but any of the excellent knife mechanics we have here on AAPK can do this work.
Appreciate the information Herb ::handshake:: hadn't seen this stamp before and that is why I scooped it up without question

If there's a knife mechanic who has time (I know most have a heavy workload) and is interested in taking this one on, please contact me through Private message and we can discuss details on the repair / restoration

Randy

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”